Greetings everyone,

I am a new guy around. I never looked at the MaNGOS source since recently. I am a computer science student, and I know good C/C++, python, BASH/unix. Apparently, I am interested in development although there's a problem I encountered. There's no documentation regarding the source. It's just pieces of code here and there -- I couldn't find some proper diagram/picture/document representing the whole structure, or something that would help me get into development quicker. I don't have time to review each and every line of code to understand the mindset of the project, so please, is there any paper I can look at? If not, I am willing to help in order to illustrate the code-structure and documentation.

Pleasure to meet you all :).

There is not a central repository of a map of the core, sadly documentation was something that was overlooked for years

For the last year, I have been pushing major updates to the wiki information and several devs have helped out

- There was also an effort to add doxygen comments to the code, but I don't know the current status of that :(

I am happy to try and guide you around as best I can.

Hi, niemal :D

Welcome to our merry band :D

The Tracker area would be a good place for you to visit. Accessed via the menubar at the top of the page, next to FORUM. It's split into sections, each representing the issues currently faced/found for each core version (Zero (Vanilla), One (TBC), Two (WOTLK), etc), then divided again into Server, Database, and Scripts.

Server is C++ (I think Eluna too)

Database (MySql)

Scripts (Eluna and ScriptDev2)

Eluna is basically LUA

ScriptDev2 is basically C++

Scripts are for creating things, events (additions to quests, combat) etc. that happen in the game world.

You could pick a core to focus on, as I did at the start. I buried myself in Zero (Vanilla), but now wandering all over the place.

Basically it's up to you what you do and how you do it, matey. Go forth and make merry, and fix things on the way :D

Archived