Chucksta

Hi all,

I literally just got my WoW Zero server up and running, so, feeling buzzy, I thought I'd post an intro.

I now have a live server for my friends to mess about in, and I'll also set up a test server for me to play with the database and code, now that I know what to do to get it up and running. I can't wait, just love to hack and code!

I'm a coder by trade: C, C++, C#, x86, PHP <- the current active scripting/programming languages, but others regularly pop in and out of use, especially LUA and Javascript :D I tried my damnedest to avoid Javascript, but the requirement for updates to just parts of the web page required the use of AJAX :-( . Good stuff, though, in the end :-)

I used mangos originally way back in 2006, then after a long break tried cmangos, then this time round I went:

mangos -> cmangos -> trinity -> mangos

mangos on a Win7 build - too much lag

cmangos - tried Win7 but had the lag again, so switched to Ubuntu (super fast), but had a line of sight issue in game (many hours of fiddling and no joy) <-- I will resolve this!!!

trinity - doesn't seem to support classic/vanilla, I could be wrong, but at this point my head was about to explode :mad:

mangos (again) - with Ubuntu build, and blimey - perfection is perfected :D

I only had 2 hick-ups that required some searching:

1) Missing LuaEngine.h

fixed by using: git clone --recursive git://github.com/mangoszero/server

2) Complained about the dbc, map, vmaps

fixed by compiling the extraction tools in: mangos/server/src/tools/map-extractor folder, and moving the executables to the WoW client folder.

Even though my server is Ubuntu, I used the MS windows installation (I'd tried that version of the server first and just happened not to have deleted it) to compile the extraction tools, then ran them via GIT Bash. I done that because I ran across a recent post where someone had issues with compiling in Linux, doable but a fiddle, it seemed.

I was in Win 7 anyway, so it was nice and quick just to use VS 2012.

And yes, I am an MS Windows person :-)

I had a LOT of experience with UNIX and Linux, but that was quite some time ago. As it turns out, though, the knowledge is still there! Even remembered how to navigate vi, without having to look anything up *SHOCK*

I always preferred vi :-)

Right, now what to do??? Hmm, maybe take my newly created Bogie, the undead rogue out for some fun, before I start figuring out how everything works behind the scenes :D

Hi and Welcome back to Mangos.

Glad you enjoyed the new Rel19 version, getting that out was a labour of love for about 4 months starting at the beginning of this year.

If you haven't already, I would advise you to grab the latest Revision which is Rel20. This is currently in final testing before being put live.

to clone, the easiest way is as follows:

git clone http://github.com/mangoszero/server.git --recursive -b Rel20

You should also grab Rel20 of the Database

git clone http://github.com/mangoszero/database.git --recursive -b Rel20

I hope you enjoy things as much as we did working on it:D

BTW... the forum tracker lists all known issues with Zero.

Cool, I'll get on with that now , and take a look at the tracker :-)

I'm remotely connecting to the database on the server, so that I have an easy means of editing it. I don't want any GUI on the server, and being very used to MS Windows, it suits me to edit it from my main machine (win 7).

Messing about in the command line of the server is a real buzz. Takes me back, it does :D <--- reading "Legacy of the Jedi 01", a lot of Yoda chat going on, lol

Just to say, bloody impressed with the mangos build on the Ubuntu server. EXTREMELY FAST from the WoW client's point of view (logging in, entering the realm, movement, interaction, combat). Brilliant!

I'll be sure to donate some more at some point (not that I have given much so far, lol), hopefully soon. Just plain worth it.

Cool, I'll get on with that now , and take a look at the tracker :-)

I'm remotely connecting to the database on the server, so that I have an easy means of editing it. I don't want any GUI on the server, and being very used to MS Windows, it suits me to edit it from my main machine (win 7).

Messing about in the command line of the server is a real buzz. Takes me back, it does :D <--- reading "Legacy of the Jedi 01", a lot of Yoda chat going on, lol

Just to say, bloody impressed with the mangos build on the Ubuntu server. EXTREMELY FAST from the WoW client's point of view (logging in, entering the realm, movement, interaction, combat). Brilliant!

I'll be sure to donate some more at some point (not that I have given much so far, lol), hopefully soon. Just plain worth it.

If you see any bugs you feel like having a crack at, make a free github account and fork the server repo, that way you can work on bugs and send us PR (pull request) from you're own repo and we get stuff fixed like that with you being credited as the author of it - this is the system we like everyone to use :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived