mangos source/project list

Guest Salja_

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After losing several developers, MaNGOS has very few people actively working. We have, maybe, one full-time dev for each of the various cores.

We've tried to encourage other members to step forward and help, but with very poor results. We don't even have people willing to take time and learn, judging by the near zero participation in MaNGOS University.

What do you all expect, that new devs will magically appear? MaNGOS is your community and your project. It belongs to us all, but it will never prosper if we don't accept some responsibility to make MaNGOS better.

We need people to write code, documentation, tutorials and guides. No job is too small and everyone is urged to give a little extra.

Project Silverpine has been waiting for theluda to return so that we can continue discussing the project merge we had planned. It's been about a month now.

I'm not sure how many of our devs are still active, since Silverpine development has been on a de facto hiatus in preparation for the merge.

Right now it's pretty much just me and Ghurok fixing extremely minor database bugs at a slow pace.

We have several active testers playing on our server and reporting any bugs they find though.

Too much to do. No help from the community.

I'm not happy when reading this. :(

I spent time helping on mangos-zero for the last months, mainly doing backports from mangos-one as my programming skills are unfortunately pretty low, though I learned much with those backports.

For the next steps, I needed directions and some inputs from theluda as what I had in mind could create merging issues with some undergoing work he told the community about. This was more than a month ago and I'm still waiting. I can understand that theluda or other developers are busy, especially at this time of the year, but saying the community does not help is... disapointing. The community can not just do some work from scratch: we need inputs and they are not coming lately, at least on zero. :(

From my personal point of view the official MaNGOS project is now dead.

There was no active development on Zero, One, WotLK and master for a very long period of time.

The only source of active development are the two main mangos forks: MangosR2 and Cmangos. I just hope that in the future, some of these will take responsibility to support all the client versions.

Also, as a personal opinion: I didn't like the fact that the recent project admins tried to hijack SD2, by creating the scripts repositories just to pull the commits from master SD2. Same applies for DB projects.

Too much to do. No help from the community.

I'm not happy when reading this. :( (

I apologize if you felt personally offended by my statement. We have 1000 members in this forum right now. If less then 1% of these (not counting people with "Developer" under their names) contribute, I think it is fairly accurate to say that the input from the community is limited.

If you would post what you had in mind it could be discussed by all of us - more brains = more input. We should try to be as independent as possible from individuals as single-point-of-failure. That is the reason why e.g. the database (one and zero) is developed in git directly and not as updatepacks.

this is very interesting since no one else knows anything else about this...

Why, I knew. But that is beside the point, I guess.

The main problem is not that people left the community - but that knowledge has left the community, and that is much harder to replace. I can teach anyone enough programming in a month to start hacking on mangos or fixing the db or whatever (that is, provided you are willing to learn and ask questions). But understanding some of the systems in MaNGOS (spells, or the map cell system come to mind) and their interactions can literally take ages, and almost no one is left who actually understands them still. I do not mean to say that you will not get help if you venture into those areas - just that it will be less... helpful.

Also, as a personal opinion: I didn't like the fact that the recent project admins tried to hijack SD2, by creating the scripts repositories just to pull the commits from master SD2. Same applies for DB projects.

I cannot speak for the scripts, as I was not involved into that. I assume this could have been handled better, politically.

My personal opinion: If something is free and open-source, anyone can do with it as they please. People fork projects all the time. As long as the commit authors are preserved I do not think anyone has reason to complain. Anyone can check the commits in the repo and see that the actual work was done by the SD2 team and just pulled by MaNGOS.

Aside: Funny enough, all cries for help from the devs are ignored, but as soon as someone from the community expresses disappointment in commit frequecies, we have more activity in this thread alone than in all of the forum over the last week ;)

I cannot speak for the scripts, as I was not involved into that. I assume this could have been handled better, politically.

My personal opinion: If something is free and open-source, anyone can do with it as they please. People fork projects all the time. As long as the commit authors are preserved I do not think anyone has reason to complain. Anyone can check the commits in the repo and see that the actual work was done by the SD2 team and just pulled by MaNGOS.

I do agree that everyone can fork SD2 and do whatever they wish with it. My point is that SD2 started as a Mangos friend project. So I didn't understand the idea of the guys which just wanted to take the scripts from us and integrate them into the core, without adding any additional change, since SD2 is already perfectly integrated in core.

And also without talking to SD2 about it. :)

I assume this could have been handled better

I believe that the idea was to drop the dll and compile SD2 directly into the core.

I think we both know that this was a political move as much as a technical one, and, I agree with you, the current system is working and there is no big technical reason to change how it works.

As to "talking to SD2 about it" - see "politics". :) I will not comment on that further - you know the issues as well as everyone else here.

P.S.: If everytime someone proclaimed that mangos is dead those people would donate 1€/$/Gold, the hosting costs would be paid for the next 10 years already…

X-Savior, I cooperated with you, threw off sniffs to you, you thus long promised me the help and threw, from you cent of an infrmatsiya didn't arrive. How with such as you should work after the such?

YuruY,

Calm down.

4.3.4 Development is still on-going everyday. This conversation specifically is talking about core development.

the very small amount of data you gave me I have not even touched yet. I was hoping to get raw sniffs so I could parse them with our OWN parser. Instead you just dumped some data from tables in YTDB format so the tables are extremely different. So please do not hassle me about the couple MB of data you sent me. I am dealing with many GB of sniffs currently of our own archive.

YuruY you need to relax, you made 4 posts in this topic in 16 minutes. I think you need to stop, collect your thoughts and think about what you are trying to say.

А вы думали я вам солью все 8gb сниффов? (в ответ от вас надеялся получить помощь в виде кеша), а от вас в итоге получил одно сообщении "расслабиться".

I have no clue what you are saying but this is not really mangos.ru forums.

We are all doing our best to find out what you want or expect. I think there

I believe we have had some sort of misunderstanding due to poor translators.

From what we all can gather you gave me a couple small sniffs and some data dumped from your DB that is fairly useless for us. So in return you want all of our WDB files? I can not see how we came to this arrangement but we will do what we can on 2 conditions:

1) Please Speak ENGLISH here so others (and myself) can understand you

2) Stop harassing us and in general being very rude.

We have no problems trying to help you but you have offended us greatly.

Переводчик юзайте. Яже понимаю что вы пишите.

Ну да, когда я помогал вам сниффами все было нормально, как только я попросил поделиться со мной кешами с "npc_text" (больше мне ничего не надо) вы сразу встали в позу непонимающего человека, типа делов не знаю. Это нормальное отношение? Думаете после такого с вами ктото будет сотрудничать?

YuruY, пожалуйста пишите на английском языке. X-Savior вас не понимает.

И это вообще не место для ваших личных проблем

------------

YuruY, please write in english if possible, X-Savior obviously does not understand you.

And, for the both of you, gentlemen, this is not the place for your personal problems!

very true... but on that same token I do have a keen sense of my gut feelings and I am getting a bad feeling in general right now.

We will see what all happens in the next little while.

Very ominous. Mind elaborating?

Well, we will see how things shape up with projects. it is possible the work may continue elsewhere if project activity has completely stopped.

I am not saying this is the case but I AM keeping one eye on the community in general.

In any case I am not really worried anymore as our hard work and effort will continue regardless of who's flag we carry. :)