GIT Rev number?

100% argee with X-Savior

git sould be used for devs only an people who wants to devolp big patches like Arena or so but there should be a normal public SVN witch contains the master of MaNGOS git

i think a good solution were if the devs and everyone who want to held develop MaNGOS use git and the usefull features like branches etc. but the user who wants to compile or apply patches should have the possibility to use SVn so perhaps it would be possible to clone the git master to an SVN server or so.

one of the big advantage of SVN was TortoiseSVN because manymany people used this tool.

Linux user havent such big diffrent from SVN or git but windows user do.

a big

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% argee with X-Savior

git sould be used for devs only an people who wants to devolp big patches like Arena or so but there should be a normal public SVN witch contains the master of MaNGOS git

i think a good solution were if the devs and everyone who want to held develop MaNGOS use git and the usefull features like branches etc. but the user who wants to compile or apply patches should have the possibility to use SVn so perhaps it would be possible to clone the git master to an SVN server or so.

one of the big advantage of SVN was TortoiseSVN because manymany people used this tool.

Linux user havent such big diffrent from SVN or git but windows user do.

a big

I can agree with this post, SVN was for me personally a lot better. I have no experience with Git yet (Currently learning it) and simple things like "Create / Apply Patches" make already problems for me on Git.

A Public SVN with something like a Release or "Stable" Version would be awesome. Got the SVN closed cause of resource issues, can we maybe help?

Originally Posted by floop viewpost.gif

Guys, please, calm down.

GIT, as any other of the source systems is for *developers*. And it is developers that do the work, regardless whether it makes your life tad more complicated or not.1

True.

Cheers :)

And for who are you developing then? Honestly, without DB and Scripts MaNGOS is an unsusable but quite good MMORPG engine, though useless without a community developing the additional patches, scripts and db's to USE it as it is supposed to be and affirming the opposite is hypocratic but you may do because "of legal issues". Think about it and please don't bomb the rest of the community and STOP SUGGESTING the people posting here are winers - they try to cope with this change as normal human beeings (not everybody is a dev here) and bring some good info to the devs!. The Ludas position is ok, if MaNGOS would be absolute and the development is standing for itself, but it is not. I'll wait for an alternative revnumber and I bet so is the mayority of the MaNGOS community, but I don't know where you get this arrogance somtimes, you treat some community members several times. It's not about the change to GIT it's the missing rev numbers here and nothing else.

Kind regards from "just anothe whining" computer scientist, that is p*** off too.

• 38 years later...

Since this "great" change to GIT repository i´m rewriting all my scripts since yesterday and learn about the handling of GIT. But how can we get the rev or versionsnumber of the actual sourcefiles of that repository as it was like subversion with

MRev=`svnversion -n ${SourceDir}`

???

Also there is no svn file created too, an alternative might be nice.

Agreed.

Now when you Pull an updated version of Mangos you have no idea WHAT version you even have.

I understand that GIT is not like SVN where it is not seperate versions but individual file hashes.

When you guys make an update you should just create a tag file that is updates with a version number. :(

i think it would be a nice idea to use svn parallel to git or something because now i see only negativ things in switch to git.

perhaps a good guide how to use git with mangos make things clearer.

and whats with sql updates how to konw withch to appy or database how to know witch is compatible?

big Open questons hope somone can make things clear

The parallel suggestion above would really be nice as it would allow gradual migration of existing patches (I am wondering how .patch files work without svn information to pull down the version the diff is for?). Personally I hate this new git though I'm sure if I can figure out how to get it past my firewall and actually work it might grow on me. (still getting socket errors)

There should be an SVN for public releases and GIT can be used un place of a DEV SVN.

I agree, this is NOT practical to use.

Don't get me wrong, I can pull a version and build it but what version you are running is another question. When coordinating with UDB and SD2 it is IMPOSSIBLE when working with actual RELEASE VERSIONS. ALso, how the heck are you to file a proper bug report or keep track of them using hash numbers?

from what i understood in linus trovalds google video, is that GIT does not keep version of files like SVN does, but keeps versions of repositories.

I like GIT because it is really fast, but is in absolutely no condition to be used on a project like mangos, it is still a "new" product, and we should wait for some devs out there to develop "tortoise svn" like clients for it.

I use three diffrent linux distibutions here and it´s partually a pain in the a** to make GIT properly run with my scripts and then you compile the stuff and don´t have a rev number to coordinate with sd2/udb, etc, also installed by smart scripts, but fu*** by stupid GIT. :mad: Without a fix rev/nunmber i can draw my scripts into the bin.

I'm really disappointed about the move to git, especially when it comes to 3rd party patches. The GIT GUI for Windows really bites, no Visual Studio integration (that I can find) unlike Tortoise + VisualSVN. The GIT tools on Windows seem extremely immature.

I hope that the Mangos devs would be willing to keep a copy in SVN, even if it means only updating SVN once a week. It would be much better than the situation GIT provides to us, the community.

/selfish rant