Hello - This Community is Awesome!

elguapo

Hello everyone,

I just joined this community after doing some research into how to run my own WoW vanilla server. I have a systems engineering background, so I’d be willing to help out where I can.

I probably screwed up in placing my first post – I left it in the scripting area, which I realize now was not the best place for it. Essentially, I was able to build a MaNGOS server using the Debian setup guide, though I found many items that were out of date. I took detailed notes on my build, so I would be happy to help out with documentation efforts.

The one item I noticed was that NPC pathing seems broken inside caves. In both the Undead and Orc starting zones I found that mobs (as well as pets) are clipping through the cave ceiling, making them impossible to kill.

I’m still trying to figure out of this is a bug or if I did something wrong during the extraction phase of the maps, mmaps, vmaps, and dbc. I used the Rel 20 branch and the WoW 1.12.1 client on Debian 8.0.

On the Extracting Game Assets documentation page I was not able to perform the step to compile StormLib because /BUILD_LOCATION/mangos/server/dep/StormLib/ was not there. Everything else however I was able to make work by reading through forum posts.

Anyhow, thanks for all the awesome work on this project. Classic WoW will always hold a special place in my heart.

-ElGuapo

Hey there, and welcome to the community! As you noticed, movement isn't exactly perfect or polished, it is definitely a work in progress. StormLib is only used for the extractors for Cataclysm and above, previous versions use MPQLib. With the new build system of 20/21, the tools are optional parameters (should be enabled by default) during the cmake step.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout!

The NPC movement issue inside of caves I reported above was bothering be so I decided to try some things out -

My feeling was that the issue was somehow related to the contents of the extracted /data folder (maps, vmaps, etc) so I grabbed a copy of the data folder from the community repack post here: https://www.getmangos.eu/community-projects/10128-wow-1-12-server-repack.html

I replaced my server's data directory with the contents of the repack data directory and BOOM, the NPC movement issue inside of caves went away.

This is suggestive of two things to me -

1. I did something wrong during the data extraction process or;

2. The data extraction procedure is incorrect / out of date.

The process I followed for extracting the data for [zero] on Debian are:

Copy the WoW Client to the server -

* mkdir /opt/mangos/wowclient

* WinSCP the client folder to: /opt/mangos/wowclient

Extract the Game Assets -

* cd /opt/mangos

* mkdir data && mkdir logs

* cd server/dep/libmpq

* ./autogen.sh

* ./configure

* make

* cp /opt/mangos/zero/bin/tools/map-extractor /opt/mangos/wowclient