Severe Lag after 2000+ players

• 39 years later...

Hello,

According to our tests on 3.1.3 version of the client about 3 months ago our realm experienced severe (unplayable) latency problems after 2000+ players were online. Other than that, the core is fantastic.

My question is, has the optimization been done to the code since then? Have other servers experienced high latency with 2000+ players online? By the way, our server's hardware is high-end and so is bandwidth.

Cheers

Well, with some custom patches my friends had 4.5k+ ppl online on their Quad Xeon, 16 GB RAM server w/o VMAPS :) So yeah, we have a progress in performance tuning, just need time to make patches production-ready :D

That is very impressive on such a CPU, but I guess it wasn't very stable yet?

I guess all "testers" connect of course per LAN since anything else wouldn't be allowed *cough*. I personally still use as basic a revision from November08 with Mtmaps and some crashfixes of newer revisions and get with 1000 "testers" around 4-5 days uptime till I mostly restart manually and there is no lag at all. If you don't want lags with the current hardware and Mangos revision then simply set a player limit and keep your database clean. Some members here really demand sometimes "Fix this crash now!" instead of solving it themselves and support the project that way and may even learn something new.

That is very impressive on such a CPU, but I guess it wasn't very stable yet?

Stability was ~5-6 hours. But it has improved dramatically since we've found the reasons why server crash so often with mtmaps patch... After that 14-16 hours uptime is normal ^_^

Am actually thinking that if you actually got 2k players, then you really dont have any problems. I mean come on, 2000 players in a server is like wayy too many people. If you already got so many people there, then dont worry about lag or spikes. Is like a million dollar man worrying about a dollar bill.

i cannot believe you got that bad laggs. With mtmaps and current grid-performance improvements ambal did mangos has the best performance out there in the wide world of wow emus - it is running just like a speedboat *jokingly* ;)

i guess your laggs are mainly caused by a heavy loaded mysqld and bad my.cnf

Stability was ~5-6 hours. But it has improved dramatically since we've found the reasons why server crash so often with mtmaps patch... After that 14-16 hours uptime is normal ^_^

Hi Ambal, Can you tell me what is the improvements in mtmaps patch to reduce crash in server please?

We use this patch for rev8582 of kapategit: http://pastebin.ca/1599262

Best Regards ^^