Issues logging into 12114 server

antiroot

Question

I setup a new server to try out mangos now that mangos-three has become the master repo, but when attempting to login from a client I can login/authenticate and i'm presented a screen to choose a realm, when i select my server (which shows as online) the dialog "Logging in to Game Server" appears for a fraction of a second and nothing happens.

mangosd, realmd, mysqld all running without fatal errors in their respective log files

realmlist on server and client are set to the server's IP, NOT 127.0.0.1

realmd logs the following and nothing else happens

SQL: SELECT id,sha_pass_hash FROM account WHERE username = 'ANTIROOT'
SQL: SELECT numchars FROM realmcharacters WHERE realmid = '1' AND acctid='5'

The configs for my 12114 server are near identical to the confs i used for wotlk

Is 12114 just not ready for client connections yet and i'm rushing it, or did i overlook something?

edit: the new server is using the same ports as the wotlk server, but they are on different IPs. All client files have been extracted as well. But i'd assume that if it were a database or missing file issue there would be some sort of fatal error indication in the log files

23 answers to this question

It's unfortunate that you're having issues as well. I've still not figured out what exactly isn't working, to me it appears that client just isn't accepting the response from the server. I was going to reinstall from scratch and see what happens, but now that 5.0.4 has been released i'm struggling to find all of the 4.x.x patch files from legitimate sources (previously i just let the launcher patch it all up).

Some additional info: I have no firewall between the server and 2 local machines, tcp ports are forwarded and the 3rd machine can telnet successfully to both ports. running 15595 EnUS client. server is FreeBSD 9.0 64bit, external ACE 5.8.3

Edit: also trying to connect to 12135 from a 3.5.5a client will connect and initiate some traffic on 8085, of course it can't do anything further than that because it's not compatible, but it was able to get further than the 4.3.4 client did

I am no developer, so pls excuse me if i should write bs.

In the morning i tried again to start the 4.3.4 client. I have (better said: i had) two folders, one genuine 4.3.4 installation and one folder slightly stripped down (unused .exe and patched wow.exe).

The genuine one started the updateprocess to 5.0.4 as you mentioned before. Bad.

The 2nd folder, with the patched wow.exe, weren't able to start anymore: everytime i get an error message like:

This application has encountered a critical error:

Program:  <pathtowow.exe>\\Wow.exe
ProcessID:9508
File:  .\\Client.cpp
Line:  3623

file: signaturefile

Press OK to terminate the application.

My thoughts are, that the "MaNGOSPatcher" doesn't change enough in the wow.exe application. It looks like, that the application get's an information from blizzard, that it is no longer usable.

Perhaps this is the cause, that a login to MaNGOS master (Cataclysm) isn't possible with this client.

Just my thoughts, don't shoot me! :D

as far as the client getting extra information, I only see it fetching some files from bliz servers on HTTP. Before you even attempt to login it does do a POST request thru HTTP to the server configured in the realmlist file, I'll have to investigate if 3.3.5a did that as well, and also what the proper response should be from a official server, but since the POST values don't have any identifying values, session IDs, or things of that nature i doubt it has anything to do with our issue

I know we can't post actual client files or content, but if somebody is feeling helpful and generous, I'd be more than grateful if someone that has successfully logged in with 4.3.4 could post just a list of client files and their md5 hashes so I can compare with my client to make sure i have all the required/correct files, hopefully then i can rule out or determine if it's the client just acting funny.

the files, obviously, should be non modified before generating the list/hashes, I know generating the hashes is a time consuming task but i would greatly appreciate it

update! i was able to get to the character screen

previously i was using a domain name in my realmlist table, (which worked fine with wotlk btw) but 4.3.4 client apparently doesn't like it, after changing it to my actual IP instead of the domain everything seems fine now (haven't entered the world yet, but i can at least get to the character screen now)

@ShiningDragon, I never did see your realmist table conf, but if your using a domain name like i was try using the actual IP instead and post back if it's working for you, good luck

update! i was able to get to the character screen

previously i was using a domain name in my realmlist table, (which worked fine with wotlk btw) but 4.3.4 client apparently doesn't like it, after changing it to my actual IP instead of the domain everything seems fine now (haven't entered the world yet, but i can at least get to the character screen now)

@ShiningDragon, I never did see your realmist table conf, but if your using a domain name like i was try using the actual IP instead and post back if it's working for you, good luck

TBC>WOTLK>Vanilla>Cata>MoP

That must be why!

TBC>WOTLK>Vanilla>Cata>MoP

That must be why!

I'm confused what you mean by this, could you elaborate a bit please

for the record, i've successfully created a character and logged into the world. I just hadn't tried getting that far earlier, but it all seems fine now

One of my machines is missing some 4.x.x specific files, but i've got 2 machines with all the files so getting the 3rd to work should be easy enough

I ordered them by awesomeness level! wink Cata = Bad big_smile

LOL, i understand now. I never did try tbc, but yes i do prefer wotlk over cata by far. My intent was to see what works and what doesn't and try and find fixes for random things

btw thanks to all for your suggestions, even though i eventually stumbled across the answer myself. Just having the support from the community is why i've loved this project from the very beginning

I ordered them by awesomeness level! wink Cata = Bad big_smile

LOL, i understand now. I never did try tbc, but yes i do prefer wotlk over cata by far. My intent was to see what works and what doesn't and try and find fixes for random things

btw thanks to all for your suggestions, even though i eventually stumbled across the answer myself. Just having the support from the community is why i've loved this project from the very beginning

Haha, a little kindness and some knowledge makes you go far! ;) How do blizzards retail realmlist look like in cata? :o

Off topic, but i'm just wanting some opinions. If the IP for the server is dynamic would it make sense to use a script to update the table or have realmd support a domain name and perform an nslookup for itself, which would then be sent to the client instead of the domain name.

The only issues i see with realmd handling it are that it would perform the nslookup on every client connect, the code is just one more thing that could break that would have to be maintained, and it would also depend on a script already running to update the dns record

using a script to do it all outside of realmd, would be simpler, but then people would have to make multiple scripts to support various operating systems. Often their scripts would be customized to their network, for example my script that updates my dns records doesn't perform an nslookup at all, it just logs into the router and fetches the wan ip, which it compares to the last logged ip, if they are different it then updates the dns record, so it could also at the same time update the realmlist table. but the point is that it's very specific to my network/OS so i would not be able to easily share it with others.

originally the reason i used the domain name was so local machines (using a local name server) would map to 10.0.5.1 and external machines would map to my public WAN IP. Which now seems impossible unless mangosd were able to update/support 2 realmlist entries (one for local address, and one for the WAN address) luckily my router handles NAT reflection ok and local machines *can* connect to the external address, i just don't like hitting my under powered router for traffic that could stay on the LAN

It sounds like you are using IP addresses in your realm table?

If so, you can already put the hostname in the table instead, and the problem would be fixed. External machines will connect to realmd, get a hostname, resolve it and see your WAN IP, and connect. Your local machine will connect to realmd, get a hostname, resolve it, see a 10.x.x.x address, and connect over the LAN. Success! :D

The only issue that remains then is making sure that resolving the hostname externally is seeing the updated IP addresses fast enough. If the DNS has a short TTL (or you have control over it), even that's not an issue :)

[edit]

Just to clarify: realmd is just sending whatever you put in the realmlist table to the client, so as long as the client can handle it you're fine. And as it happens, the client tries to do a DNS lookup already if it doesn't get an IP address.

[edit 2]

I just read another post where you say the client refuses anything but an IP address (and you've probably guessed it: I forgot the context was 4.x of course...). That really surprises me, and that would indeed suck...

If IP addresses are your only option, all you can do is update the realmlist table I'm afraid, one way or another... adding support in realmd to do what you describe might be a bit overkill I'd say, but that's just my opinion. A simple script that runs a query seems easier to do. Pretty specific to one's setup, true, but hey...

I've already used the mangos-tools binaries on my client, this is also a client modification which is not supported by the community on the forums IIRC so i'm not asking for assistance with that step. But i'm confused why the logs show no error and even the traffic between the client/server looks ok to me when i view a raw dump

edit: also if the RSA part were the issues shouldn't i not be able to login at all? because i can login with my account, i just cannot select the realm and enter character create

for the record the traffic shows that it gets as far as the client sending the Realm List command, the server then replies with the relevant information (server address, status, server type, number of characters, etc). Other than an ACK in reply to the server from the client machine, there is no additional traffic afterwards

I think you won't see anything in the realmd logs. That one has done its job after all: you could log in, and you got a list of realms.

At first I would say your problem is in the realmlist table of your realm DB (wrong IP, or IP unreachable), but apparently you've covered that. You might still make sure that the IP and port in that table are correct. For instance, can you connect with telnet to that IP/port from the client machine?

If that's ok... then I'd say something is blocking traffic from the client machine to the server (world daemon, mangosd). Anything wrong for the world daemon would show in its logs, but again, that would mean you should see at least the first packet of a TCP/IP handshake from client to world daemon...which apparently you don't.

ah lol yeah wotlk works perfectly as expected, it's the cata stuff not working. i didn't have high hopes for it anyways since half the opcodes are missing and there isn't even a start of a database for it yet I was just hoping to be able compile and login with it since it's now the master

ok well then i should be able to at least login and enter the world, even if most of the database/scripting isn't fully developed correct?

I enabled debugging on the client and i receive

ClientConnection Initiating: COP_CONNECT code=CSTATUS_CONNECTING 
ClientConnection Completed: COP_CONNECT code=RESPONSE_FAILED_TO_CONNECT result=FALSE

however i've not yet determined why it is failing

Archived