Preinstalled server packs

Guest alexluana_

Question

24 answers to this question

Hm.. im personaly not a friend of those repack-things. Server-owners are meant to know what they do. Its very simple basicaly:

1. get sources (everyone can download)

2. compile (under linux "make", under windows just press compile button :D)

3. insert database -> just select the .sql file, there you go.

4. configure your server -> thats the core part.

One of the major problems i've seen in the past with repacks was people spamming out servers like hell, and the good servers went under in the server-flood.

I would prefer a fail-proof clean howto for every platform in the github wiki. Installing and Updating. Config explained and such...

Ofcourse this is pure my opinion, i might be totaly wrong with this, but thats just for my eyes.

Actually, at least for linux you can easily create a script which gets all the stuff from git/svn, builds the executables, populate the databases, and basically puts your server in an "ready to start" - mode.

For windows it should be also possible to do this - I am not experienced in Windows scripting though.

Something along the lines of this should do:

#!/bin/bash
echo "First off, we install necessary packages if you do not have them yet"
sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc g++ automake git-core autoconf make patch libmysql++-dev mysql-server libtool libssl-dev grep binutils zlibc libc6 libbz2-dev cmake

echo "Now we download and compile the server"
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/mangos-one/server.git server
mkdir server/src/bindings/scripts
echo "add_subdirectory(scripts)" > server/src/bindings/CMakeLists.txt
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/mangos-one/scripts.git server/src/bindings/scripts
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/mangos-one/database.git database
cd server
mkdir build
cd build

echo "Please enter the Installation Directory (or leave empty for default location)"
read INSTALLDIR
if [ -z ${INSTALLDIR} ] ; then
 cmake ..
else
 cmake .. -DPREFIX=${INSTALLDIR}
fi

make
make install

cd ../..

echo "Now the database will be installed"
echo "Please enter the credentials for a user with rights to create databases"

echo -n "User: "
read USERNAME

echo -n "Password: "

stty -echo
read PASSWORD
stty echo
echo ""

mysql -u${USERNAME} -p${PASSWORD} < server/sql/create_mysql.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos characters < server/sql/characters.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos realmd < server/sql/realmd.sql

cd database
sh ./make_full_db.sh
mysql -umangos -pmangos mangos < full_db.sql

cd ..

cd server/src/bindings/scripts/sql

mysql -u${USERNAME} -p${PASSWORD} < scriptdev2_create_database.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos scriptdev2 < scriptdev2_create_structure_mysql.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos scriptdev2 < scriptdev2_script_full.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos mangos < mangos_scriptname_full.sql

echo "DONE!"
echo "Now, configure your server, extract stuff, and you are ready to run!"

well the idea of repack in past and why not in present is not ment for server owners or include custom stuff... the base idea was to help ordinary ppl who do not know how to compile a server...this is a fast way of making a local server for testing...

it is good for:

- fast downloading

- fast installing

- it can come with developing programs preinstalled (this will help a lot the developers)

- easy way of having a ready 2 use server for tests

- a light on the new way for beginners

I am interested in a program to do that... I know that there a lot of them outside on internet...but if anyone used something like this pls share a product name...

I forget the name of the program I used in past...

Respect

Actually, at least for linux you can easily create a script which gets all the stuff from git/svn, builds the executables, populate the databases, and basically puts your server in an "ready to start" - mode.

For windows it should be also possible to do this - I am not experienced in Windows scripting though.

Something along the lines of this should do:

#!/bin/bash
echo "First off, we install necessary packages if you do not have them yet"
sudo apt-get install build-essential gcc g++ automake git-core autoconf make patch libmysql++-dev mysql-server libtool libssl-dev grep binutils zlibc libc6 libbz2-dev cmake

echo "Now we download and compile the server"
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/mangos-one/server.git server
mkdir server/src/bindings/scripts
echo "add_subdirectory(scripts)" > server/src/bindings/CMakeLists.txt
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/mangos-one/scripts.git server/src/bindings/scripts
git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/mangos-one/database.git database
cd server
mkdir build
cd build

echo "Please enter the Installation Directory (or leave empty for default location)"
read INSTALLDIR
if [ -z ${INSTALLDIR} ] ; then
 cmake ..
else
 cmake .. -DPREFIX=${INSTALLDIR}
fi

make
make install

cd ../..

echo "Now the database will be installed"
echo "Please enter the credentials for a user with rights to create databases"

echo -n "User: "
read USERNAME

echo -n "Password: "

stty -echo
read PASSWORD
stty echo
echo ""

mysql -u${USERNAME} -p${PASSWORD} < server/sql/create_mysql.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos characters < server/sql/characters.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos realmd < server/sql/realmd.sql

cd database
sh ./make_full_db.sh
mysql -umangos -pmangos mangos < full_db.sql

cd ..

cd server/src/bindings/scripts/sql

mysql -u${USERNAME} -p${PASSWORD} < scriptdev2_create_database.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos scriptdev2 < scriptdev2_create_structure_mysql.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos scriptdev2 < scriptdev2_script_full.sql
mysql -umangos -pmangos mangos < mangos_scriptname_full.sql

echo "DONE!"
echo "Now, configure your server, extract stuff, and you are ready to run!"

Good script.

Not neccesary to install acid and/or ytdb ?

Thanks. Funny you ask - this is for MaNGOS One - TBC 2.4.3 - in that particular case we have all the things in git.

For WoTLK you need to pull scripts from scriptdev2 git repo, and database from UDB or YTDB. But the basic procedure is the same.

Shlainn

Oh sorry about that, i was thinking in Cata.

i would agree if those packs would include a custom patch witch:

a) only accepts LAN connections

b) has a hardcoded MOTD "this server using simple one-click ABC repack"

It makes totaly sence for people wanting to test stuff, also fro people wanting a fast small match. However i would avoid supporting the online-server spam as said above. Sure, people will notice the difference between good and bad servers, but this still results in more empty good servers.

Being a server admin is some work, you should know which packages/software you have installed, you should know how they work, you should know how to maintain them.

icereaper...that was the main ideea... one click server

and no ...the repack would not contain any custom things...only for testing...with further posibility for ppl for making it online

The repack would not cause any problems void... it's pure repository...nothing custom...

Also u can't test anything from vanilla or wotlk on mangosone

Respect

The repacks would open a flood of problems. If ppl realy wanted test server then try official test server at mangosone.org.and from what i read on forums the be a mangoszero test server soon.

exactly (EXACLLY) =) This is precisely the problem, ppls people want fixes but nothing will help for testing the test server is online and nothing test and report bugs.

We work all the time for other server and other server make money with our work.

And than come the repack creators and create a repack with other patches and ppls report bugs from repacks lol.

we can only work if we get help

icereaper...that was the main ideea... one click server

and no ...the repack would not contain any custom things...only for testing...with further posibility for ppl for making it online

The repack would not cause any problems void... it's pure repository...nothing custom...

Also u can't test anything from vanilla or wotlk on mangosone

Respect

For tests the ppls can join the mangosone server and can help and report all bugs and they can play normally with fun.

in my eyes one click server repacks very bad to ruin everything

another thing that makes repacks bad is the they usaly come with a portable mysql.so if ur updating to a new repack i might cause lose of character levers and equip. if u dont know how to prop update instead .most ppl will just over write what they have instead up learn to update properly which causes even more problems.in over all downlowding and compiling isnt realy that hard.and setting up db not that dif either .

you heard the saying so easy a cave man can do it.well in this case so easy a void513 can do it if i can compile and setup server and anyone can realy.if just want to play with friend then use the mangosone test server and help mango community by report probs with server.shortcut are not always betterand repack be a big shortcut.like skipping lesson going straight to test.

well I was not thinking of introducing any custom patches at all salja...

anyways... let's not continue with this thread... I will take lillecarl advice and create binaries for all mangos expansion types...I think once a week for the beggining would be great..

also I might think to write down ony the same thread a small guide for getting ready the server... what do you guys think about this?

Alex, remember: patch the core and make static MOTD saying something like "This is a MaNGOS test server, visit http://mangosone.org for more awesomesauce"

You will figure out a better text ofc. Anyhow, for WoTLK there will be no "newbies" using mangos, they simply think trinitycore works so much better.

50% 2.4.3 is One, 50% OregonCore

Vanilla is 100% mangos i guess? :D

Archived