Any ETA on 4.0.1 support?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 40 years later...

I am very new to Mangos so i was wondering how long it usually takes to support new major patches and how long it is expected to be before 4.0.1 is supported, and i know this one is a longshot but how long before cataclysm is supported? i know you really dont know for sure but a rough estement would be great. and thank you all for what you do>

Sorry, but we can not give you an estimate for 4.x support.

There are various issues with this client upgrade, and to this point it is not sure if we will be able to work around these or not. Thus please do not expect any ETA from us.

It will come, or it will not. For the time being you do have mangos branches for the 1.12, 2.4, and 3.3 client branches available.

Sorry, but we can not give you an estimate for 4.x support.

There are various issues with this client upgrade, and to this point it is not sure if we will be able to work around these or not. Thus please do not expect any ETA from us.

It will come, or it will not. For the time being you do have mangos branches for the 1.12, 2.4, and 3.3 client branches available.

+1 Personally I'm in no hurry take your time, as long as possible the better. Better to have a stable 3.3.5.

...and here we go again!

I know you guys are curious, but come on! You'd think you learned after BC or Wrath was released that MaNGOS will support the latest client when the code base is ready. This is done by volunteers, in their spare time, and you just can't put an exact date on anything. It's ready when it's ready.

If you're in a hurry for 4.0.x support, then why not put your brains to use by actually helping, rather than asking asinine questions? If you can't help, then please be patient.

...and here we go again!

I know you guys are curious, but come on! You'd think you learned after BC or Wrath was released that MaNGOS will support the latest client when the code base is ready. This is done by volunteers, in their spare time, and you just can't put an exact date on anything. It's ready when it's ready.

If you're in a hurry for 4.0.x support, then why not put your brains to use by actually helping, rather than asking asinine questions? If you can't help, then please be patient.

Yes you are right, every release everybody wants a date.

Perhaps you can do an other way:

my suggestion, let's say a released will be done in around 3 month for example: 1 February 2011. Put it somewhere on this web site as a key reference.

Every month a review is done about the progress by Vladimir ( ? :) ), with a one world of comment (no check, beginning, some problems encountered,...) , and this date can be delayed in one way or another. No more questions at the end, isnt' it ?.

The problem is not giving out a date for a release.

The real problem is: whatever we do, and where we write it does not matter because people will not read what we write and always return to asking "Is it already out?".

We have had this with every client release requiring longer time to upgrade, and I doubt it will change. Look above... it just required to read 3 posts above to find out that we have no ETA, and this already was too much effort asked by us...

I bet, even if I change the site and add a huge coloured, blinking line above every page that reads "There is no client 4.0.x support available yet." you will still see no topics opening, asking for a date, or asking why not, even if we answer it multiple times.

This has been the scheme of things since 2005, and why should it change suddenly? :D Sorry, if this sounds unfriendly, it is not my intention. Just wanted to describe how these things work out usually.

I think this quote will clear up some confusion on 4.X

Now this was posted on a different site, which I wont name because honestly I'm not sure if its against the rules of this forum or not, but I'm sure most of you know who wrote it and where it was posted originally:

No, there will not likely be a 4.0.1 private server any time soon for a few interesting reasons, all to do with something called "opcodes."

To specify, opcodes are the encoded values that allow the server and client to communicate back and forth. To put it in generic terms, it's basically like a language. Each opcode is a different 'password' and it's how private servers talk to private server players.

Now these opcodes have not changed in the last 5 years. Every once in awhile one or two opcodes will be added or change to a new spot. But with 4.0.1 every single opcode was randomized. In the last 5 years people have decoded about 80% of all opcodes. Now they'd have to start all over again, and it is apparently Blizzard's plan to randomize opcodes every patch. That would mean doing 5 years worth of work every 4 weeks or so.

Now let's put it in a real-world analogy. Let's say you were asked to learn a language to talk to this newly discovered tribe of people. You spent five years learning the language by hanging out with them, finding out how they communicated, and were finally "pretty good" at it. Suddenly you find out that these people are going to change to a brand new, totally different language. And they are going to change to a new language every 4 weeks. So to even talk to them you would have to keep learning their new language once a month or not be able to talk back and forth.

That's where the industry is at right now. People would love to have Cata servers, sure. But it's too much cat and mouse work trying to come up with the opcodes to communicate back and forth. And it isn't like you can find out an opcode at any time, you can only find them out by watching how the retail servers communicate. So once they update to a new version, there are new opcodes and all the old ones you learned are useless. With the new 'live patching' system they're talking about for Cata it becomes even more of an exercise in futility.

Solution: just downgrade to 3.3.5a, join a nice private server, enjoy it and if you want the new stuff go with retail.

Now is this truthful in any way shape or form, to tell you the truth I honestly don't care if it is or is not, its only an example that there are many factors that will slow down the development of 4.X support.

and that mangos is trasch then? if i can't use it...

error: "trasch": keyword not found

If you want to setup a 4.x server, you're on your own - ie. "make it yourself" or seek help elsewhere. If you can't understand that, ... well .. I'm sure some of the forum mods _will_ take action .. *wink*.

and that mangos is trash then? if i can't use it...
i want to say trash.

The fact that you're unable to "use" it doesn't by any means indicate that mangos is a "trash", it simply means that something is "blocking" you from using it, ie. lack of knowledge, language barrier, inability to search and so on.