GIT Rev number?

Doesnt have to be exact time. Like something made for yesterday's commits would be 10162008_mangos.sql.

8 Patch Created in 2008-10-17 !!!

How Can Characterize Which Patch ?!

and This Time And Date Carate Automatic By Git

Developer Can`t Create Rev Before Update patch !

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, well...for many of us SVN was a good choice. It was clear, we had a good overview what happened and could learn very good how to code with the revisions on svn and the very good comments devs made on a commit.

BUT honestly, everything which is new, needs some time to accept. Maybe in a few weeks or months we never want to go back to svn...who knows ;)

Greetings,

Cozzmic

Master branch automaticly mirrored on subversion would be nice ( if it is possible ) for non-devs to use and keep up with MaNGOS as well as to know on what they really are in just one number.

On the other side 3rdP developers should like GIT much more, however using that thing on windows is still pain...

EDIT: forgot about GIT usefulness for server admins as well, seems that GIT is really just windows unfriendly nothing more ...

i've the revision 6756 from SVN and now i've a revision from git... and i have to say, as windowsuser, git for me is no choise...

who has done this decision to move to gid? because i've seen here also senior members and developers posting here...

i hope you will go back to SVN, because for me, git is no choise and if it will rest so i'll maybe go to trinity, because with SVN you have a clear communication base, about which revision you are speaking. for example if you say, that you have developed a new boss in scriptdev2, until now you could say, "needs mangos rev. 6756, udb rev. 361 and sd2 rev. 687", but now, what can you say about the mangos rev? uh yeah... there is now ref... and how can you do a patch? oh yeah, you can't because it's git...

so... *please* go back to SVN

I totaly agree with DasBlub! GIT is so F****** hard to handle on windows!

I'm not even able to Update my mangos, because it says "All ready up-to-date" but if i check, there is my old mangos, non updated.

I think GIT will scare many users off, and they may will switch to trinity!

I can't work with GIT on windows but I also won't to go to trinity, because i "love" MaNGOS!

And if i look at GIT Repo, and i see how the SQLs will be named iam gonna puke!

That damn GIT makes MaNGOS so hard to handle, please switch back to SVN!

Greez,

Joni

i've the revision 6756 from SVN and now i've a revision from git... and i have to say, as windowsuser, git for me is no choise...

who has done this decision to move to gid? because i've seen here also senior members and developers posting here...

i hope you will go back to SVN, because for me, git is no choise and if it will rest so i'll maybe go to trinity, because with SVN you have a clear communication base, about which revision you are speaking. for example if you say, that you have developed a new boss in scriptdev2, until now you could say, "needs mangos rev. 6756, udb rev. 361 and sd2 rev. 687", but now, what can you say about the mangos rev? uh yeah... there is now ref... and how can you do a patch? oh yeah, you can't because it's git...

so... *please* go back to SVN

Mangos Now is Big Project And SVN Not Handle Good :(

Back to SVN = Other Problems

Question : SVN Not Support Big Project Or sourceforge.net ?!!!

I agree.... SVN was very cool and easy to use... now it's really a pain in the a**...

I couldn't even retrieve mangos from its GIT repository, I don't understand a thing.

SVN was just so much better... for a project like mangos anyway. And if you really wanna keep it, then continue using svn for major releases or smthing..

I just can't see the problem with going back to SVN?!

Ok i had to click 4 times on "Update" that i get the newest version, but f*** of, at least i was able to get newest version, patch those patches that i like to have and have an overview of that was has changed in latest Revs..

I understand everyone, who switched to Trinity because that GIT-s**t sucks. But i wanna stand at mangos.

Boom

Thx For vladimir

File names are divided into two parts. First part is the date+counter

that show commit apply date that will be compatible with database after apply update.

The second part of the name, is the table that needs and update or has been added.

See an example below:

2008_10_17_01_characters_character_spell.sql

|................|...|...............|

|................|...|...............|

|................|...|............... The table character_spell

|................|...|............... will need an update.

|................|...|

|................|... Name of affected DB (default recommended name)

|................|... Can be: characters, mangos, realmd

|................|

|................ Counter show number of sql update in updates list for provided data

|................ and set proper order for sql updates for some date

|

MaNGOS commit date related to sql update. For related commit

you can see http://github.com/mangos/mangos/commits/master

Expected commit will be in commits list for provided date and it will have

sql update file name (2008_10_17_01_characters_character_spell.sql in our case) in list

changed files, After appling this update DB compatiable with found commit.

perhaps this link will help all those ppl that haven't had success with git on windows.

Getting Started with Git and GitHub on Windows - Kyle Cordes

i personally had never used it and in just a day am very comfortable with how it works.

yes there is no rev # per sea but you can use the first few digits in the hash like a rev number and pull a working copy of the repo up to that "revision".

i like the move i think it will make development better and more effecient.

regards,

JDG

Edit --- by the way you don't have to set up an account or key to get the repo. just use the public address instead it starts with git:// ....

as an alternative you can go to the main page http://github.com/jdguzman/trinitygui/tree/master and hit the download and it will download the master in zip format

for example i compile now an server and then 2 weeks later i want to update how to know witch files to apply? is the date saved to MaNGOS source like .server info show MaNGOS /0.11/17.10.2008/GIT this would be cool so you can see witch date your rev have and witch updates to apply to update to newest rev is this possible?

and what obout patches? how to no for witch MaNGOS "version" commit what ever^^ is the patch for?

for example i compile now an server and then 2 weeks later i want to update how to know witch files to apply? is the date saved to MaNGOS source like .server info show MaNGOS /0.11/17.10.2008/GIT this would be cool so you can see witch date your rev have and witch updates to apply to update to newest rev is this possible?

Why not just do a git pull command and it will update your local working copy with the most recent master?

I suppose, even the devs noticed, that they need to develop some kind of revisions system, according the changsets, e.g. Did anybody already find a GIT command to get the actual state of the project like a number or date? Why do the devs bomb the whole thing with this change without thinking how to define the actual state of the project. How can other projects work together without revision numbers or similar things. This sucks so much i´m really pi**** off :mad: We really have nothing else to do the whole day to change everything that was used to be working so well for years now.

and what obout patches? how to no for witch MaNGOS "version" commit what ever^^ is the patch for?

You Must Remember Last Date+Conter Sql Update And Update New Sql !

What Problem ?!!!

we have to create or finde out any rev or version system thats sure without that it will be impossible to keep in view whats going on.

perhaps the official release can switch back to an "better" SVN provider and the git system is only used by devs , if we didnt find a solution.

i always have to know witch date AND time i have compiled my server to know what updates to apply ?? i think to add this information to source is no big problem so you can see for example ingame MaNGOS 0.11/17.10.2008/13:00 or so....

and what about patches???

in game mangos version (svn_revison.h generation) will be fixed in some way but later...

we have to create or finde out any rev or version system thats sure without that it will be impossible to keep in view whats going on.

perhaps the official release can switch back to an "better" SVN provider and the git system is only used by devs , if we didnt find a solution.

i always have to know witch date AND time i have compiled my server to know what updates to apply ?? i think to add this information to source is no big problem so you can see for example ingame MaNGOS 0.11/17.10.2008/13:00 or so....

and what about patches???

Date + Counter

Example :

Anyway You Must Remember Last Update in Your Server

It`s Reality Easy !

25ae5bcef634218c53a20d0c87b96d7f.jpg

ok my last question ist patches?

how to no for with version ist the patch is working=?

In correct way patch author must create mangos fork (branch in svn naming) at github.com , add patch and do "request pull" to mangos master.

After author can pull from mangos master to own fork chnages and update patch for compatibility from time to time.

Good side is:

1) author not required search online storage for patch

2) always can update patch

3) other ppl can use author patch in salf sources just pull from his fork...

Bad side:

author must get some expirience with git system work and github.com work.

I know it's all new and strange and this is probably going to take time to adjust, but using the Git GUI I'm trying to get the latest changes/additions to MaNGOS and I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it. It doesn't look like it's doing anything at all.

I'm worried that I'm going to be resigned to a life of having to delete my local repository, and then re-clone the whole of MaNGOS every time I want to compile an updated version, and this seems horribly wasteful.