Running a public server ?

antz

Despite it being against our principles here, some people run public servers accessible via the internet.

It has come to my attention that Blizz has launched another round of hunting them and getting them shut down.

I have had at least two people contact me recently to relay the story of how they were contacted and told to shut it down or face the consequences.

- One of these was contacted via a number only known by his ISP.

Just be careful people, as I said at the top - it's not something we support or recommend doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps we should think about a way to prevent people from creating private servers. For example hardcode only non internet connectivity or something like that.

I, too, am totally against making a private server and would accept limitations that have the purpose to prevent this.

Sorry Svarr but that's not a solution due to the fact that there are a lot of people out there that do have these privet servers like me that has them up only for family and friends that aren't in the same house. Basically this solution would force them to use other means to communicate and have fun together. For me I have a Son in California and I live all the way across the US in Ohio plus I have friends in other states and we get together on my WoW server and have fun. This wouldn't be possible without the Internet.

well we could make it lan only, and that would work in shutting down alot of Public servers, since you would need hatmachi to make it work. but at the same time you cant stop it. someone would just fork and write its functionality back in

the best way is to say we wont support nor help people in setting up online servers

Archived