Site maintenance - 4th October 2010

Guest AuntieMangos

I am not trying to say you made the changes with light heart, i was just following up on your post

Feel free to ask for more, if you want details.

i wanted more details cause i find it interesting :)

I have compared database load and other stuff in various test systems, and this change was made after several weeks of trying stuff.

how did you compare the database loads? Seems to me that it is very hard to simulate people posting to a forum. simply requesting the pages multiple times would just favour forum software with good caching systems.

I can't really follow your argument about tables, because having a big database isnt a bad thing in itself and 500mb isn't that huge nowadays. What sort of hardware does the webserver run on that you would need dedicated db server for 500mb database?

From what i understand the current mysql database isnt on same server as forum anyway is it?

The error is related to the database partly. If you have 50k requests a day and each fires of 40 database queries, the database will be under a bit of load. If you can reduce that to 8 queries per request, its an improvement. And with FluxBB I am able to nail it down to even less queries with a few tricks which I could not use on vBulletin.

What tricks do you use to reduce the number of queries?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Database load is indeed not simple to simulate, but you can at least simulate sufficient requests locally to create the same amount queries and see what happens :)

Regarding the size of tables and database: 500MB may not be big but for 100k posts, this is too much. It is bad design simply. Plus I have to do maintenance over SSH and e.g. run backups, and updates over SSH. It's far from pleasant to sync 200 tables for each update, and it kills more of my spare time than I think is acceptable.

Query reduction in this case comes with two tricks: kill the tons of never used features that vBulletin had (and yes, AJAX does loads of crap and you never notice the difference), and introduce a cache that actually works. As you may have noticed the speed of the site improved a lot over the last hours, and it will get better soon.

@The Sheep (©) & The Gnome Engineer (©)

Here is a little list of some improvements that I'd find useful :)

- the notification when you post a message is annoying, I'd prefer to be directly redirected to the thread when I post

- there is no "preview" button : is it on your to-do list?

- I think the default avatar should be...nothing, and not a ugly gravatar blue image

- I loved the clickable logo on the ancient forum, is it possible to do the same with the current logo?

- is it possible to stick the signatures at the bottom of each post block, instead of directly under the message itself? like :

example0.png :D

- I remind the bug Vladimir started to report : some threads that you didn't read are marked as read.

- is there any official release date for the wiki? I miss him...I feel lonely and futureless...

@The Sheep (©) & The Gnome Engineer (©)

Here is a little list of some improvements that I'd find useful :)

- the notification when you post a message is annoying, I'd prefer to be directly redirected to the thread when I post

- I think the default avatar should be...nothing, and not a ugly gravatar blue image

- I loved the clickable logo on the ancient forum, is it possible to do the same with the current logo?

- is it possible to stick the signatures at the bottom of each post block, instead of directly under the message itself? like :

http://www.zimagez.com/miniature/example0.png :D

- I remind the bug Vladimir started to report : some threads that you didn't read are marked as read.

- is there any official release date for the wiki? I miss him...I feel lonely and futureless...

Good points, I agree on all of them!

Cheers :)

This is a simple matter of disabling the redirect. Not a big one, consider it done.

There is one, it exists only if you use the "Post a reply" link, or a full quote instead of a quick quote. Quick replies are meant to be quick without previews.

Actually I was considering a few alternatives which are prettier. Not sure yet, which I shall chose. Default avatar is easy to do in terms of tech but in terms of looks, not easy. I demand something as great as exploding squirrels!

Yes, I did, too. It's coming back along with a few other visual changes in the queue.

- is it possible to stick the signatures at the bottom of each post block, instead of directly under the message itself?

Yes, possible. I'll add that to my bug tracker.

This is what actually distracts me from other issues currently. Since this forum is so lean, I am trying various options for proper tracking. It will work soon. Have a bit patience, the sheep has a daughter, and sometimes gets distracted by her demands.

Saturday, or Sunday. You will only need your forum login by then. We had a combined authentication in 2006, and I thought it would be nice to have that back and working again. Again, the sheeps' daughter is the factor to calculate in. Girls aged five are often worse than a last minute multi million Euro project :P

About the "preview" button : you're right, I didn't look at the complete form.

About the combined authentication : great news :)

About your daughter :

/target TheLudasDaughter

/cast 3DaysSheep

and you're free! :P

Thanks a lot gentlemen, your hard work is very appreciated, I mean it.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to implement something like either the IPB inline mod (take action on multiple threads) or the "Delete as spam" option? Makes it easier for situations such as earlier when a bot started spamming the forum, currently i must ban the user then manually delete each post. On the previous forum it was possible to select multiple posts, or by deleting as spam you could ban and remove all posts at the same time

Thanks.

DaveMM