Git mirrored to SourceForge SVN

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I too took the time to learn git but for ease of use on a user/community member end, I still prefer SVN. Any chance you would consider continuing the automatic update to svn rather than just do it for awhile? pls :)

This isn't intended just at you Whistler but the community must take into account that there are costs involved with these services. With the amount of bandwidth that the MaNGOS project uses at sourceforge I find it hard to believe that they are doing it at no cost. If TheLuda and the rest of the team are doing this it is to ease transition to GIT not as a permenant alternative.

If any of my comments are out of line or erroneous then feel free to correct me.

Regards,

JDG

Totally agree. Not to mention Visual Studio integration with VisualSVN!

I would really like to see mangos moved to the Eclipse C++ ide... i was thinking of taking the time to do it but its a lot of work and a big pain in the rear end. It has something called EGit (which TheLuda kindly pointed out to me in another thread) and i feel it is more powerfull (it tells you when somethings not being used, if you spelled something wrong, etc) I know someone did do it for linux a while back.

"SVN is more simple, why use GIT?" The answer is not only in bandwidth (as you can do diffs offline, etc), but in something else. Most of you lack the knowledge of what Git is able to do over SVN. Yeah, you have no damned idea what's possible with it because you can't imagine it now (still trying to compare it with SVN, eh?).

And I say it again - you have NO idea. I can promise you that if Mangos will take full advantage of what's Git possible to do, there would be no SVN mirror, just because you can't mirror all those constantly changing and temporary branches and tags (and several versions) effectively to SVN, not to mention octopus merges.

And if that happen, you won't ever want SVN back, not even the most dumb users.

Git is definately far superior and if the developers can get more accomplished with it then awesome.

I would like to see the SVN repository stay for some time though, maybe for stable master releases once or twice a week. This will allow testers, especially Windows server testers the ability to continue to use with ease and provide valuable feedback to developers. For those more comfortable with git, there would obvisouly be more frequent bleeding edge updates available. Thoughts?

Git itself is no doubt superior, but it is like throwing TFS out there and telling Linux users to go find a decent tool to do pulls and commits to TFS. The tools for Windows, for git, just aren't there. They're immature and have very little integration.

The SVN repository still is http://mangos.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mangos/ and will stay on this address. This thread just was made to announce that a mirror will be coming, not that it already works.

Ok, since i got this server dumped on me with a crash course that was done in one day and I have been swimming since. Can someone tell me that if my svn is not pointed to this address, how do I make sure that it is pointed to there? I am trying to learn all this from a onetime use standpoint and my friend cant help me because he dont have internet yet. please?