a new colletive name for mangos

Unkle Nuke

Given WoW's rapid and steady decline in paying customers since Activision started running things and WoTLK began winding down, you'd have to be a moron to not have seen this coming from a mile away.

Honestly, I think they're alienating a lot of fans and wasting their time. The people who play for free on those public servers are not going to suddenly turn into retail players just because the lawyers shut things down. At least Blizzard was smart enough to only bother going after those greedy and stupid people who run servers for profit.

Of course, we must not forget that WoW is now property of Activision. Blizzard exists in name only now, so we're dealing with Activision's customer and public relations policies. In other words, you're a wallet with thumbs. Blizzard's somewhat okay attitude toward those of us on the fringes has been replaced by Activision's corporate attitude. For we who view WoW as something to be hacked and sharpen our coding skills upon, those benevolent days are over.

The legions of lawyers, who regard property and profit in absolute terms, are the ones calling the shots these days. I think we must be damned careful in how we present MaNGOS to the world because I believe it is a matter of time before those shysters attempt to make an example of the projects creating the software for the public servers they've busted.

Things got a little too complacent here. We had even set up our own public test server, for a little while. All of that must end and we have to return to our roots as a purely educational programming project. If we fail to do this, no matter how dull or draconian it may seem, we invite a disaster from which there is no simple recovery. It will make ryan's hacks and the Cmangos feud seem like fond nostalgia.

I hate to say it but the option for VPN isn't something the average Joe Schmuck is going to know how to do but on the otherhand they don't really understand how to secure their cores ether. What I do is not to advertise that I have a Privet Server and I dole out the accounts to my family and friends by using the console commands.

Now another way to limit liability is to update the GPL to state something like it's not allowed to run a this software for Commercial, or with any Monetary Gain without express Written Consent of the MaNGOS Foundation. Remember that the License you Grant for the use of the Source and all Compiled versions is controlled by you the MaNGOS Foundation and there's no and, if's or buts about it. If you word it correctly it stands in all Countries, Principalities and such covered the world over under the Digital Millennium Act. Also if there's a breach in it your Safe due to the fact that you Documented it but the Offending Parties can be held Liable even by you which also covers the recent BS with the Repo's.

Joy. :o

So what do we call ourselves then? Just getMaNGOS? Or do we have something else? Maybe this is something that should be opened to the community, try and get ourselves a really awesome sounding name going?

The MaNGOS Organization?

OOH! The EduMaNGOS Foundation, since we are suppose to be striving for education more than product...?

Start Simple...What did M.a.G.O.S. stand for in the beginning? Next, Why are we here?, What are the Goals of this Project? Are We going to only Develop a WoW Platform or should the Learning Curve include another Direction as well like Our Own MMOG Engine that beats out every one else's which in turn could be Licensed to make revenue stream for our Project to pay for Hosting and other Cost incurred over time.

There's a lot to think about on this subject and personally I would get the opinions of all that are going to be the Base and Leaders going into the Future.

A very good question, DaemonCantor. MaNGOS originally stood for Massive Network Game Object Server. Now, if we are to continue on the original path of the ManGOS Foundation, which from my understanding, was education, then perhaps we need to just rename everything from the forums to the program itself to eMaNGOS... Educational Massive Network Game Object Server.

If we have plans somewhere to go for our own specific MMOG system, then we should change the name entirely to something like the "Planet of the Apes foundation" or something. Sorry, watching the original five movies right now.

If we want to go for our won generalized MMOG system, then we could always keep MaNGOS. Maybe changing our community name to something like Massivly Multiplayer Online Gaming foundation, or something.

Archived