Mangos on a hiatus?

marcelo20xx

I am a little worried about the recent commits on GitHub, it seems that after merging branch 21 to the master it hasn't been any more updates, I know it barely passed a month since but considering that commits were fairly regularly before that I want to ask. So it is Mangos on a hiatus or something?

I understand devs and all the people contributing had RL priorities but please don't tell me its the last...

• marcelo20xx changed the title to Mangos on a hiatus?
3 hours ago, marcelo20xx said:

I am a little worried about the recent commits on GitHub, it seems that after merging branch 21 to the master it hasn't been any more updates, I know it barely passed a month since but considering that commits were fairly regularly before that I want to ask. So it is Mangos on a hiatus or something?

I understand devs and all the people contributing had RL priorities but please don't tell me its the last...

Of course it isn't on hiatus. There are not enough active people contributing and actively discussing and learning here on the forums. The developers are all working full time jobs. You also need to consider that the things being worked on are not usually small bugs that fill up a bug tracker. The team is working on updating over a decade of code and making changes to the actual framework of the Mangos project. What that means is that yes, the bug reports section is not always full of replies to reports that are easy to confirm. Do we know if they monitor those internally? We can assume if we read enough on the forums that they do. You can't judge the activity of a project based on commit history. A project might seem dead for 6 months, and then roll out a massive update and overhaul that changes everything. Taking the time to get involved and learn is also a better way to add to the community.

Be the change that you want to see.

Oook, slow down your train though, I could be in the scene more time than you think... I am not a new member to the wow community, I actively contributed to projects like Ascent, Arcemu and the old Mangos before it was split, so dont assume things...

Dont be fooled by my low post count...

I was hoping Antz or someone from the Dev Staff replied but in all honestly I too put WoW aside for RL priorities so I understand perfectly if they are being busy, no need to bash me... 

Oh BTW at some point I was a dev of Oregon core too, one of the few specialized cores in TBC emulation...

I actually wasn't bashing you at all, my post was just a bit rambling as it is an unusually late hour here :P. The TL;DR of why there isn't a lot of activity beyond support on the forums is because of the larger project goal being the focus currently (cleaning up the DBs and streamlining things). Thankfully there are more people registering here and asking questions. If a few of them get involved more, maybe we will see a more active ticker.

Fair enough, I realize my question could be interpreted as a flame bait but I was genuinely interested as to why the commits suddenly stopped, at the moment I am relearning the new Mangos structure (I didn't code since 2009, damn Cataclysm made me lose all my interest in WoW, so after this long time it takes some effort to be on the road again), nowadays I tend to relax coding scripts for Quests and try to create a more believable AI for commons mobs (the ones populating the world)...

I wouldn't say flame bait, but it does get asked in one form or another fairly often. I guess only the devs really know what they are working on, if anything. Maybe they are focused on real life issues. I have been trying to learn what I can in my free time to answer questions for people here. I can't really do more than that right now, and I think we just need more 'footsoldiers' for that kind of thing as well as simple scripting. More researchers would be amazing also, especially for Zero core. Google tools date guidelines for searches are great, and old videos are wonderful, but one or two people can't hope to provide enough information.

I guess it will take time. Hopefully we see an increase in overall activity!

WoWhead was a great source back then for Vanilla up to 3.3.5a but then they dropped  their DB for older builds (despite many members asking to preserve the data). I used to had one of the best source for Vanilla coding, I bought the entire Joana's leveling guide for the Vanilla Client it was somewhere around 80GBs, I lost it on a HD failure a years back then. The videos helped me script blizzlike Quests. For example on current Mangos cores there are some missing but simple scripting in quest like "Gann's Reclamation part3" where you need to blow the Dwarf's Plane and also in "Jinzil Magic" when you turned the Quest the final script is missing on the videos and in retail Jinzil poisoned the humans captives while he walked toward each of them laughing...

Hi all

First off - don't panic, we aren't going anywhere !!

As for myself, following the mammoth effect merging dev21 into the main branches across four cores and four databases I was a little drained.

Since then however I have ended up in hospital twice and I know that at least one other fellow dev as also been in hospital several times (and may be there again).

On top of that, we all have RL jobs to do as well.

In summary it's been a very bad run for us at MaNGOS recently, hopefully we'll be back up to speed again very soon.

Archived