[SOLVED] [Three] Spells not working

bels

Question

I have deployed a CATA server with the latest code and a good client (I followed the guide in this forum for getting a clean client) and everything seemed to go fine. The problem I am having is the spells don't work (at least the ones you start a game with). Any errors I get in Server.log all pertain to item enchants, create auras, battlegrounds and scriptdev script names. Anyone have any idea why the spells are not working?

Thanks

15 answers to this question

Cata should be regarded as an early alpha release at best.

The Database is also quite immature.

Please feel free to report the various issues that you find in the Development section.

- If you are feeling adventurous, even attempt to fix some of the issues :P

If you would rather have a playable version, I would advise Mangos Two (Wotlk)

I am very willing to be adventurous and help fix things. I was actually standing up this cata server to help work on the database but right now without spells working I am at a loss. I eagerly await to hear if you have problems with your cata deployment. The only thing that is out of the norm with my install is I did it on FreeBSD but I wouldn't imagine the OS would cause this problem.

So looking into my problem of spells not working it looks like the problem may be with my spell.dbc file. I am guessing this because it looks like that is where the information is stored for how a spell should affect a mob and the animation information. Am I barking up the right tree here? Would anyone with a working cata server let me test out their spell.dbc on my server. If that file is the problem I would imagine the problem would go away once I drop in a good spell.dbc. I've tried extracting these from multiple clients and that is why I am asking to get the file from a working server just so I can test my theory out. Thanks.

I set up a cata server, and spells are working fine for me. As was stated earlier though it is quite an immature database with lots of things that need work, it is still usable to explore and work with.

I would post a working spells.dbc, but I am not sure of the legality of public posting of said files. Maybe you can PM me and I can send to you privately.

In the process of getting the good spell.dbc file now. Merlinium informed me that his working cata server code was pulled from June 10th which was earlier than I pulled code from. There were several commits after the 10th and some of them have spell related code changes done so maybe this is some form of a regression. I am glad to know that I am not the only person who has this problem though. I will definitely keep this thread up to date as I work on the problem.

well, remember that the database is a alpha, and still needs lots of work. I have not run into any spell problems that are not database related. The few problems I have seen were due to creature not set for spell to affect them, etc...

But that's not a dbc issue, at least as far as I can tell.

Another thing is to make sure you have a good version of wow 4.3.4 enUS (in my case I found issues with the enGB version that's been floating around, issues that caused extraction to fail or be incomplete, ie missing maps etc..)

as I sent bels a private message, I will repost some of it here: I used this to get a full client version of 4.3.4 which didnt try and update to a newer version which kept screwing me up with the data extraction.

https://github.com/valcriss/wowregeneration

So I used the Spell.dbc file from Merlinium and there was no change. Spells still do the cast animation and then nothing else. The Spell.dbc that I already had was the exact same size so I don't think this is a dbc thing. I think more than likely the reason the spells do not work for Nevyn and myself is the patches that came after June 10th.

Good news. I got the spells working. I did a checkout of the code from June 10th (51b97fe96e99f776492415bf0ffff1eaf752b348) and built off of that and spells now work. So I guess I'll be able to help build out the database but as far as getting the code working, that may be beyond my means.

Archived