MaNGOS One Problem

Luth

Hello everyone! I have a problem with MaNGOS One. I setted it up on my friend's VPS and I don't get any error but no one can connect. Also the realmd.exe should't print something about binding to IP or that's only on TrinityCore ? Don't tell me about port forwarding because the VPS is not connected to a wireless.

Alright. I've had similar. I run behind a firewalled router. Hate the thing. And it's a wired connection. I still had to use port forwarding on the router itself.

You also have to add your mangosd server to the realmlist table in your realm database in mysql.

The following ports need to be forwarded for an external connection: 8085 and 3724

As for internal, if you are having these problems, it's probably your realmlist table.

Don't tell me about port forwarding because the VPS is not connected to a wireless.
As I said here , the VPS doesn't have a wirless connection (I think it's a ethernet connection) so not port forwarding required. Also I wasn't able to test localy because the VPS doesn't have WoW.

port forwarding is not just a wireless issue, port forwarding is for routers with a firewall built in, this allows ports to be opened and listening. which in mangos case are the realm ports and server ports needed to for access to the realm and server. Also the firewall on 2008 needs to be configured with the ports and allowed to accept and transmit data.

Heya,

Been running servers from VPS' for several years now, has your buddy taken the windows firewall down in the server administration? If not, no one can connect. If you have the firewall off, the realmlist set correctly with your DNS you should be good to go, if not just reply here or send me a PM and I will see what I can do to help =)

Thanks,

Cody

had this issue myself with core two, i tried everything from port forwarding every port range i could to disabling the router's built in firewall

if you're running this on a vps with windows (especially windows 7) your best bet is to disable the windows firewall completely to avoid problems in the long run. you shouldn't have to bind the ip address to anything

LOL its amazing the advice sometimes given on the internet. Just because you don't know how to setup inbound and outbound rules for the firewall doesn't mean you should tell others to just disable it.

The metaphor still applies, if you want to make a path through a wall you don't tear the wall down, you add a doorway in it.

Create an inbound rule that applies to incoming traffic on a specific port(s), likewise you need to create an outbound rule for info to get back to the client. Again, you also need to set up the router with the port forwarding (if it is firewalled as well, which most newer ones are) removing firewalls on the internet these days is just asking for trouble, its like tearing down the front wall of your home cause you wanted a friend to have access, and now just lets anyone through.

While you have a point, while he is bringing down his firewall for the VPS the company has firewalls in place to protect themselves. You aren't completely vulnerable, you are taking down Windows Firewall. Of course, you are open to your opinion. I am just trying to help him to at least let players be able to connect.

Sure the VPS provider has firewalls in place which protects them, but you are saying to take his firewall down, which wont provide any protection to his private server. One still needs to configure the firewall even on a VPS, VPS ≠ secure server. Granted he doesn't have to fiddle around with a firewalled router and port forwarding, but he does need to understand how to put a doorway into a firewall.

As a help, here is how you would make the rule:

Go to control panel: you are looking for "allow a program through windows firewall"

Change settings, then allow another program, find the program file (the realm or mangos server program), in the configuration box, add in the port it will be using (listening too) (this will be whats in your config file) Choose Protocol tcp or udb (most likely you will be using tcp), choose network location and then save or click OK, this will add the rule to allow communication through the firewall, you also have to add in another for the realm or server depending on what you did first. You need 2 rules, one for realm authentication and another for Game play.

I think a little feedback from Luth would be helpful. Did you try port forwarding?

And btw I can't imagine anyone who only relies on the windows firewall. I have it deactivated myself and I don't think this is a security problem.

Svarr, port forwarding isn't a problem, unless the hosting site has a router in place, and then he would not be able to modify it anyways, the hosting company would have to do that, its been my experience, that hosted servers are left open on all ports and its up to the user to set up security on his particular server, hence the reason I say use the firewall (even if its a 3rd party version).

While I agree the firewall behind a firewalled router is redundant and not necessary, imho it is very necessary for hosted servers, either that or you have nothing on the server that others can use to whatever advantage they desire.

An open server is one of the prime components for a user that wishes to perform DDOS attacks and other nefarious deeds.

What hosting site? ???

With port forwarding I was referring to your earlier post:

port forwarding is not just a wireless issue, port forwarding is for routers with a firewall built in, this allows ports to be opened and listening. which in mangos case are the realm ports and server ports needed to for access to the realm and server. Also the firewall on 2008 needs to be configured with the ports and allowed to accept and transmit data.

remember in my initial replies i was asking for a screen grab of some sort, this is why....

MaNGOS Zero/0.18 (* * Revision 2416 - *) for Win32 (little-endian) [realm-daemon]
<Ctrl-C> to stop.

Using configuration file realmd.conf.
OpenSSL 1.0.0d 8 Feb 2011 (Library: OpenSSL 1.0.0d 8 Feb 2011)
Using ACE: 5.8.3
Max allowed open files is 4096
Login Database total connections: 2
Connected to MySQL database [email protected]:3306/realm12
MySQL client library: 5.1.49
MySQL server ver: 5.0.45-community-nt
AUTOCOMMIT SUCCESSFULLY SET TO 1
Updating Realm List...
Added realm id 1, name 'Classic'
realmd process priority class set to HIGH

Accepting connection from '192.168.1.33'
[AuthChallenge] account myMega is using 'enGB' locale (0)
User 'myMega' successfully authenticated
Updating Realm List...

On my system, whenever someone attempts to connect to the realm server displays the message above.

Do you get this message ?

I was referring to the original posting, saying he set mangos one up on a friends vps, guess it all depends on what type and who is hosting this vps, he also said port forwarding is not an issue cause its not on wireless, I was just explaining port forwarding isn't a wireless issue, its a router issue.

And finally there is also the blocking of ports by the internet provider itself (some are known to block ports cause some nut job sent them a dcma to cease and desist, cause of standard WOW ports used in private servers ie 8085) (solution for this last is to use a non standard port for realm and server)

What hosting site? ???

With port forwarding I was referring to your earlier post:

Archived