Update blues

Unkle Nuke

As many of you know, my beautiful, sexy, always-ready, fast broadband went away and my phone is my only current lifeline for keeping connected.

This presents me with a problem. I am in the middle of installing Cataclysm, but I realized I don't have all the necessary updates for offline patching from 4.0.0 to 4.3.4. I need the FULL updates. Streaming additional content through the Launcher is not an option.

Unfortunately, all the gamer sites seem to hate my Android browser with all their popups, popunders, redirects, and various nasty tools they use to generate ad revenues. I am at a complete loss on what to do.

Does anyone know where I can get the updates through simple, direct download links? An FTP server or no-BS file host would be ideal, I suppose, but any source will do... so long as there are no complicated hoops to jump through.

Tried and failed. Plus, they don't seem to have the patches for updating from 4.0.1a through 4.0.6a, which are among those I need. The rest of the patches I'm missing are from 4.1.0.14007 through 4.3.4.15595.

Looks like I may have to abandon the idea of trying to develop for MaNGOS-Three, if I can't find a way to get those updates. :(

Someone who already has the patches or who has fast DSL without traffic limit could upload them to dropbox and give you the links. I would do it myself but I don't have the patches, which means, that I would have to download them and then upload them, which results in a doubled traffic consume, where I only have 26k MB/month traffic to use... >_<

Btw, how do you install Cata without downloading it? When I want to install it (I have the DVD with 7.7 GB hidden files) it starts to download it. o_O

I have a 100mbps with no trafic limit connection so i can upload them to a file sharing site or set a private ftp for you, poke if interested. Also specify which version of the game, US or GB.

Thats nice of you. But I really recommend to use dropbox for it, as it doesnt limit the download speed. I mean, we are talking about some GB.

This may turn out to be more difficult than I thought. Out of curiosity, I read the fine print on my "unlimited" data plan, to make sure downloading the patches wouldn't pose any problems when my phone bill comes due.

It turns out that my uploads/downloads are indeed unlimited, but my data rate is severely throttled after 2.5 GB. Once throttling kicks in, my connection slows so much that it would actually be faster if I dusted off my old modem and used dial-up! Yet one more reason to hate American mobile providers. :mad: x10

Unless...

There is a small chance my nephew, who is away at college, may still have his Cataclysm installation. I will have to wait until summer classes end, but he could burn his updates to a disk for me.

Sorry, I meant to answer that, but had other distractions while I was typing.

According to WoWwiki, fully updating from 4.0.0, the initial Cataclysm client install, to 4.0.1 is impossible without streaming some content from the patch server. I'm not sure if any later updates have this requirement, too.

However, that information was posted there when Cataclysm was still new. It may now be outdated because I have seen a 4.0.0-4.0.1 patch on many game sites. I'm not sure if it is the full patch, with a file size of ~568 MB. The reason why I doubt it is complete is there's an additional MPQ in my Cataclysm /Data/Cache/ folder, "patch-base-13164.mpq", that is ~860 MB in size.

There are several such instances where I have a patch installed, but there is a much larger MPQ also in that Cache folder. My conclusion is that you either must update with the Launcher or find the necessary MPQ files by other means and do a manual update.

Unclenuke, what phone do you have? Many phones such as iphone and some androids let you (with a usb cable) use it as a networking device with your computer. This would make you able to download stuff directly to your computer.

EDIT: UncleNuke, if you link all paches you need i can download them to my webserver so you can access them via a plain simple http

Regards!

Tethering my phone to my PC, so I may use it for Internet access, requires that I pay for it as a separate service. What's really frustrating and stupid is my mobile phone provider informed me they only support tethering on just two phone models out of the several they offer. Of course, those two models also happen to be their most expensive.

Where it gets really dumb is I can activate tethering with no trouble using an app, but my mobile provider will not allow my unsupported phone to use the tether. I can only assume this is because the firmware has no way for them to track what I do with that tether. No spy, no tether!

Before anyone suggests it, I can't use apps that are meant to use tethering while hiding it from my mobile service. They have usage and traffic monitors that prevent using those apps, plus I could lose my service for trying to bypass their restrictions.

That said, it looks like I have three choices for getting a full install of Cataclysm final:

1. Wait to find out if my nephew can provide the files.

2. Have some kind soul living in the USA burn the files to a DVD and mail the disc to me.

3. Have some kind soul set up some method where I can download a little each month until I have the updates. Probably have to limit that to 1 GB per month, so I can still use the remaining 1.5 GB for keeping up with the MaNGOS repos and forums.

Svarr, your problem with Cataclysm may be due to using what is called a "slim" version. This is due to either using a downloaded client, which is always a slim installer, or you purchased the cheaper, "light" version of the retail DVD. The light DVD, identified by its smaller box and lack of a printed manual, is also a slim installer. Such slim installs save space by lacking the music, cinematics, and other non-essential data, but it requires a network connection to stream that missing data with the Launcher.

You could try temporarily disabling your network connection, to see if the installer will default to the files on the DVD. If that fails, try using the manual patch method. You can find instructions and help with some updating issues at "http://patchup.info/".

Svarr, your problem with Cataclysm may be due to using what is called a "slim" version. This is due to either using a downloaded client, which is always a slim installer, or you purchased the cheaper, "light" version of the retail DVD. The light DVD, identified by its smaller box and lack of a printed manual, is also a slim installer. Such slim installs save space by lacking the music, cinematics, and other non-essential data, but it requires a network connection to stream that missing data with the Launcher.

You could try temporarily disabling your network connection, to see if the installer will default to the files on the DVD. If that fails, try using the manual patch method. You can find instructions and help with some updating issues at "http://patchup.info/".

Thanks, UnkleNuke. :D

I dont know if its the light or normal version. I havent bought it. All I have is a 7.72 GB .mdx-file^^

When I feel the need to try out mangos 4.3.4 I will try it with disabling my network connection. If this fails, I most likely will have to wait until I have an other DSL connection without traffic limitation.

Svarr, I did some more digging and can confirm there is no such thing as a complete Cataclysm install from DVD. Even after installing the roughly 8 GB from the DVD, there is still an additional 7-11 GB of data that must be streamed before you have a full 4.0.0 installation.

I don't know why Blizz did that. It's not like including a second install DVD would have cost much more. My guess is it had to do with development delays. It's not the first time a game company has shipped an unfinished game and relied on massive patch downloads to fix the problem.

Then again, it may be some sort of measure taken against those who obtain the client for reasons other than retail play. Since later large patches exhibit the same need to stream additional content, perhaps it is more a method to track who is getting client content and comparing it to the list of paying customers.

Also, Blizz is reducing their bandwidth and data distribution costs by having clients use torrents, or peer-to-peer sharing of patch content.

All this boils down to it being impossible to fully install or update Cataclysm without some sort of network connection, if you use the official installers.

Otherwise, you will have to get all the needed MPQ files from a friend that has an up-to-date install. Simpler still, a full backup of their WoW install copied over your WoW would ensure everything is current and working, from content to tools and launcher.

Then again, it may be some sort of measure taken against those who obtain the client for reasons other than retail play. Since later large patches exhibit the same need to stream additional content, perhaps it is more a method to track who is getting client content and comparing it to the list of paying customers.

That seems unlikely to me, because you don't have to log in to start patching. So no reliable way to connect a patch download with a paying customer :)

Svarr, I did some more digging...
Thanks, I appreciate that :D
Otherwise, you will have to get all the needed MPQ files from a friend that has an up-to-date install. Simpler still, a full backup of their WoW install copied over your WoW would ensure everything is current and working, from content to tools and launcher.
I had an up-to-date-installation from a friend. But I deleted it because I couldnt do anything with it, I needed 3.3.5. Damnit!

So in conclusion I'm not sure if I will ever play Cata... In fact I dont even care right now. But I know that I won't ever be seen on an official server. ;)

My big reason for trying to update my Cata install is the desire to try and help with development. So much has already been done for previous versions that there's little left a "noob" like me can do.

With 4.3.4, even small SQL stuff and minor core patches are within easy reach compared to the more mature cores.

Burning Crusade will always be my favorite. Outland is not just HUGE, compared to later expansions, but the quest chains are pure epic, many wondrous lands, and... lets face it... the origins of Goblins and Worgen player races are just lame when compared to Dranei and Blood Elves.

Wrath had great promise, but they stopped short of truly great. Should have introduced more Heroic classes and offered better quest chains, but the battlegrounds were awesome.

Cataclysm did a lot to balance the classes and specs better, but they nerfed so many things for the sake of fast leveling to quickly get on to the Cata game content. Getting from level 1 to 70 was a joke, with everything from Classic to Wrath boiling down to just grinding levels and gear a fast as you could. Almost everyone under level 75 spent all their time queued for dungeons because that got you gear and levels the quickest. The end result is nobody really played the game until you hit 80. And need I say anything more about Tauren paladins that hasn't already been said? I knew even Horde players so offended by the idea that they would kill Tauren pallys on sight! :lol:

I'm live in Spain, and my wow client is in Spanish too.

I think this type of installation don't be userful for you, or peharps yes?

Regards.

Thanks for your offer but no, I think I'll stick to WotLK. Probably I will install Cataclysm only for MoP when the time comes.

I was never a WOW player (even now, when I have a private server), but I'm nonetheless very curios about the new Addon.

• 2 months later...

I've tried every flavor of Android browsers. So far, not one is fully compatible with a web that was built for PC browsers.

Dolphin was especially annoying, being filled with ads and having a large footprint, with the core and necessary plugins. Like most all others, it tended to crash a lot.

Opera has been relatively stable and I like how it has a PC-like interface, where you can control a pointer with the thumbstick. It's certainly easier for selecting and clicking elements on this tiny screen.

Touch-screens certainly were not designed for men that have bear-paw hands! :rolleyes:

if u live in the city or close to some with wireless u try get that way .U get a usb wirless adapter for like $15. then all need is a find some one with wireless that not protect to leech off of or ask a neigb if use theres.it be alot better then dialup.also

u boost signal by making a refractor dish for the usb adapter using

1.colasable strainer

2 cheap camera tripod

3.usb ext

4.usb wirless adapter

just cust hole in strainer mount cord throuh hole using glue or something to hold in placelet stick out just enought place usb adpter in

and mount tripod to strain it will greatly boost signal.

here is an example of what im talking about ithe 11 pic down http://www.mlcug.org/Cantenna/cantenna2.html

Archived