Just discovered the vanilla wow community

HoggerRaider

Hi Guys,

I am absolutely delighted to have just discovered this community.

I was a hardcore raider in vanilla wow so many years ago, and I loved the challenge of vanilla wow and early BC content. WoW started going downhill for me right about the time they started nerfing content right at the end of BC. Each year it keeps getting more and more watered down, to the point that there is no real challenge or thrill for accomplishing something challenging. Classic WoW delivered on that in an amazing way, as anyone who was on team speak the first time their guild killed Rag can attest. 

Anyway, I have been coding for over thirty years (I started really young), and I have experience in c#, vb, c/c++, MS-SQL and a half dozen other languages. I hope I can help out somehow.

Hi there,

Welcome to the site. I also liked the old WoW days, I prefer Wrath myself.

We are very much in need of help (see our tracker), if you are really interested, drop me a PM with your Skype ID and I can put you in touch with Antz our lead developer. We do have discord if you prefer but that is rather quiet. A few hang out in teamspeak, but that is mainly for downtime playing Ark.

Cool, I will ping you guys via voice chat in a day or two. I need to get everything set up and configured so I have a dev platform that compiles and all. I am impressed with the code base so far, it seems pretty clean and organized. I look forward to digging in to this, I have been telling friends for the last decade that this sort of thing would be AWESOME.

One thing I am a little confused about, is some of the groups involved in private server dev efforts. I just discovered the community, and I was doing some reading about it. Is the Mangos project connected with Nostralia/Nostalrius, Elysium, or is it a combination of efforts?  Are these groups just running forks of the code on their private servers with a few custom tweaks?

Sadly the community has split several times in the last 10 years.

There are some public servers which in the spirit of openness and fairness pass back their fixes to MaNGOS,

... and then there are the likes of Nostralia/Nostalrius & Elysium who's ego's will not allow anyone else to use their fixes, despite them taking the codebase from mangos in the first place.

Karma will see to them in the end, in the meantime we continue to constantly improve MaNGOS for all to use.

17 hours ago, HoggerRaider said:

One thing I am a little confused about, is some of the groups involved in private server dev efforts. I just discovered the community, and I was doing some reading about it. Is the Mangos project connected with Nostralia/Nostalrius, Elysium, or is it a combination of efforts?  Are these groups just running forks of the code on their private servers with a few custom tweaks?

As antz said, some of these return fixes and enhancements they make back up to us, some don't and in a few cases not even open to discussion.

In the last Three years since I took over the 'Custodian/Guardianship' of MaNGOS - I have worked very hard to make it as open and friendly as possible.

We have also produced a significant amount of additional documentation as assist people in the learning process (See the Wiki). :P

Archived