[10167] vmap rewrite

Auntie Mangos

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, on my server, for example with a rogue, I attack a NPC and I get the error "You can't see the enemy", but obviusly I can, there's nothing between me and the creature. Could someone confirm? May be a bug extracting the vmaps?

That bug is in the core, I believe. On my server, MaNGOS revision 9135, it is not uncommon to encounter the "Target is not in line of sight" warning despite the target being plainly visible. This is especially true when attacking a creature that is at a higher elevation than your character, such as at the top of a ramp or on a hill.

ok got this to work with the 0.12 branch :D but the vmap assembler keeps crashing and i can't find out why so i used my 3.3.3a vmaps lol well i started mangos and indoor, outdoor detection works! Area detection works :) And the other good things about vmaps work :)

I don't see why 3.3.3a vmap data wouldn't work with 2.4.3. The terrain is the same, except you'll have vmaps for Northrend that are unused. You might even be able to delete those files, depending on if the Northrend vmaps are needed by the vmap core code.

ya everything seems to be working right oh you have to use the WMOAreaTable from 3.3.3a because the 2.4.3 table was making ironforge, parts of stormwind, and undercity all indoors but thats fixed if you use the 3.3.3a one

now if i can get outdoor pvp and mmaps redux to work this thing will be great!

Mkay, using WotLK vmaps for 0.12...well, if you don't mind an invisible Stormwind Harbour and a few zeppelin towers around the world... xD

Anyway, yes the M2 format changed with 3.x so extractor will not work without proper backporting.

I was using the 2.x extractor patched with your code it extracted everything the assembler for 2.x patched with your code was crashing idk but you know way more about vmaps than me :D would be great if you could make a new branch called vmap_rewrite_0.12 and fix the extactor and the assembler the right way if you have the time :)

oh i went over where Stormwind Harbour should be but it did not mess anything up ingame other than maybe LoS lol would be nice to get the real data 2.4.3 vmaps so it takes less hard disk space and does not load maps that are not there :)

I don't see why 3.3.3a vmap data wouldn't work with 2.4.3. The terrain is the same, except you'll have vmaps for Northrend that are unused. You might even be able to delete those files, depending on if the Northrend vmaps are needed by the vmap core code.

its not the same, some places changed, like that small mountains outside orgrimmar

Run Instructions:

* copy contents of contrib/vmap_extract_assembler_bin to WoW directory

* run makevmaps_SIMPLE.bat

* copy vmaps directory from WoW directory to mangos directory

contrib/vmap_extract_assembler_bin: No such file or folder in your repository

run makevmaps_SIMPLE.bat: That file doesn't exist in your repository

Even if I use the simple.bat from my mangos folder and run, all seems well, but when I start mangosd.exe I get this:-

VMap file './vmaps/000_43_31.vmdir' is missing or point to wrong version vmap file, redo vmaps with latest vmap_assembler.exe program

Correct *.map files not found in path './maps' or *.vmap/*vmdir files in './vmaps'. Please place *.map/*.vmap/*.vmdir files in appropriate directories or correct the DataDir value in the mangosd.conf file.

All this just to be able to fish in dalaran and orgrimmar..lol Ah well. I can wait :)

@EARTHWALKER

Sorry, those directions are from an old build.

On Windows, you need to do this:

1. * build contrib/vmap_extractor_v2 in Release configuration
    * copy contrib/vmap_extractor_v2/bin/Win32_Release/vmapExtractor3.exe into your wow client directory
    * build contrib/vmap_assembler in Release configuration
    * copy contrib/vmap_assembler/bin/Win32_Release/vmap_assembler.exe into your wow client directory
    * make sure there is a vmaps folder in your wow client directory
    * open command prompt, cd to wow client directory
    * run vmapExtractor3.exe
    * run vmap_assembler.exe Buildings vmaps
    * delete the Buildings directory from your wow client directory
    * delete the old vmaps from your mangos data directory
    * copy the vmaps directory into your mangos data directory
    * recompile mangos core
    * update mangos.conf

Thanks dude. Nothing like a good headache to get the juices flowing again :P

Followed your instructions and everything compiled without error. extract and compile went fine.

Ran server and got this :-

VMap file './vmaps/000_43_31.vmdir' is missing or point to wrong version vmap fi
le, redo vmaps with latest vmap_assembler.exe program
Correct *.map files not found in path './maps' or *.vmap/*vmdir files in './vmap
s'. Please place *.map/*.vmap/*.vmdir files in appropriate directories or correc
t the DataDir value in the mangosd.conf file.

That file '000_43_31.vmdir' is most definitely missing. In fact there are no vmdir files at all. Confused :D

There's only three reasons I can think of that might be holding this from being accepted.

1. Needs more testing and bug fixes.

2. Missing features that haven't yet been implemented.

3. Core changes that will require a rewrite but the patch author must wait until such changes are final/stable.

I really feel for the guy when everyone complains why this or that isn't already in the core.

That right there is why I think a lot of devs just get up a leave a project. If someone wants something, learn to do it yourself or just be patient. I wouldn't blame Vlad, Tom, or any of the devs for stopping--why spend their free time on a project if they just hear complaints.

I would have to admit, however, that it would be nice to know what kind of roadmap there is of what they are wanting fixed in the existing code. I've seen some mention of a few things, but can't remember them completely.

Sorry for the off topic posts Lynx, but it seemed the perfect opportunity.

Could you guys and gals do me a favour and test this branch?

(it's not really different from vmap_rewrite, just rebased)

http://github.com/Lynx3d/mangos/commits/vmap_final

You'll need to do the whole works, compile core+tools, extract&assemble vmaps, [update config], run core (at least a bit), pretty much like on a client switch (yea, again already, great timing, huh? :D)

Report anything unusual you encounter, from things you didn't understand from commit log and the pointed READMEs, errors, ugly log output, regressions...

If you feel too lazy now, don't worry, i think i can guarantee that you will do the full thing anyway, just with less opportunities to ask smart questions then :P