[Zero] Server lag/performance optimization

hanns

Question

Hello folks,

I was playing around on my 0.18.1 server today and noticed that there is some server side lag going on. So I wanted to see what sort of performance optimizations I might perform.

My setup:

Mangos (release, not debug build in VS 2012) + MySql are installed together on a Virtualbox VM running a clean install of Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

VM is located on my machine (quad core i5, 8GB RAM) and is assigned 2 CPU cores and 4GB RAM

VM physically resides on my PC's secondary HDD, not the HDD the OS is installed on.

VM has its network adapter bridged, so it's talking to the router directly, not going through a NAT process.

There are two people on the server - myself and my brother, who is on the LAN, so ping times as reported by the clients are 0ms.

However, even when on the server by myself, I notice certain spells seem to have no lag (paladin flash of light) or significant lag (paladin holy light) as determined by the time between when the casting is finished and when it actually takes effect (holy light seems to take quite a significant time). I also noticed during a duel, the characters seem to jump around a lot.

So, I'm looking for ways to optimize performance. Looking at the resource monitor, the CPU hovers between 16-20% usage and the RAM around 20% usage. So it's not hitting the limits of the VM's resources.

Any special MySql or mangosd.conf settings that might help? I've tried searching around, but it's mostly very old information.

PS - forgot to mention, after a duel the mangosd console window is spammed with ByteBufferExceptions.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

the holy light problem come from remove the extra mods files is not a lag https://github.com/mangoszero/server/commit/09278fb1f596164b714c92c20ef296565aedb42f#diff-40f975f904d13afa546c741e6cbe2eacL57

this code must move to core part

you can test my patch for this spell is a hack but must be work for the moment not sure i have not tested http://paste2.org/XC3YI5eU

Archived