Russian spam threads?

Guest manofwar95

It's a never-ending tech battle. They must generate enough income to justify all the effort expended on creating these tools to circumvent anti-spam. I'm not so sure it's to get sales of product so much as it is harvesting information from those people that click the links. Data brokers make big bucks trading your private information.

There's also the possibility those sites have been compromised and this is an attempt to use "drive-by" downloading to infect your computer for whatever nefarious purposes they have in mind.

If you start filtering based on blacklists (i.e. http://www.stopforumspam.com/) you'll catch a lot more of them. I can almost guarantee most of the bots that hit here are on there.

Yeah we could definitely do something like that.

It depends on how it works since in some cases it may stop users from registering to the forums.

Edit: It seems quite good we could use that.

I have seen some forums using short videos and then asking a question about the video to allow registration. The problem with that however, are users with slow connections. I like the email verification. Simply delete unverified accounts within a week and you keep your database clean as well.

Email verification is far from the perfect solution. I've run a website that has user registration for a number of years now. I found that so many bots could successfully respond to email verification that I eventually just turned verification off. Analyzing the registrations, I found that it was actual legitimate users that were the ones having trouble responding to the verification emails, either because of their junk folder rules, they were too lazy to complete the registration, or they used fake email addresses.

What solved the spam problem for me was a plugin I installed that uses 5 different sources to block spam registrations. I believe it uses blacklists, but it's been so long since I installed it, I don't even remember anymore (over two years ago). I still get new users registering and the odd bot from time-to-time, but nothing I can't handle. The plug-in has been a godsend. I suppose it's possible that legitimate users might get caught up in the net, but that might be a risk worth taking as the spam here is really bad.

As for the plug-in I use, I don't run the same platform that's used here, so it wouldn't apply. But I'm sure a popular platform like vbulletin has similar tools (I'm assuming this is a vbulletin forum, as it looks like one).

• 4 weeks later...

With the ideas that Senpuria, Patman, and pcheddar have offered, it's just a matter of when TheLuda returns from his other obligations to implement a working solution.

Until then, we all just have to bear it with good grace while back-tracing their IPs and hunting the spammers like the disease-bearing vermin they are. ]:D

ahere another idea i think it use in another forum during signing up you have to answer a question that req u to actualy google it to get answer.maybe can be random or mayby out set of question that randomly pick so not same or predictable say set 50 question the randomly have you answer one of question out of the 50 when you signup.and change the question every so often to make more dif for bots

Let me jump in here:

• we do have a working reCAPTCHA,
  • we do verify email addresses and do not let unverified users post,
  • we use a random question upon registration, as I have written a module for that myself a while ago. It just might need more questions and answers to make it more "random".

If you guys and girls feel like it, come up with a few cool questions/answers, and I will add them. Also I will add and enable the blacklisting module.

come with a couple sets of random questions so that you switch them up with every so often so the answer dont become predictable

say 20 or more how many want put in at time use those for a while example couple months then change the set question up with new set of 20 or more

that way the are never realy the same group of questions

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use