Git mirrored to SourceForge SVN

Listen.

So far as you see, almost _NOBODY_ agree with you that GIT is better [and be seriously now, the whole topic is full of people who complaining on the GIT way].

I'm not talking about patching, which would be MUCH harder now [because most of the patches have to be rewritten].

I'm not talking about the updating, which is a nightmare for Windows users [and I'm sorry, but 75% of the community are Windows users].

I'm not talking about the new revision [Which is idiotic, using dates? its so pathetic].

I'm talking about the whole project that was _AWESOME_.

It helped me to learn over 7 programming languages, I know C++ more than my teachers and more than my friends, It helped me a lot.

but now? I'm still using _Revision_ [yes, the old SVN Revision] 6749, as the core gets unstable and unstable.

You don't get into the core most of the patches, Arena patch for example, every new mangos user is using it, People held their core for 6 days including SD2, with averge of 150 players [e.g is the UDB Moderator, Sepiroth or however he spells his name].

Same for more and for more people.

"We are not creating an anti cheat because we does not support public server".

but as you said, you want to help people to get with larger projects, and let's say one of the people here will develope some MMORPGS, no anti cheater, so what if you don't support public server? its still _USEFUL_ for people who wants to learn C++.

but there was something you had to apply, that's the Netcode with ACE! yes, it works, WITH LINUX ONLY!

and you know that most of the people here [some devs even] are using Windows.

So Arena patch is unstable but this is stable? LOL?

The project was great, if blizzard won't kill it, the devs will do that.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far as you see, almost _NOBODY_ agree with you that GIT is better [and be seriously now, the whole topic is full of people who complaining on the GIT way].
I have read a lot of replies and I've seen very few intelligent comments on things that are really bad in git. The vast majority of the issues do have good solutions. It's just that it takes time until everyone gets to know these solutions, so you get a lot of noobs thinking they don't exist. Once you get used to it, it has some features which are a lot better than SVN, even on Windows. I'm using Windows for example, as well as the majority of the dev team, and I was as shocked about this change as anyone else, but I found a lot of cool stuff in it that make up for most of the annoyances. The dates aren't as convenient as revision numbers I agree but they work with identifying and comparing commits and you saying they are pathetic is just you being too stubborn to try using them.
I'm not talking about patching, which would be MUCH harder now [because most of the patches have to be rewritten].
Do they ? From what I've heard old SVN patches apply just fine if you make sure your paths are right.
I'm not talking about the updating, which is a nightmare for Windows users [and I'm sorry, but 75% of the community are Windows users].
It takes about 15 clicks in total to update to the latest commit using the GIT GUI. Even less clicks if you want to update to a specific commit by SHA, though more clicks if you want to search a SHA by date first. Point is .. you can do with just clicking and copy paste if you don't know how to do anything else.
6749, as the core gets unstable and unstable.
There were some issues that were fixed recently, and if you see new ones feel free to report them and they will get fixed. We currently rely on your feedback to fix the problems. If you don't test it then we can test all want with one player in the server, there is no way for us to know that something is wrong with it. We are working on changing that, but it will take time.
You don't get into the core most of the patches, Arena patch for example, every new mangos user is using it, People held their core for 6 days including SD2, with averge of 150 players
As I've written a million times, and people who have experience in large projects agree with me, if you do not review the changes and just commit them without knowing the code, you will hurt yourself more in the end. Everyone knows the patch is stable, but you need much more than that to have something integrated well.
I don't believe anyone officially said that, or if he has it's not something that is agreed upon by the whole team (there are lots of things like that, we are all different people and can disagree sometimes). There are several anticheat measures in place already in the core. I believe the real issue of why the changes haven't gotten in is because some of these changes are very hacky or too slow or something, don't know actually.
but there was something you had to apply, that's the Netcode with ACE! yes, it works, WITH LINUX ONLY!
It was tested for a long time by a lot of people on all platforms, nobody reported any problems with it, shame on you for not testing and reporting the problems sooner so they could have been fixed before it being committed. It was considered stable but that's not why it was added but because we have a developer in the team who knows how to work on it and fix bugs if necessary. That can not be said about the arena patch, very few of us know how battleground stuff works. If something gets broken later we cannot fix it without reviewing it, so it's better to add it only after it's reviewed.

There have been very few real reports of problems with ACE (I mean other than complaints and whining). The one with disconnecting was solved by Derex and committed later on.

For people who just want to download mangos and run it, there's not that big a difference. Sure TortoiseSVN looks better but you do have a Git GUI with explorer integration in msysgit too that works just fine and with a couple of clicks you can clone the repository fetch new changes and checkout one of the branches. Applying patches is a bit harder but you don't have to rewrite anything, the easiest way is to copy the patch just outside the repo and then you can do git apply ../patch-name and you're done.. For more advanced usage the learning curve is much steeper, but once you've understood it you'll never forget it.

rofl u wanna get a GUI, yes svn can do it too ( http://tortoisesvn.net/ )

very easy to make patch etc.

GIT is crap, and again no user friendly

Listen.

I'm not talking about the new revision [Which is idiotic, using dates? its so pathetic].

I'm talking about the whole project that was _AWESOME_.

It helped me to learn over 7 programming languages, I know C++ more than my teachers and more than my friends, It helped me a lot.

but now? I'm still using _Revision_ [yes, the old SVN Revision] 6749, as the core gets unstable and unstable.

You don't get into the core most of the patches, Arena patch for example, every new mangos user is using it, People held their core for 6 days including SD2, with averge of 150 players [e.g is the UDB Moderator, Sepiroth or however he spells his name].

Same for more and for more people.

but as you said, you want to help people to get with larger projects, and let's say one of the people here will develope some MMORPGS, no anti cheater, so what if you don't support public server? its still _USEFUL_ for people who wants to learn C++.

and you know that most of the people here [some devs even] are using Windows.

So Arena patch is unstable but this is stable? LOL?

The project was great, if blizzard won't kill it, the devs will do that.

100 % confirmed

I managed to Download the source code, searching the commits log, Revert changes ... But applying patches, Resolving conflicts, TortoiseSVN was good with it...

Now i either have to apply patches manually which will take ages or use outdated SVN without Ace netcode

yes that is it :) that is true what u sayed, but nobody sayed GIT is bad *g* ( we need no changes, the old system was great 4 all ) MANGOS u see alot of old DEV´s members leaved WHY ???

Put the patches in svn Arena, AV etc. and trinity is only a clone from u. u are the mothership hehe ( destroy all clones *g* )

I have read a lot of replies and I've seen very few intelligent comments on things that are really bad in git. The vast majority of the issues do have good solutions. It's just that it takes time until everyone gets to know these solutions, so you get a lot of noobs thinking they don't exist. Once you get used to it, it has some features which are a lot better than SVN, even on Windows. I'm using Windows for example, as well as the majority of the dev team, and I was as shocked about this change as anyone else, but I found a lot of cool stuff in it that make up for most of the annoyances. The dates aren't as convenient as revision numbers I agree but they work with identifying and comparing commits and you saying they are pathetic is just you being too stubborn to try using them.

Do they ? From what I've heard old SVN patches apply just fine if you make sure your paths are right.

It takes about 15 clicks in total to update to the latest commit using the GIT GUI. Even less clicks if you want to update to a specific commit by SHA, though more clicks if you want to search a SHA by date first. Point is .. you can do with just clicking and copy paste if you don't know how to do anything else.

There were some issues that were fixed recently, and if you see new ones feel free to report them and they will get fixed. We currently rely on your feedback to fix the problems. If you don't test it then we can test all want with one player in the server, there is no way for us to know that something is wrong with it. We are working on changing that, but it will take time.

As I've written a million times, and people who have experience in large projects agree with me, if you do not review the changes and just commit them without knowing the code, you will hurt yourself more in the end. Everyone knows the patch is stable, but you need much more than that to have something integrated well.

I don't believe anyone officially said that, or if he has it's not something that is agreed upon by the whole team (there are lots of things like that, we are all different people and can disagree sometimes). There are several anticheat measures in place already in the core. I believe the real issue of why the changes haven't gotten in is because some of these changes are very hacky or too slow or something, don't know actually.

It was tested for a long time by a lot of people on all platforms, nobody reported any problems with it, shame on you for not testing and reporting the problems sooner so they could have been fixed before it being committed. It was considered stable but that's not why it was added but because we have a developer in the team who knows how to work on it and fix bugs if necessary. That can not be said about the arena patch, very few of us know how battleground stuff works. If something gets broken later we cannot fix it without reviewing it, so it's better to add it only after it's reviewed.

There have been very few real reports of problems with ACE (I mean other than complaints and whining). The one with disconnecting was solved by Derex and committed later on.

I've tried to patch the Arena Patch using my 6650 arena patch version, some files should be conflicted, but it wasn't patch EVEN ONE FILE!

Take a look at a patch that is made by GIT, and one made by SVN, they are different, and I did added mangos/src/ to my path.

about Testing the ACE, I did tested it, 3 times, The core disconnected almost everybody and got "stuck" somewhen [you could use console command lines, but if you were trying to login the client was stuck on "Connected"].

About updating, I've tried like 3 guides on the forum, it downloaded me the source, but only few files, and like 4 projects were missing.

About anti patch, yes, there is an AFlyHack, it does work, but ASpeedHack is not implemented on the source, and that's the main problem of hacking.

and still, instead of completly moving to GIT, why didn't you stay up on SVN and sometimes use the GIT? I think we should do a poll, GIT or SVN, and we will see what the community prefers.

What do you think?

and still, instead of completly moving to GIT, why didn't you stay up on SVN and sometimes use the GIT? I think we should do a poll, GIT or SVN, and we will see what the community prefers.

What do you think?

I agree with that, Or SVN can be used for regular Source downloading and Community patches intime GIT used for developers and forking.

I don't contribute in dev. coding (just dont know any c++) so I wouldnt know the diffrence in GIT/SVN but what I do see is when i try to compile (easy download now) there is no problem. But when i try to patch this was sometimes already hard in SVN now as i hear some cases almost impossible with (old svn patches?). This is bad since i liked to also use ahbot time till time but thats all ok with me since i take the core as it is. But the problem is for the real contributors, the developers or the ones who were about to become one after doing alot of efforts in svn and learning stuff.

The biggest problem is here: if so many people who did contribute are complaining and if mangos does want a majority of people who are willing to join this project and contribute to it to learn and develop the project and theirselves then this is wrong! People who were about to learn and understand things will probably give up since they have to start all over again.

On the other hand I believe theLuda if he thinks this is the best platform to develop things and that GIT has the future.. i have to watch the git vs svn youtube movie ^^. Maybe its all true still i wonder if it was the right choise to do?? What is the future of mangos does mangos truely need GIT?? How ambitious are all the contributers and devs to spend on mass alot of time again for a new method with GIT because GIT has the future? Is all of this effort worth it will this truely bring our community to a higher standard? Or will it go downward because it scares people who dont like the challenge to learn another new way...

Its a fact though that it is a challenge.. so goodluck to all the contributers and developers.

@Kray - I think you raise some good points. It feels to me that the move to Git was because it's the "latest" thing. Once something else shows up I worry that the Devs will decide to move yet again. There are how many Paste Bin type sites out there now? People always seem to be driven by "trends".

I agree with the person who said that the Dev's should have been talking about this move and asking for community input before making the decision. Frankly...without the community providing feedback (positive or negative) then the Dev's have nothing. A decision can NOT be simply made on what's best for the Dev's. The decision SHOULD have been made with EVERYONE in consideration. It's VERY clear that the majority of people were not thought of when the Git move was decided.

It does NOT matter if the Dev's use Git on Windows....Bravo...I applaud you. This does NOT mean that those of us who do NOT want to take the time to learn a new system have to like the change. There are many of us who wish to have a KISS process when working with testing Mangos. I do NOT care how good Git is for the Dev's. If it is that great for the Dev's then THEY should use. If the community feels that SVN is best for US then the Dev's need to listen to that as well.

The solution here should be Git for those that want to use it and SVN for those that want to use it. How hard would it be for the Dev's to do a nightly commit to SVN with the latest main branch of Git???? Come on...those of us who don't want to change to Git are being told WE are the lazy ones for not attempting to learn a new system. The Dev's are lazy themselves if they can't accomodate the community.

in one word... "HELPPPPPPPPPPPP" lol ok i need a git guy here tongue.gif i know how to get the lastet git of mangos... but i can not figure out. how to get to a prevsion version i want... i want the core for 10/26/08 im not sure but its something to do with the tree numbers ? http://github.com/mangos/mangos/commits/master looking at that page if i find out where i enter the info if i that revesion would it be the tree # ? 9f890e8df890942e64a1902c99806bbf8332f3b9

I am a noob at git. I'm trying to learn, So if anyone can help. i would be thankfull

to get latest version i start up git git go to clone existing repository

url - git://github.com/mangos/mangos.git

directory (like d:\\temp

Lest thats how i get the latest files... and im not sure im even doing that right....willing to learn if some one would like to show me the the basics...

@Kray - I think you raise some good points. It feels to me that the move to Git was because it's the "latest" thing. Once something else shows up I worry that the Devs will decide to move yet again. There are how many Paste Bin type sites out there now? People always seem to be driven by "trends".

I use this "latest" thing for almost 2 years ... and Mercurial is even younger :)

I agree with the person who said that the Dev's should have been talking about this move and asking for community input before making the decision. Frankly...without the community providing feedback (positive or negative) then the Dev's have nothing. A decision can NOT be simply made on what's best for the Dev's. The decision SHOULD have been made with EVERYONE in consideration. It's VERY clear that the majority of people were not thought of when the Git move was decided.

It does NOT matter if the Dev's use Git on Windows....Bravo...I applaud you. This does NOT mean that those of us who do NOT want to take the time to learn a new system have to like the change. There are many of us who wish to have a KISS process when working with testing Mangos. I do NOT care how good Git is for the Dev's. If it is that great for the Dev's then THEY should use. If the community feels that SVN is best for US then the Dev's need to listen to that as well.

The solution here should be Git for those that want to use it and SVN for those that want to use it. How hard would it be for the Dev's to do a nightly commit to SVN with the latest main branch of Git???? Come on...those of us who don't want to change to Git are being told WE are the lazy ones for not attempting to learn a new system. The Dev's are lazy themselves if they can't accomodate the community.

IIRC devs weren't too exited about it from the beginning and such step was made FOR the community. To allow patch contributors to "fork" mangos and develop their modifications on it, and more importantly - to share those changes further.

... and I agree on closing this topic, the decission was made ... and I see like 80% people "adapted" to it, others just don't want to read tutorials and docs.

Okay, to make things easier, I set up a new SVN mirror on Assembla.

The mirror is updated every hour from Git's master branch, but there are few drawbacks:

• * everything is commited from my assembla acc, so you'll probably see "fregh" as an author of all commits, which is true, but not at the same time (true for commits, not true for changes), so bear that in mind
    * mirror is being updated every hour, using git-svn set-tree feature, which literally means a large possibility of merging several git commits into one svn (ie. if three git commits are made within that hour, all three appear as one in svn), I tried to work around that, but that would really mean lots of work to be done and this solution works for those, who "just want to get source and manage it with TortoiseSVN"
    * it isn't there forever, I'll try to update it for several next months, no guarantee it will remain that long though, server's HW may fail, it can be offline for some time, etc ... but I really don't expect that to happen (with 211 days uptime now).

"the straight dope": http://svn2.assembla.com/svn/mangos-svn-mirror/

PS: everything is converted to LF, even win/ directory, so double check your EOL settings ..

PS2: and please stop any further offtopic

OK what is the latest MaNGOS official repository. SVN or GIT?

Why the last SVN commit is almost 1 month old?!!?!

the official repo is at github and will remain there. if you are looking at the svn on sourceforge then yes it will be that old. if you look a few posts up there has been a temporary svn set up on assembla to help in the transition to git. this repo, as detailed above, is not updated at each commit but rather is done at regular intrevals so several git commits may be put into each svn commit.

regards,

jdg

What is the advantage of Git over SVN? I know SVN was a lot more user friendly then Git but what made you guys use Git?

It wasn't, just Tortoise made it look more user friendly on WIndows.

What made us to prefer Git over SVN? Try watching some videos and googling some features :) .. for me it's just the low level part, it isn't limited so some operations, you can do whatever you want directly in the object database.

btw .. http://github.com/mangos/mangos/network really grows ..

It wasn't, just Tortoise made it look more user friendly on WIndows.

What made us to prefer Git over SVN? Try watching some videos and googling some features :) .. for me it's just the low level part, it isn't limited so some operations, you can do whatever you want directly in the object database.

btw .. http://github.com/mangos/mangos/network really grows ..

i agree, git>svn, just tortoiseSVN was really good at svn. but now i'm able to use the git console and i'm no longer afraid of git. i think, nobody should have a problem to execute those commands:

git clone git://github.com/mangos/mangos.git (first init)

git pull origin master (updates)

git apply (apply patches)

oh, and i think it's about time now, someone could close here, that's a real flamethread...