[Discussion Topic] getMaNGOS Website now on HTTPS

madmax

Just to inform everyone we have now moved the ensite website over to https.

This will mean that all connections from today will now be encrypted between your computer and our server.

Feel free to reply to this post with any comments, I recently greatly improved the sites speed so pages should now be much faster.

First of all SSL is a great idea in order to safely access the website from public networks. But I think there are still some issues.

You said you've improved the site performance. But for me it's worse than before. The debug information at the bottom of the site states that the page creation time is around 4 seconds. Also Firebug reports a 4 second delay between site request and respond. It's not just temporary, because it's always 4 seconds at any time of day.

Second thing. If a user has set its skype name in his profile, a skype icon will appear in the user information next to his post. This icon is included external as http, which leads to a partial encrypted connection. Either skype provides the image with SSL or you have to host it yourself. Then of course you still need the information from skype whether the user is online or offline.

Hi,

The page generation at 4 seconds is really strange. I'll have a talk with Antz tomorrow and see how it is for him. For me its loading in 0.041 seconds at the moment.

I also noticed the Skype icon ID, sadly this is not something I can really fix as skype do not provide an SSL connection to the status image, so maybe we might switch it to a static one and remove the real-time checking that usually takes place.

Looks like its firefox/IE thats affected, chrome is working fine.

Sadly since im not a developer there is not a lot I can do about it. I disable the firewall for a moment and tested and its not that causing it, so something is happening somewhere that is causing the slowdown.

Post made on the SMF support forum to see if the developers there can suggest anything.

• 1 month later...

If you mean it could be a DNS issue on client site, then it should only occur on the first visit of the session, because afterwards the domain name is cached and shouldn't cause any delay anymore. But that is not the case. The delay of 4 seconds is on every page view.

I can imagine a script, that is executed before every page load and take so much time to finish. Or a function like gethostbyaddr, which cause a huge delay due to reverse DNS lookup.

But that does not explain why only some people have the loading issue.

The cleanup brought no salvation. The issue remain persist.

It started with the conversion to HTTPS. Either it's related to this change or some other differences happened aswell during the conversion. Nonetheless I've no clue where the problem lies.

Tried IE now. Same behaviour.

Archived