Git mirrored to SourceForge SVN

hmm oke

git-apply impconfig_git.patch

gives me : cant open patch impconfig_git.patch .no such file or directory but i have downloaded source and i have added that patch to source folder

git apply impconfig_git.patch

cant open patch impconfig_git.patch .no such file or directory but i have downloaded source

im dumb i know but whats im doing wrong?

Put it in the mangos repository.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm oke

git-apply impconfig_git.patch

gives me : cant open patch impconfig_git.patch .no such file or directory but i have downloaded source and i have added that patch to source folder

git apply impconfig_git.patch

cant open patch impconfig_git.patch .no such file or directory but i have downloaded source

im dumb i know but whats im doing wrong?

Google out some articles about shell usage ("console") .. listing a directory, moving around, etc.

If you search the forum you will find that in order to use a patch that was formated for svn IS IN FACT usable in git however minor modifications have to be made. Read throught the quick and dirty git guide thread and you will see that vladimir posted these modifications.

In fact, they're mostly usable without modifications. Read git-apply's manpage for "-p" option .. or use GNU patch utility ... :)

to switch to git was the badest idea ever which was ever realized on mangos! :mad: all people who were coding patches / fixes on win are out of the game now! :eek: the developement of mangos is now much more slowly because many fixes will never be written! 90-95% of all fixes / patches were written on win-systems! switch mangos back to svn or start a mirror which is much more up to date as only one time a day or mangos will die!
In fact one of the main reasons for this was to make things easier for the patch contributors on all OSs ..

lol git isint that hard i have noticed..lol

oke i have one little prob

git apply mana-hpregen.patch

fatal:Patch fragment without header at line 5 @@ -4335.7 +4335.12 @@

anyone know whats up with that?

Index: src/game/Player.cpp
===================================================================
---a/src/game/Player.cpp (revision 6555)
+++b/src/game/Player.cpp (working copy)
@@ -4335,7 +4335,12 @@
float baseSpirit = spirit;
if (baseSpirit>50) baseSpirit = 50;
float moreSpirit = spirit - baseSpirit;
- float regen = baseSpirit * baseRatio->ratio + moreSpirit * moreRatio->ratio;
+ float regen = 0.0f;
+ if (level > 70 ) {
+ regen = baseSpirit * baseRatio->ratio + moreSpirit * GetStat(STAT_STAMINA) * (level+2) * .0000005 ;
+ }else{
+ regen = baseSpirit * baseRatio->ratio + moreSpirit * moreRatio->ratio;
+ }
return regen;
}

@@ -4353,7 +4358,12 @@

// Formula get from PaperDollFrame script
float spirit = GetStat(STAT_SPIRIT);
- float regen = spirit * moreRatio->ratio;
+ float regen = 0.0f;
+ if (level > 70 ) { //fix for mana issue
+ regen = spirit * GetStat(STAT_INTELLECT) * (level+2) * .0000005 ;
+ } else {
+ regen = spirit * moreRatio->ratio;
+ }
return regen;
}

First I tought GIT will complicate things for me, then I downloaded GIT, installed it and followed the instructions posted on MaNGOS forums. I was back in 10 minutes. So... it's not hard at all. It's just good old command line :)

took me to days to do mine... I think its easy. but im thinknig its hard. just making it hard on my self...

But i wonder how i would go back to a earlyer date...

Not sure. And best for waiting part of community attempt understand work with git instead waiting... ;)

when i type git clone and the adress i'm waiting like 2 hours and its still "downloading".

I think there's nothing i can do till this part is solved...

and as you see there are almost no people that are saying GIT a good thing...

I haven't had any problems with git speed. I did notice the "clone" to the svn is a joke. rev 6767 is the latest rev there, and has been that way for days. Just an idea, maybe post the current rev, kept up-to-date somewhere on this site maybe in the title. like

MaNGOS the open source MMORPG server rev. 6767

just an idea. I compile on linux, and it has always been easy. I prefer the command line patching compared to tortoise svn patching, which never seems to work right for me. I run a wotlk beta server on windows, and I grab the files, and do all the patching on linux, then compile in vs2005. I don't see anything wrong with git, except the lack of revision number. if that can be solved, git is the way to go.

once i figured out GIT.. it was decently simple and easy to use "thanks to guides on this forum" and as for the speed i dont got this issue perhaps its something to do at your end.. firewalls tend to interfear with download rates from serton servers and so on.

also i do see that git only ahs 6767 im guessing there has been no other release as of yet because of the hole changing over?

I asked 10 people, all of them said the old SVN is much better.

and I'm using the adress you gave, I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, My friend is using XP Professional Edition, I used to "update" and it pulled only 8 files, 6 from game, and 2 from mangosd.

I never sucess downloading stuff, all my custom patches needs to be rewrite now, everything is going wrong.

The only reason i'm not moving to trinity is because mangos is a quality, trinity is just a "copy" of mangos with more crashes.

Maybe its because i'm a newbie with GIT, one thing is true, the master let you commit lines and such, which is a good thing.

Well someone should have taken lessons in project planning/management but now it's too late, jabbering about GIT being bad is pointless 'cos developers have made their decision, and as we can see they are not willing to change it.

The point is that we have to get used to it, it's much worse for win users 'cos it's lacking gui and integration comfort, and there are some known issues but that's pointless. GIT as is, has different idea of team development, GIT works as (semi)distributed repository vs. central repository in SVN so the linear version numbering etc. can't be applied in GIT.

Although this could have been avoided by consulting and announcing this step to the whole community in advance, leavin' us to solve issues with things like patches etc., with enogh time before this step, or isn't mangos community developed anymore? Now we can only hope that there is someone in the community that will make guides and help community overcome these initial issues, that could have been avoided ;)

SVN is 200 % better, GIT is not good ( no user friedly ) *g*
For people who just want to download mangos and run it, there's not that big a difference. Sure TortoiseSVN looks better but you do have a Git GUI with explorer integration in msysgit too that works just fine and with a couple of clicks you can clone the repository fetch new changes and checkout one of the branches. Applying patches is a bit harder but you don't have to rewrite anything, the easiest way is to copy the patch just outside the repo and then you can do git apply ../patch-name and you're done.. For more advanced usage the learning curve is much steeper, but once you've understood it you'll never forget it.

The only thing why git sucks is there are no revision numbers.
You can do exactly the same thing with datetime+hash as you did with revisions. It's a bit harder to remember and use but there is no ambiguity. For example, someone tells you that a certain bug was fixed in a commit at date X, without giving you a hash, so you'd want to update to that. Here's one way to do with just the GUI:

- open the git gui and in the last menu select fetch -> origin .. this is only needed to make sure that you have downloaded all the latest stuff before proceeding, will not change any of your files

- in the first menu click "view history of ..", this will open gitk

- on the right you see the datetime of all the commits, scroll down and quickly find one that matches .. although rev number might be easier, this is still like a dictionary search, humans are fairly good at it ..

- the SHA of the commit will appear on the left, select that and copy it

- close gitk and in the gui -> branch menu -> checkout -> revision -> paste the sha -> ok

(note: all of the above can be done in 3 lines in console with git fetch origin master, git log date..date to get the SHA then git checkout $SHA)

Or someone tells you that you need a revision newer than a certain date and you just want to find out if you have that .. just look at the motd in the client and you will see the date and hash of what you are using. Do the same when you want to report bugs to let people know what commit you are using.