Changes to mangos-zero

• 41 years later...

Greetings,

while it may seem silent these days on our forums, laziness has not yet reached this holy halls.

We're pouring new life into mangos-zero, and will be providing a whole lot of nifty updates for those who love their classic dose of WoW.

Keep your eyes on https://github.com/mangos-zero, as the updates keep coming in.

Joining the mangos-zero train

If you love the times when patch 1.12 was the thing feel free to raise a hand if you would love to jump on the train and give a helping hand.

Requirements are low, all you need is love for classic WoW, sufficient motivation to win a Dwarven drinking contest, and the rest we'll teach you.

Sheeps said enough, make yourself heard.

Once I'll get a bit sober, I'd like to be included in this train. Don't care where its going, cuz its MaNGOS and it will eventually go to awsumland, but a bit of training courses on the long ride would help out big time :) If anyone can PM a link(s) and/or text(s) on how I can contribute to MaNGOS[zero]/[one], huge thanks would be sent via E-Mail (I hope people still use it these days).

I'm glad to see raised hands, I'll get to you via PM or other channels, though it's going to be a little different, because I'll hand out resources and specific tasks instead of the usual "do whatever you can" :)

We're doing this a bit more like google Summer of Code with mentoring.

hmm, it is not my business (as I am not on zero dev'ment) - but maybe you guys should consider joining the irc system to talk together..

as sd2 public channel is on rizon.net, as is the (old?) channel of udw, maybe this would be the right place;

correct my if I post nonsense :)

irc.rizon.net #udw

There will be the same action for each branch of mangos. Due to my limited time I try to get each branch redefined and the interested people supplied with resources within one week, meaning I'll be supplying all the -zero friends with help and resources up to the 2nd September, and then I'll open the same post and action for mangos-one.

@caeruleaus: PM incoming.

I'm glad to see raised hands, I'll get to you via PM or other channels, though it's going to be a little different, because I'll hand out resources and specific tasks instead of the usual "do whatever you can" :)

We're doing this a bit more like google Summer of Code with mentoring.

Nice! I was wishing for a long time that someone who has a good overview over what needs to be done hands out tasks - I believe a major problem for many people who want to contribute is that Mangos/SD2/(U)DB is huge, and people have no idea where to start and what is needed. I know that it is part of the MaNGOS learning philosophy to figure this out for yourself, but it can be... unproductive.

Go Go Go TheLuda!!

P.S.: Joined the IRC channel - see you there

If anyone is working on One project I am willing to help out. I have a TBC-DB update pack 1.1.1 that is near complete for release.

I am still kicking around on SD2 forums. My time is very limited but I am not completely gone. My problem is for one project I have been the ONLY one developing for it. If I was to work with a few others I would be happy to continue my work as time permits.

In a very limited way, I am somewhat working with One. I still use it to keep my 2.4.3 around, and I was using TBC-DB. I was working on a few gossip related fixes in the database, when the UDB forum went down. Nevertheless, I wouldn't count myself as working on One though, mainly because I still have a very long way to go in the learning curve (and apart from that I can only spend so much time on it given my extremely busy life outside this project).

But perhaps I should make a step forward. If there's one thing we've learned in the past few weeks, it is that these can't be "one man" projects. Once you start figuring out yourself how things really work and what's going on, both in the core and in the db/scripts, you start realizing what insane amount of effort has been put into these projects. Typically all done by a handful of people, which is a tremendous accomplishment, that I think too few people seem to realize. No "thank you" post could thank you guys enough for that effort, so I figured... maybe it's time to truly thank you, by reaching out and offering a few hours of our time to be your student...

X-Savior, you were talking about TBC-DB right? :P

Yes, I am talking about TBC-DB. I am now well on the way to getting 1.1.1 release finished. If anyone has any fixes and contributions they can make them on ACID forums at SD2. This is currently only place I have that work can be done while UDB forums forums are down.

I do appreciate any and all help. My time is very limited but refuse to let this die. ;)

In case of UDB and YTDB it may be because of the different language :) While I do understand a bit of Russian and still learn a bit more each day, not everybody may be wanting to do so.

Anyway... we could in theory run forums for UDB using the getmangos user database, thus eliminating one additonal account for every user.