Switching to Linux

Guest darkplayer

I dont know a whole lot about Linux but windows and mangos doesnt go hand in hand so im wondering wich OS i should pick.

CentOs

Debian

Redhat

FreeBSD

or come with an suggestion ;)

I have a fairly powerful computer. And if you have any tips in managing a linux server please share :)

I prefer performance over uptime.

Thank you

Debian is based of redhat right? so Ubuntu will perform well as a server computer? i want max performance but im not an advanced user but ^^ Thank you for the fast reply.

Edit: i see Ubuntu offers a server edition while Kubuntu does not? how will that affect the performance if i go with kubuntu normal Download?

Ubuntu would probably be the best linux OS for a private server.

i think gentoo will be the best for a server cause then you don't have to struggle with the ubuntu-bugs. and to know more about what your system does..

also, if you like the open source idea, you can be sure that gentoo is upstreaming it's patches back to the developers.. which may be a criteria for someone..

i see Ubuntu offers a server edition while Kubuntu does not? how will that affect the performance if i go with kubuntu normal Download?

i don't think that ubuntu-server-edition uses gnome.. so there will also be no kde ;-)

a server mostly doesn't have a graphical interface..

Debian is based of redhat right?

dabian isn't based on any other distribution.. ubuntu is based on debian-unstable (or testing or something like that)

i also would recommend ubuntu, cause you don't need to do much and have a very big community where you can find help

As good as gentoo is for performance orientated setups (using it myself for ages) the chances are also little higher for breaking stuff.

Dunno but maybe linux newbies are better off with binary packge based distributions.

If you're think your knowledge (and especially rtfm reading capabilities) are advanced enough i think gentoo ranks around #1 for gameservers.

There are a billion of these threads, search!?

Why dont you stop trolling every post someone asking about somthing, if you have nothing to offer except trolling then Silence is Gold.

in-topic : well, i have a ubuntu copy right now and iam still confused, Will the grapical interface effect my server preformance ?, or what if i could compile my bins on ubuntu, will these bins work into another linux plateform such as dabian ?

Francly, depends on your knowledge level and how mutch time would you like to spend on learning.

If you're a n00b when comes to linux, then don't start a server on linux, but if you rly want to start with something use uBuntu. It's the most user frendly distro out there.

If you need stability and performance but want to use something more complicated use Slackware, same as uBuntu is debian based.

Debian was and it still is one of the fastest Linux OS's out there, but it's very hard to config.

elseif: You want to go with a Red Hat based distro, go with CentOs or FC2.

In the end it dosen't really matter what distro do you use, the performance you get is the performance you create. No OS comes with a pre-compiled Kernel dedicater to your server, that is something you'll have to make on your own.

Hope this helps, now get a 2L Coke and start installing. :)

Ubuntu is based off of Debian, not red-hat, and I would recommend it for learning and all that jazz, gentoo is much more powerful, but does have a steep learning curve and can scare a new person away quite quickly. There are server editions (that do not by default include a desktop manager), I would stick with those as they ask you important questions about mysql, apache, etc when installing)

If you _must_ use a fancy gui screen for a server (might I recommend learning the terminal? it is harder, yes, but you will learn more and quickly, google will always help) stick with somethign real lightweight (xfce is a good choice).

As said before, it's really all on how much you know, and how much you want to learn, stick with it though, any linux can be very rewarding :)

I've been using Fedora for the better part of the last year for my Linux server. I like it because its based on Redhat, which is a server distro and (not to say other distros don't) I've had AMAZING uptime. The only thing that takes Linux down is a power outage or myself.

... if you're switching from Windows to Linux, I recommend you use Kubuntu, because this is Ubuntu with the KDE interface which looks like Windows ;)
Well, I have a Ubuntu copy right now and I am still confused, Will the graphical interface effect my server performance?

I would suggest for a server only booting as high as runlevel 3. No GUI to take up additional system resources. Really, I have VNC installed as a service that starts automatically on boot so I don't even have to touch the machine itself.

What if i could compile my bins on Ubuntu? Will these bins work on another Linux platform such as Debian?

From my understanding, the bins will work on any machine with the same CPU architecture. If you compile on an i386, they should work on any i386, but not AMD64 or PPC, for example.

Hope this helps and best of luck. ;)

I would suggest for a server only booting as high as runlevel 3. No GUI to take up additional system resources. Really, I have VNC installed as a service that starts automatically on boot so I don't even have to touch the machine itself.

I'm curious, I personally use a headless system too and simply use openssh to get to my server(s), is there an advantage to using vnc? I use openssh on all my machines and have never had troubles, but have heard many people insisting that vnc is the only way to go.

Will like to clarify some of the stuff here. I am a linux user for about 7 years (Caldera) and an ONLY linux user for about 4. Already know Mandriva, Debian, Red Hat, OpenSuSE, Knoppix, Backtrack, Gentoo and others. The one am using right now is Ubuntu, first because i like more how debian manages packages and second because Ubuntu enhances a lot every day. Am a KDE user but KDE 4.1.3 i dont really like it. Waiting for 4.2 . Anyway, first, what i will say was tested on a Pentium 3 1000mhz, with 1GB Ram, a Pentium 4 2.4Ghz with 2 GB RAM and a Pentium Core 2 Duo 8500 with 4GB Ram. All with the same adsl 1024Kbit connection.

Running Mangos on, either a console based (Server edition) or gui based (Desktop edition) will give same results for client performance. The only difference you will see, and its obvious, its that having a guid will consume about 300Mbs more. Depending on what stuff you load on the gui, it will grow or shrink 100mb more. For the rest, the network connection, the cpu usage, memory managemente, everything will be 100% ok. You wont have any problems running it in either way.

For the "What linux distro should i use", well since linux is the same as Alternatives, choices, multiple selections, then you need to choose wisely. For example, if you want to start off i always recommend my students Ubuntu, Mandriva or OpenSuSE. Although you get more help for Ubuntu because of its popularity and about all 99% problems you encounter will have a solution. I dont recommend staying on one distro since each one has something different to offer, at least the main stream ones like Red Hat, Slackware and Debian.

So my advice to you would be, type in google the name of the distro, whichever you found the most, that is the one which probably has more help.

Second look for problems that the distro has with your hardware, for example, if you choose ubuntu and you have a nvidia 7200 or something like that type, ubuntu nvidia 7200 bugs or errors. So you know what you are getting youserlf into. You probably wont have any problem whatsoever if you use a pc older than october 2008. and most network devices are "ready for the hud". Hope this helps. You can find me sometimes in the irc channels of ubuntu since that is the main distro in my country.

Francly, depends on your knowledge level and how mutch time would you like to spend on learning.

If you're a n00b when comes to linux, then don't start a server on linux, but if you rly want to start with something use uBuntu. It's the most user frendly distro out there.

If you need stability and performance but want to use something more complicated use Slackware, same as uBuntu is debian based.

Debian was and it still is one of the fastest Linux OS's out there, but it's very hard to config.

elseif: You want to go with a Red Hat based distro, go with CentOs or FC2.

In the end it dosen't really matter what distro do you use, the performance you get is the performance you create. No OS comes with a pre-compiled Kernel dedicater to your server, that is something you'll have to make on your own.

Hope this helps, now get a 2L Coke and start installing. :)

You obviously haven't been near the Linux community since ~1993 ..:)

Slackware was the first GNU/Linux distribution can I remember. Led by Patrick Volkerding and his wife for all those years, "Debian" was something in the far future.

Well I can't recommend Slackware for any of you, unless you want to build a super-stable router, database server or similar thing. It is also very useful when you want to learn something about the system (and kernel) internals. It's the same as with CentOS - those are really stable distros, but with VERY OLD software, which is the cost of being stable.

I recommend you using something like Debian testing (Ubuntu/Mandriva/Fedora/wtf for newbies), perhaps Archlinux (sometimes _really_ "unstable") or Gentoo. GCC 4 (which isn't probably in Slack and CentOS) really made things faster by another optimizations, newer glibc, mysql, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

gmarco and others: help me plz, i'm compile a 308 build mangos (wotlk) from git repository on FreeBSD 7.1 system.

ScriptDev2 updated from SVN, version 813. Database get from FDB repository for wotlk (FDB version 6.2).

I'm patched SD2 for support wotlk, then patched mangos sources for support SD2 and than compile it.

Now i'm have a mangos freebsd binary files. I'm created a mysql databases for realmd, character, mangosd, sd2 and

update it by the instructions.

When i'm started "mangos-worldd" in log file, i'm see this errors:

=== cut ===

2008-12-23 23:05:21 Starting Game Event system...

2008-12-23 23:05:21 GameEvent 10 "Gurubashi Arena Call to Fight (Night)" started.

2008-12-23 23:05:21 GameEvent 320 "Zulian Stalker3" started.

2008-12-23 23:05:21 GameEvent 3152 "Dire Maul Arena The Razza" started.

2008-12-23 23:05:21 GameEvent 5000 "Feast of Winter Veil" started.

2008-12-23 23:05:21 WORLD: World initialized

2008-12-23 23:05:21

2008-12-23 23:05:21 Halting process...

=== cut ===

Full log: http://depositfiles.com/files/86zqfv4aj

SOS!

I vote for Ubuntu, because it is noob friendly, stable, secure and easy to maintain (the only thing you have to do once you've set up your server is to install software updates once or twice per week). Even the server edition is pretty easy to use once you've learned the basic commands. Good luck with learning Linux!

I would suggest Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS edition, the 8.10 has had a few problems being reported currently.

Ubuntu server does not come with a graphical user interface, and ideally, don't install one it slows you down.

Suggestion is using Webmin, and SSH via something like Putty, you are able to do everything you need to do nicely. Webmin also comes with a java file manager, so you can get a graphical file management tool that you can use from any computer via webbrowser (with ports open you can even use via the internet, it comes with encription)

(Ps whats the rules on posting links to things like ubuntu/putty/webmin?)

Feel free to drop me a message if you want help with a ubuntu server.

Webmin is nice, but I've found that it borks up config files a lot of times. Maybe I do something wrong every time I try it, so I stick with just the console - I've also learned far moreover the years forcing myself to learn the commands and syntaxes and structure of stuff, when something breaks, I mostly know why and am able to fix it myself now because of it.

howtoforge has a very nice selection of step by steps for setting up various distros (desktops and servers) for those just discovering the mighty penguin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use