[Wiki] Breaking News...

Guest wolverine79936_

Is there anyway to keep my client from accessing Blizzard's Breaking News system? Right now it looks like I am taking my server down for maintenance when in fact I am not. ;)

Kinda funny, but annoying at the same time. Anyone ever figure out how to disable the breaking news feature or redirect it or something along those lines?

there is a way to disable it (and actually with quite a bit of work replace it).

it requires adding an entry to your hosts file or blocking an address on the firewall. I can't remember the details as it was 2+ years ago

Add status.wow-europe.com to your hosts file and redirect it to whatever ip you want. For example to your server, so you can deliver your own breaking news to the clients. Or to localhost to disable the messages.

The above URL is for EU-Clients. I don't know the address of the breaking news for US-Clients or whether there is a difference between those two clients at all.

Alright! I figured it out.

First off, the whole concept is very simple, and I could be wrong, but I believe that

status.wow-europe.com 

is in fact for the eu systems. For american systems we seem to use

launcher.worldofwarcraft.com

. Remember, my info here could be wrong, I hope it is not and in fact "cross-version" information, not just WotLK. ;)

Either way, this is very simple. Most of us, I assume, use the wamp server. So, set it up for your database and your web. Then create a

alert

file in the www directory. Just alert, no file extensions. It's an extremely simple html file with no extension.

Next, we have to go to your hosts file, for windows users, google how to edit it, it's easy though. So's editing the linux hosts file. ;) We need to redirect

launcher.worldofwarcraft.com

to whatever the ip address of your game server/database/web server is. You should also redirect the launcher ip address, I was having trouble there. It's

That should do it. You should now have a nice new news brief when you go to log in to your private server. :) And if you don't want to show any news, just rename

alert

on the server to something like

alert2

. That way you can just move alert2 back to alert and modify it instead of recreating alert from scratch. ;)

Blizzard use for the news a simple html with the following output:

SERVERALERT:
<html><body>

Your Message.</p></body></html>

See also http://status.wow-europe.com/en/alert

You need to create the directory for your language in the root folder of your webserver, dependent from the list above. In this case it's en/. This directory contains a file named alert without an expansion with following content:

SERVERALERT:
Your Message.

The html tags are not needed, unlike blizzards example.

Note: While im writing this, wolverine79936 was faster and posted already his solution. I'm posting mine too.

Edit: Finally tested and altered the post to the correct solution. Thanks to wolverine79936 for the right hint with the alert as a file not as directory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use