[patch][8735] Intel Memory Allocator

Auntie Mangos

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 39 years later...

Hi, boyz and girlz :) Today I want to preset another performance optimization patch. I want to thank freghar for his huge help with changes for *nix systems :) We will use an opensource version of Intel Threading Building Blocks library, version 2.2 :rolleyes:

We need custom memory management, especially on Windows systems, since OS specific ones sometimes:

1) have low performance;

2) doesn't scale in multi-threaded environments.

For example, why Windows server performance can be sooo bad? Because Windows Server 2003 has ~2.5 mln memory ops/sec and Windows Server 2008 ~9.5 mln ops/sec. This is no match to Intel Memory Allocator with performance about 31(!) mln ops/sec. Each user on MaNGOS each second spawns 2500 memory ops so you can guess the maximum online on Windows Server 2003 :D

Performance gains can differ greately through platforms used: experience from minimum +10% of performance gains on some FreeBSD platforms to +30% on Windows ones.

P.S. You should copy into your MaNGOS server binary directories 2 dlls: tbb(_debug).dll and tbbmalloc(_debug).dll under Windoz. Under *nix just copy tbb.so and tbbmalloc.so

Repo on github: http://github.com/Ambal/mangos

Branch for 3.1.3 server: master

Branch for 3.2.2 server: rebase_branch

1>Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler (x64) Version 9.00.30729.01
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>generating tbb.def file
1>win64-tbb-export.def
1>Compiling...
1>cl : Command line warning D9025 : overriding '/W3' with '/W4'
1>cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'Wp64' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
1>tbb_thread.cpp
4>inftrees.c

6>Exception.cpp
1>concurrent_hash_map.cpp
1>cache_aligned_allocator.cpp
6>Creating library...
1>Compiling...
1>cl : Command line warning D9025 : overriding '/W3' with '/W4'
1>cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'Wp64' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release
1>itt_notify_proxy.c

7>MemoryAllocator.cpp
2>SV_Message_Queue.cpp
2>SV_Message.cpp
2>SUN_Proactor.cpp
7>..\\..\\dep\\tbb\\src\\tbbmalloc\\MemoryAllocator.cpp(1322) : warning C4018: '>' : signed/unsigned mismatch
7>..\\..\\dep\\tbb\\src\\tbbmalloc\\MemoryAllocator.cpp(1325) : warning C4018: '>' : signed/unsigned mismatch
7>..\\..\\dep\\tbb\\src\\tbbmalloc\\MemoryAllocator.cpp(1328) : warning C4018: '>' : signed/unsigned mismatch
7>dynamic_link.cpp
2>String_Base_Const.cpp

2>SOCK_Dgram_Bcast.cpp
8>..\\..\\src\\framework\\Policies\\MemoryManagement.cpp(25) : warning C4290: C++ exception specification ignored except to indicate a function is not __declspec(nothrow)
8>..\\..\\src\\framework\\Policies\\MemoryManagement.cpp(32) : warning C4290: C++ exception specification ignored except to indicate a function is not __declspec(nothrow)
2>SOCK_Dgram.cpp
2>SOCK_Connector.cpp

Compiler: VC++ 2008 64bit

Ambal, my good friend, you know i'm so bad with github.. i cant find the patch.. :'( can you post in a simple .patch please please please xD

git remote add ambal git://github.com/Ambal/mangos.git # add ambal's repo to the remotes
git checkout ambal/master # checkout ambal's master branch
git diff HEAD 633fb8b109a13b5e9f7e932c9a101fec5af21e20 > ambal.diff # create a diff to the last mangos commit in ambal's repository (check this hash again, maybe he merged again after i wrote that)
git checkout master # and we're back on our master branch, but now we have the file ambal.diff 

(as a note for those who don't know it: everything after '#' is a comment, you don't need to type that into your console ;))

this code *should* work, but it is not tested (sorry, no git here)

however, i'd suggest you to simply merge his branch into yours.

git remote add ambal git://github.com/Ambal/mangos.git # add ambal's repo to the remotes
git checkout ambal/master # checkout ambal's master branch
git diff HEAD 633fb8b109a13b5e9f7e932c9a101fec5af21e20 > ambal.diff # create a diff to the last mangos commit in ambal's repository (check this hash again, maybe he merged again after i wrote that)
git checkout master # and we're back on our master branch, but now we have the file ambal.diff 

(as a note for those who don't know it: everything after '#' is a comment, you don't need to type that into your console ;))

this code *should* work, but it is not tested (sorry, no git here)

however, i'd suggest you to simply merge his branch into yours.

thank you very much, but dont work :'(

Boost is huge lib plus it contains only STL-containers memory allocator as far as I know. So no chance for it, sry :huh:

ok i will investigate by test implementation if there are any performance improvements and send you pm if necessary

@thyros you can create patchfile by yourself with git diff ...but i do not think this is 100% trinity compatible ;)

if you want to leak this patch you should be able to do this yourself.... tsts :huh: :D