Absolute beginner questions-need direction please

astronutski

Question

Hello, mature beginner here, old school RPG programmer, but not the OO stuff required nowadays. Anyway, I recently installed and am running another WotLK repack, and all is well there. Now my son wants vanilla, and I don't blame him. What a wonderful time that was. We want to see/experience the opening of AQ gates!!!! This is the time we began playing and totally missed out on it as we were but noobs back then.

So, questions are:

1) I'm confused where to begin, Rel21, or (more stable?) Rel20? I don't need to be on cutting edge, if it were up to me, I would prefer the most stable version, at least initially.

2) Dumb question here, but under your windows installation guide for zero you mention win server 2008 OS, can I just use Win 7 x64 Pro?

3) I have been using HeidiSQL with the other repack, and like it, can I use this in place of MySQL and SQLYog (likely another dumb question)?

4) my plan is to have both this vanilla version and the LK version on same computer (it's a powerhouse) by installing to different directories, is this kosher?

I'm sure there will be more questions, but with any luck this should at least get me going. At this point I don't care about opening it up, just running locally on my computer will be fine, I can cross that bridge once things have been stabilized.

Thank you very, very much!

7 answers to this question

1) You should use Rel21, even though it is still indev, it is a vast improvement over Rel20. Follow this temporary guide to compile and install it correctly: https://www.getmangos.eu/general-help-amp-support/10591-rel21-temporary-compile-guide.html

2) Yes, any newer OS is supported (Above and including Windows 7 and Server 2008)

3) HeidiSQL is simply your GUI to connect to your MySQL database. MySQL will have to be installed on your "server", and you use HeidiSQL to connect to said server.

4) Yes, you can have both Classic and WoTLK on the same rig. They now also use the same realm daemon, so you can run both realms from the same realmd.

Hello!

1) I'm confused where to begin, Rel21, or (more stable?) Rel20? I don't need to be on cutting edge, if it were up to me, I would prefer the most stable version, at least initially.

I suppose the latest version is much better, at least due to the possibility to get hints and help. No one of the devs stays at Rel20, and any one will be unwilling to downgrade. The most Rel21 drawback is a bit complicated installation, sometimes inconsistent with the available manuals. The Rel21 is more stable too.

As to the opening AQ gates, I'm unsure that the content is implemented actually. You may be disappointed by the amount of existing content. In this aspect, the TC (whose repack you no doubts have installed) is far better. However, scripting a simple enough task.

2) Dumb question here, but under your windows installation guide for zero you mention win server 2008 OS, can I just use Win 7 x64 Pro?

No problem found under a wide range of Win OSes, ranged from XP up to Server 2012, as long as you get the required component builds (OpenSSL and MySQL) and setup compiler. I run it under Win7 x64 Ultim. Nevertheless, I use 32-bit components (both 32- and 64-bit versions may not be installed at the same time) and 32-bit server build. I have been told that x64 build is also OK.

3) I have been using HeidiSQL with the other repack, and like it, can I use this in place of MySQL and SQLYog (likely another dumb question)?

I suspect that 99% of the TC repacks requires MySQL server, so you already have it installed. IIRC Heidi is just a mysql client. SQLyog is also a client (more elaborated and rather professional), so you're free to use any one. AFAIK, cases of fatal incompatibility of SQL files between the clients are very rare. The original mysql.exe would probably the best client ;) as long as you aren't intended to edit the DB manually.

4) my plan is to have both this vanilla version and the LK version on same computer (it's a powerhouse) by installing to different directories, is this kosher?

I have around 5 server installations. Be sure you use different DB names of all 3 DBs for different projects, that's all. The set of Mangos[Zero,One] is designed to share a single `realmd` DB, but `characters` and `mangos` must be different.

Have fun! :)

1) You should use Rel21, even though it is still indev, it is a vast improvement over Rel20. Follow this temporary guide to compile and install it correctly: https://www.getmangos.eu/general-help-amp-support/10591-rel21-temporary-compile-guide.html

2) Yes, any newer OS is supported (Above and including Windows 7 and Server 2008)

3) HeidiSQL is simply your GUI to connect to your MySQL database. MySQL will have to be installed on your "server", and you use HeidiSQL to connect to said server.

4) Yes, you can have both Classic and WoTLK on the same rig. They now also use the same realm daemon, so you can run both realms from the same realmd.

Thank you very much!

Hello!

I suppose the latest version is much better, at least due to the possibility to get hints and help. No one of the devs stays at Rel20, and any one will be unwilling to downgrade. The most Rel21 drawback is a bit complicated installation, sometimes inconsistent with the available manuals. The Rel21 is more stable too.

As to the opening AQ gates, I'm unsure that the content is implemented actually. You may be disappointed by the amount of existing content. In this aspect, the TC (whose repack you no doubts have installed) is far better. However, scripting a simple enough task.

No problem found under a wide range of Win OSes, ranged from XP up to Server 2012, as long as you get the required component builds (OpenSSL and MySQL) and setup compiler. I run it under Win7 x64 Ultim. Nevertheless, I use 32-bit components (both 32- and 64-bit versions may not be installed at the same time) and 32-bit server build. I have been told that x64 build is also OK.

I suspect that 99% of the TC repacks requires MySQL server, so you already have it installed. IIRC Heidi is just a mysql client. SQLyog is also a client (more elaborated and rather professional), so you're free to use any one. AFAIK, cases of fatal incompatibility of SQL files between the clients are very rare. The original mysql.exe would probably the best client ;) as long as you aren't intended to edit the DB manually.

I have around 5 server installations. Be sure you use different DB names of all 3 DBs for different projects, that's all. The set of Mangos[Zero,One] is designed to share a single `realmd` DB, but `characters` and `mangos` must be different.

Have fun! :)

I plan to have fun, thank you very much for your help! I understand what you're saying. I would love to learn how to do this scripting stuff and maybe could help out in some small way eventually. I mean, programming is programming right? I've made several (weak) attempts at learning OO languages but never had a purpose, this just may be the incentive I need. :^)

Bummer, AQ gates, well, maybe I'll work on that LOL!

Quick question when installing MySQL, do I want Development Machine or Server Machine?

I see the hit on memory, but not sure if dev option will be enough to run mangos/wow-vanilla, possibly (eventually) opening up to other users to play as well.

Is Development machine with it's minimal memory hit "good enough"?

This is my primary PC, it's a strong beast, but not a "server" per se. I use it for everything.

Awesome, thank you Madmax!

Archived