Thanks for mangos 5.1.0!

beautifulgirl

I think focusing on MOP now is a mistake..

The game is dying, slowly but surely. Titan is already heavily in development and WOW is getting old at this point - MOP may well be the last expansion where Blizzard can make any money and they surely know it by now, it is already free to play as much as you want to level 20. I got a free week from a buddy just to try it out, I stopped after 2 hours.

I don't like the slot changes, the skill changes, or many of the other things MOP brings. In many ways the expansion is a step backwards. This expansion has not sold well, is not retaining players very well, and if left as is will lead to subscription decline very rapidly.

Data sniffing should definitely be done to acquire data that will be harder to get later on, but skipping the parts of Wrath and Cata that are broken tosses out the reason why most people seek out Mangos or similar private servers... They can get MOP right now for free right from the source.

I won't agree with you, everything has a begining, a rising, a falling, and a ending, wow couldn't escape, we all won't escape, walking ahead will never be a mistake

I think focusing on MOP now is a mistake..

The game is dying, slowly but surely. Titan is already heavily in development and WOW is getting old at this point - MOP may well be the last expansion where Blizzard can make any money and they surely know it by now, it is already free to play as much as you want to level 20. I got a free week from a buddy just to try it out, I stopped after 2 hours.

I don't like the slot changes, the skill changes, or many of the other things MOP brings. In many ways the expansion is a step backwards. This expansion has not sold well, is not retaining players very well, and if left as is will lead to subscription decline very rapidly.

Data sniffing should definitely be done to acquire data that will be harder to get later on, but skipping the parts of Wrath and Cata that are broken tosses out the reason why most people seek out Mangos or similar private servers... They can get MOP right now for free right from the source.

I would still choose a 100% perfect Wrath or Cata over MOP, people don't generally choose private servers because they want everything being released on the public ones... They choose them for the period of WOW they liked best and the one that runs the smoothest.

Focusing Mangos on MOP also opens up more legal challenges from Blizzard as it directly competes with their current product line. Wrath is no longer publically available. Cataclysm is no longer publically available. People wanting to play Wrath all day doesn't cut into their profits, giving MOP players a viable alternative for the same thing does.

Prioritizing development should be a question left for actual devs to answer, not the general users. Asking everyone which branch they prefer can be misleading, due to the possibility of a large percentage of leechers that just want to play retail for free.

The easiest way to know which core will be more popular is to see just how many people are actually working on code for a particular core. Based on current developer activity, that would be MaNGOS-Zero, by far.

However, MaNGOS is supposed to be open for everyone. That means anyone can work on whatever core they like best. I have long said we should have a MoP branch so long as there are devs who will work on it.

A lot of those wanting MOP are simply wanting to to avoid paying for retail... but aside from that there are a lot of legal and technical problems with skipping Cata...

Phasing, vehicles, spells, items, pretty much everything broken still from Wrath and Cata are still going to be a huge part of MOP, a lot of the base data would be the same ....

Some of the problem could be devs working on one or two of the cores instead of a way to update them all at once - aka a standard db and script layout that would be compatible across them all - changes made to zero, one, wrath would carry over to Cata and MOP unless they got depricated... As is it seems like the project is too fractured and spread thin to finish any of the expansions within the next few years.

Its a huge project, but if there is a way to progress them all at once I think it would go a lot faster... And trying to focus it on stuff that is currently free to play seems shortsighted. Wrath was the period of time with the most active subscribers, Cata added some interesting updates like directx11 and better graphical optimizations, zero and one are probably when PVP and core gameplay was the most balanced... I just don't see what MOP brings to the table at this point.

I think part of the problem with Cata was too late. Nothing can be compared with retail anymore since its gone. As work progresses on MOP, it can be compared against retail easily.

As you've said, get things working/fix it for MOP and it can be backported to Cata and possibly the rest.

I think part of the problem with Cata was too late. Nothing can be compared with retail anymore since its gone. As work progresses on MOP, it can be compared against retail easily.

As you've said, get things working/fix it for MOP and it can be backported to Cata and possibly the rest.

If you understand nothing development, I will ask to keep silent.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived