What is the Ultimate Answer to the Question of Life?

Guest LilleCarl_

I sympathize with your plight, LilleCarl. My dad used to use pop culture references that were popular in his day, but had aged into obscurity for my generation.

I hate to say it, TheLuda, but most people under the age of thirty will likely know only those answers dealing with modern media. Pokemon, Naruto, Mass Effect, and the literary works of Marvel and DC are as far as it goes with today's youth. Kids just don't read when there's Facebook, YouTube, and video games dominating their time.

Yes, but bear in mind that book is over 30 years old. It's still read but I think the Web 2.0 generation aren't as well-read as even the previous one. It's just a sad fact of being so attached to electronic distractions.

When spare time is filled with simultaneously leveling up, Likes on Facebook, and texting with all your friends, it's no surprise that young people lack not just the time, but the concentration to actually read a book.

Much as it shocks us, your 40s is the age when you realize the world you knew is ancient history.

It is my belief that any geek worth his salt should read Adams - lol. My only suggestion is that the question might more properly be phrased as "What is the ultimate answer to life, the universe, and everything?"

Excellent choice, in my opinion. Should go along way toward keeping the spambots at bay. Well done.

PS: I do, in fact. carry a towel in the jeep.

Yes, but bear in mind that book is over 30 years old. It's still read but I think the Web 2.0 generation aren't as well-read as even the previous one. It's just a sad fact of being so attached to electronic distractions.

Haha, maybe, but I do not think so. People a generation ago used to watch MTV all day, the MTV that was actually playing music and they still read books.

Regards

Skirnir

Im 17, i watch tv approximately once a week. Read a book when my teacher forces me to, spend several hours by the computer each day. :D

:D Hey LilleCarl, When I was 17, I watched tv almost religiously, I could tell you exactly what was on and when... on both channels, I read the odd novel here and there because I found it really easy to get lost in them and always enjoyed a good story, as much as I was writing assembly on my 6809 motorola processored Hitachi Peach with 64k ram, the internet was barely invented as a consumer available service and as a non-uni Australian, we were yet to plug into it let alone use it to share our collective knowledge... 1989, ahhh....

p.s. I'm still going to lean on you when I need a hand too btw. :P

Im 17, i watch tv approximately once a week. Read a book when my teacher forces me to, spend several hours by the computer each day. :D

:D Hey LilleCarl, When I was 17, I watched tv almost religiously, I could tell you exactly what was on and when... on both channels, I read the odd novel here and there because I found it really easy to get lost in them and always enjoyed a good story, as much as I was writing assembly on my 6809 motorola processored Hitachi Peach with 64k ram, the internet was barely invented as a consumer available service and as a non-uni Australian, we were yet to plug into it let alone use it to share our collective knowledge... 1989, ahhh....

Hahaha! What did you write assembly as 17 years old?!?!?! PS: You could probably have been my father, oldie! ;)

Hahaha! What did you write assembly as 17 years old?!?!?! PS: You could probably have been my father, oldie! ;)

:D Quite likely... though my rampant 20's oats weren't being sewn anywhere near Sweden so you should be safe! My assembly programming consisted of nothing more than tickling pixels and some really nasty sprite collision calculations. Dang, basic was slllloooooowwwwww back them thar days.

Ah, memories! I thought I was King Of The World when I ran my first Assembly program on my C-64. :D

Maybe it was the nimbleness of thought in my youth, but it seems learning 8-bit 6502 Assembler was easier then than understanding C++ is for me today.

.... I'm with Stupid! ^

:D Just looking through the code, haven't done anything yet and I'm already in over my head!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Ah, memories! I thought I was King Of The World when I ran my first Assembly program on my C-64. :D

Maybe it was the nimbleness of thought in my youth, but it seems learning 8-bit 6502 Assembler was easier then than understanding C++ is for me today.

Totally agree with you, I have had a total mental block on anything C++ for over 20 years !!

- Some things still completely baffle me

Yet I can program in C# and Java without problems

Archived