WoW Scape Judgement

Guest Stab

IMHO it all works out well. mangos is the most stable community I've ever seen. No daily bash times, or worse things, and thats a definite win.

Agreed, I think mostly this is because of that all leaders and developers of this project have a very correct attitude and the same goals. Every time there's a reason to flame or accuse someone/something it is immediately interrupted. Its not only a stable but a clean community, no code-stealing, no dishonesty, no bad relationships with others. Ultimate goal is to learn and this is one of few projects of this size I've ever seen that actually has managed to accomplish this. I'm actually amazed by mangos, watching sooo many other projects failing after only a few months or a year. Mangos is the only one still standing and despite that still having a very bright future.

This have inspired me to start my own open-source projects and has taught me most of the things I need to know about how to run a good and healthy open-source community.

Cheers & Thank You MANGOS :)

You don't want to know how many public mangos realms exist... and among the existing ones there is probably only a 1/3 actually giving credit. The remainders just claim mangos sucks, and their core is their own work. mangos could sue them all for copyright infringement :D

Shall we ?

Well, mangos is GPL, so they're only violating the license if they redistribute it (any version, theirs or the official one) without the corresponding source code. And the GPL actually suggests that you claim maintainership of any modified GPL software you distribute. Claiming authorship is another thing... dishonest, but not illegal... unless you do it in court.

Which brings up the other problem. The copyright of mangos is not held by any one person, but by everyone who contributed, unless they explicitly assigned copyright to someone (e.g., Vlad.) So ALL of those people would have to be plaintiffs or defendants in any copyright case involving the project as a whole. A lot of commercial companies have gotten away with GPL violations (portable media players that run modified Linux software are a big one) because it's hard to find someone who has standing to bring suit. That's why GNU asks that you assign copyright on all contributions to Richard Stallman.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... the headlines I read said that this was a default judgment, which I'm pretty sure means that WoWScape didn't even bother to show up in court. That's too bad, because it would have been interesting to see how the court actually ruled on what copyright violations occurred.

I think mangos itself is pretty safe. Reverse engineering is still legal, and maintaining the db as a separate project keeps Blizzard's IP out of it. On the client side, Blizzard can't tell people what servers they can connect to any more than Mozilla can tell people what sites they can browse. The flip side, of course, is that you can't sue them, either, if they find out and ban you from retail.

On the client side, Blizzard can't tell people what servers they can connect to any more than Mozilla can tell people what sites they can browse
Are you sure of that? Players are not legally forced to play on retails servers? oO
The flip side, of course, is that you can't sue them, either, if they find out and ban you from retail.

Would they ban 500,000 accounts? I don't think so ^^ (the 500,000 is pure imagination, I don't know how many accounts are playing on private)

Are you sure of that? Players are not legally forced to play on retails servers?

Well, the whole "purchased" vs. "licensed" thing is a legal gray area. If software is purchased, you can do whatever you want with it, including hacking it. You just can't redistribute it. But if it's licensed, then you have to abide by the EULA. When it comes to first-sale doctrine, at least, courts have held that software is purchased, invalidating clauses in EULAs that forbid resale. But I don't think something like connecting a client to an unintended server has ever been tested in court.

Connecting your client to any other socket then what is owned by blizzard is against their ToS yes.

That does not mean that they have any way of telling if you did or not. Just make sure to clear your client cache before changing your client back to an official socket ;p

Why do you think blizz left realmlist adress in text file so it can be really easily changed? Yes, address is different for every language version, but they also have to change binaries (or at least I think so). "Realmlist.wtf" is like "Please, change me" file...

• 2 weeks later...
Reverse engineering is still legal, [...]

In the EULA it is clearly stated that reverse ingineering is illegal on WoW Client :)

Learned that in the pdf posted by roby10.

So everything implemented in MaNGOS was deduced without reverse engineering or packet sniffing (also illegal xD).

Anyway, as evil Patman said you could argue that you didn't agree on anything by modifying the config file. I don't think that somewhere there is stated that you have to clic on Accept xD and if so it would be a paradox since you would have to accept to click on accept by clicking on it.... still following ?

Regarding reverse engineering one should remember that some countries have laws giving students the right to reverse engineer and circumvent protected systems for the sole purpose of learning. IMHO that is something everyone should fight for, and the loss of this right - like for U.S. citizens - is one of the stones marking the death of democracy *sigh*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use