[Three] extracting vmaps for 4.3.4

tweex15

Question

It seems another user had this same issue but I didn't see an actual solution to create the vmaps:

http://community.getmangos.eu/index.php?topic=18557.msg148763#msg148763

I'm having the same issue as the vmapExtractor.exe will populate the buildings folder with 10k or so files, but won't touch the vmaps. (see attached screenshot.)

This time around I downloaded the 4.3.4 client from the torrents found in the FAQ section here. All commands run on Win8 cmd as administrator.

Is there a solution?

Thank you!

[attachment deleted by admin]

I'm using the extractor that came in the contrib directory after I pulled data down using Git. Was I supposed to compile one instead? I'm using this guide for most part: https://github.com/mangoswiki/Wiki/wiki/windowsinstallvm

Cheers

No, you were not supposed to. But it could be that the source of the extractor that came with the repo was changed after it has been built. In other words: the code has been changed but the extractor hasn't been recompiled afterwards. This is just an assumption since I'm not familiar with the workflow. I think it's worth a try.

Oh, and compile in release mode, not debug. (Just in case ::) )

From what I can tell, this is normal. I got the same thing and so far my world seems very playable.

That could be because Vmaps aren't necessary for the server to run. I guess your vmaps folder isn't empty?

Same for tweex15: Is your vmaps folder empty after the extraction process?

That could be because Vmaps aren't necessary for the server to run. I guess your vmaps folder isn't empty?

I will check when I get home. I thought my vmap folder wasn't empty though.

No, you were not supposed to. But it could be that the source of the extractor that came with the repo was changed after it has been built. In other words: the code has been changed but the extractor hasn't been recompiled afterwards. This is just an assumption since I'm not familiar with the workflow. I think it's worth a try.

Oh, and compile in release mode, not debug. (Just in case ::) )

Yes after the process is done my vmaps folder is completely empty. What was the purpose of the vmaps if they are not required?

Well for now I'm doing what the original thread said and turned off vmaps. Now I've gotten as far as configuring the .conf files and noticed that my realmd database is completely empty. Looked over that Wiki guide and I don't see one part where it mentioned importing anything into that database. I must be some kind of dense... or that wiki is a bit outdated. Most likely the former.

Any idea what I could have missed?

import the realmd.sql from server\sql\realmd.sql

/facepalm thank you for that.

It's all starting to come back to me bit by bit here. The next issue I swear I had at one point years ago:

In the game client I can connect to the mangos server, and see the name of the realm on the realm selection screen, but every time I hit "Okay" the popup "Logging in to game server" pops up for a couple seconds then just returns me to realm selection screen.

I figure the connection to mangos server isn't issue as I can see the name of it on the selection screen. Anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks for all the help thus far

interesting, I ran my extractor on windows 7 and my vmaps is full, ran without problems, but I did have serious issues when I ran it with the enGB version thats floating in the torrents. I just pulled a fresh 4.3.4 enUS version using my original WOW dvd, then set the update using the how-to found in the stickies so now I have now have a enUS version that works fine, server installed and ran without issues (well one issue, but that was an issue of missing sql files from the git pull but was remedied quickly)

as for the no connect, make sure your conf (both mangos and realm config files) have the bindIP set to correct IP address also, and the realmd is configured, I at first thought it was a firewall issue also, spent several hours going through and trying various things only to find out it was a bindIP issue all the time, once those were set properly everything popped up and ran fine.

Archived