Can't import MySQL Database [Access denied] [Ubuntu 14.04]

Shiva

Question

Hey folks!

For nearly 2 days straight I'm only trying to get this WoW Server running, I can't believe I get stuck at ever step. :(

My Problem is #6 of this Tutorial

mysql -u root -p realmd < /home/mangos/database/Realm/Setup/realmdCreateDB.sql

mysql -u root -p realmd < /home/mangos/database/Realm/Setup/realmdLoadDB.sql

mysql -u root -p realmd < /home/mangos/database/Tools/updateRealm.sql

mysql -u root -p characters < /home/mangos/database/Character/Setup/characterCreateDB.sql

mysql -u root -p characters < /home/mangos/database/Character/Setup/characterLoadDB.sql

mysql -u root -p mangos < /home/mangos/database/World/Setup/mangosdCreateDB.sql

mysql -u root -p mangos < /home/mangos/database/World/Setup/mangosdLoadDB.sql

Whenever I execute any of those commands I end up with this:

root@h2586802:~# mysql -u root -p < /home/mangos/database/Realm/Setup/realmdCreateDB.sql

Enter password:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

root@h2586802:~#

I've already resetted my password via "sudo dpkg-reconfigure mysql-server-5.5" (yes 5.5 is my version) - But still I receive this bug. :confused:

I hope you can help me further, thanks in advance! :)

P.S.

What guide is correct?

This one tells me to place mmap, map, vmap & dbc into home/mangos/data (which I don't even have)

This one tell me to place mmap, map, vmap & dbc into home/mangos/server

2 answers to this question

For a start, check if you can connect to the mysql server at all:

mysql -u root -p

When you enter the password, you must get a different command prompt (not from you shell, but from mysql; IIRC it is "mysql>"). In addition, you could try at that prompt

show databases;

that must give you at least 2-3 DB names. Leave this command prompt by "quit".

Just to be sure, I underline: the MySQL root user has nothing in common with the system superuser "root", except similar account name.

On the data placing. You may place it anywhere you want, as long as the path to the data containing folder is defined in the mangosd.conf like:

DataDir                      = "/home/user/Zero"

If this path is relative (not beginning with slash), IIRC it will be based on the install binary dir. If, for example, you've set up CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to /home/user/Zero, then the DataDir value set to "data" means the data dirs are placed under /home/user/Zero/bin/data.

For a start, check if you can connect to the mysql server at all:

mysql -u root -p

He asks me for a password but he doesn't accept it.

I swear I changed it yesterday with some wird command.

Other tutorials like This one don't work for me, when I want to update my Password he can't find a place where to put it, I don't own a user table.. :/

I don't know how I could possibly reset the password, but by using the above procedere atleast I get to the mysql> cli

When I try to run those mysql import commands then, I simply get

mysql> /home/mangos/database/Realm/Setup/realmdCreateDB.sql
   ->

When you enter the password, you must get a different command prompt (not from you shell, but from mysql; IIRC it is "mysql>"). In addition, you could try at that prompt

show databases;

that must give you at least 2-3 DB names. Leave this command prompt by "quit".

When I use he above tutorial which is actually intended to change my mysql password but atleast gets me to the mysql cli, I can get this DB to show up. It seems like I somehow managed to import the first table? I'm not sure and how sure how. :confused:

mysql> show databases;
+-------------------------+
| Database                |
| information_schema      |
| mysql                   |
| performance_schema      |
| realmd                  |
9 rows in set (0.00 sec)

On the data placing. You may place it anywhere you want, as long as the path to the data containing folder is defined in the mangosd.conf like:

DataDir                      = "/home/user/Zero"

If this path is relative (not beginning with slash), IIRC it will be based on the install binary dir. If, for example, you've set up CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to /home/user/Zero, then the DataDir value set to "data" means the data dirs are placed under /home/user/Zero/bin/data.

I just hope it got created right, otherwise that will be the next step after he mysql problem :D

Archived