[patch/dev] pet stats

Auntie Mangos

Wooow this seems very nice :). I agree that this is a very complex issue...so thank you for the research :). Just for clarification, there is already one thread - http://getmangos.eu/community/viewtopic.php?id=9923 which does some changes in the pet scaling system.

I also have a question before testing it - does the sql part actually work? Because as far as I know pets are still not getting any HP (and maybe also other stats?) from stamina specified in pet_levelstats...

Hope that at least any part of it will get implemented soon.:)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for clarification, there is already one thread - http://getmangos.eu/community/viewtopic.php?id=9923 which does some changes in the pet scaling system.

Hmm, I should take a look at the core modifications forum more often... :-/ Anyway, the two patches are overlapping only less. But what I remember again is that I also wanted to change the stamina factor for wl pets^^. 30% seems to be really wrong... I'm going to change that soon.

The thing with the mana calculation is really new to me. I did most of my final tests with hunter pets, because only there I had the data for quite high level pets, where I could verify the scaling factors best and probably so I did not notice that. I'll also have a look on that soon.

I also have a question before testing it - does the sql part actually work? Because as far as I know pets are still not getting any HP (and maybe also other stats?) from stamina specified in pet_levelstats...

Hmm, for me this works :confused:, and I think this should also have worked before.

Edit: Ah, yes. I missunderstood this. You are right. Thie stamina in pet_levelstats in fact does not have any influence. But that does not matter, because the basehp given in petlevelstats is calculatet including the pets base stamina. This is simply a question of handling: Pets will not receive their hp bonus of stamina as players do (http://www.wowwiki.com/Stamina). What is identical is, that they will receive 10 hp for any more point of stamina. So this system just prevents us from needing to hardcode an extra hp calculation for every pet (or would also work is to have negative base hp for pets, what is in fact impossible :-P).

AS i think this should not be uncommented: (*)

Posts that are not at topic will be removed to the "trash-bin" subforum. This is usual forum administration and a must if people don't respect topics enough to stay with them.

This happened with the post yesterday.

It was removed because it was absolutely not at topic. This had nothing to do with containing links actually.

(For anybody else: sart13 posted into the Roadmap-Thread, and besides some generic complaining a link to a single commit of him. The link would actually be welcomed, but just not into a thread which is about _generic_ steps to go. )

So from my view - which I am sure consists the view of other devs - you are very welcome to post code, references to code and discuss them. But there are proper places (**) for this, and I wished you would use them.

mangos.ru forums is a special place, at first because the translators russian <-> english seems to suck and at least I often miss nice stuff there because I cannot read it.

(A fun fact: I even was not able to register at mangos.ru forums due to translation problems..)

And secondly I can admit that "you" might feel treated badly with reason in the way that "I" (from getmangos.eu side) rarely see contribution from you, and "you" see no interest from mangos devs (as you contribute over mangos.ru)

Also it might be noteworthy, that I explicit asked to PM me, if there was some unhappy feeling about my moderating style - I even PMed you to explain why some posts where removed from the vehicle-dev thread (after you had been warned, and then secondly warnend that further off-topic posts would be removed)

So, I am really unhappy that you feel like your opinion or your contributions are not allowed here.

I can only tell that I expect anybody posting here to

* post at topic (or create a new topic for other things)

* don't use posts to advertise an own fork - this is a forum about mangos, not about mangos-forks

* at least try to be respectfull towards other people

Also I feel that I am not doing anything bad, if I move topics to the "trash-bin" subforum that violate these rather simple rules..

However I consider your worries that posts of yours are removed without reason, hence I PMed TheLuda, to take a look into the forum-logs, that we have proper facts to see what is going on (as I am very sure - but might be wrong of course - that no posts are deleted here without reason!)

(*) Though actually my post as well is entirely not at topic, maybe after a night full of sleep I might split this to a topic to generic, but don't know..

(**) and actually proper ways to do so, insulting mangos devs probably won't do any good to the patches (unfortunately)

• 39 years later...

Hey guys,

I had the possibility to make quite a big research on offi servers about pet stats and scaling. Originally my aim was to find analytic expressions who the pet's stats scale with their level (and also owner), but scraped that idea soon, as every pet is different, and there are just too many irregularities. What is left of this work are two additional values in pet_levelstats (see patch discription).

Anyway I found a lot of stuff to improve (in fact too much... :mellow:). Biggest change of this patch is the handling of scaling stats from owner attributes. Very important point is at first, that we have to decide between dynamic scaling pets (e.g. hunter- , warlock-, death knight pets) and pets that apply bonuses only on summon (temporary (controlled and non controlled) summons, guardian pets). For the dynamic scaling there are special scaling auras (http://www.wowhead.com/?search=pet+scaling#abilities). The patch will implement the use of those scaling auras.

Because patch became quite big I tried to devide as much as possible to be clear:

1st Main Patch: http://gist.github.com/273788

• * added mindmg and maxdmg field to pet_levelstats, the currently used formula in the code is quite inexact, especially for some kinds of guardian pets (e.g. the snake trap snakes, that do ways to high dmg with that formular, but also hunter and wl pets)
    * cleanup in Pet::InitStatsForLevel, the static bonuses from owner will be added there as unit mods (you won't have to acces them any more, so you don't need to store it somewhere else), also implemented some more bonuses for temp. summons and guardian pets (shadow fiend...) and scaling mods (glyph of feral spirit)
    * implemented basepoint calculation for dynamic scaling auras, and off-like update interval system what additionally prevents to update those auras too often (maybe this is too special now, with the aura-modifier-change-system suggested by thenecromancer..)
    * updatet scaling coefficints of hunter pets basing on my researches, witch give really exact results now. Note that the bonus values you get to see in the players char window are incorrect (e.g. if you mouse-over your armor value: increases your pet's armomr by...). Unfortunatly I could not carry enough data to verify the wl-pet scaling, but they seem to fit quit good.
    * also added dk pet scaling factors, basing on research
    * added scaling of hitchance and expertise, formular based on my understandig of the patchnotes with a quite simple system: pet gains all hit chance modifier of master (e.g. if master has 3% increased hit chance at all pet's hit chance will also increase by 3%) and a correspondig dodge/parry chance reduction (3% increased hit chance of master -> 3% less chance of an opponent to dodge/parry an attack of your pet)... hmm, I just see that is in fact an 3.2.0 feature :(... but auras already exist...

Maybe one more note to the pet bonus damage: Those auras exclude the physical spell school, but on official servers also physical spells will benefit from this damage. I think they did this, beacuse otherwise also the normal autohit damage would benefit, what is not wanted. As bonus damage calculation for physical-non-weapon-damage-based-spells is currently not supported by mangos we don't have to concern about that (probably best would be to simply exclude schoolmask check for all pet scaling auras).

2nd, just the sql part: http://gist.github.com/273793

I know that mangos does not provide any values of pet_levelstats. Anyway I won't to post them here (maybe any udb likes them). In fact there are not too huge differeces to the already exsisting values in udb (or at least no importatant stats). Most important is the damage here, of course. I will provide some more values soon (also wl pets and ghoul), but I'm to lazy to type now^^

3rd: http://gist.github.com/273797

Just a temporary sollution for the following problem: If you recast -for example- a stamina increasing aura on a target, the targets current health will be set to the maximum health without any of both auras applied. Quite annoying when updating, because your pet will always loose health when updating the stamina aura.

4th: http://gist.github.com/273799

Add the hunter pet's happiness damage mod to spell bonus damage calculation (this is also scaling for me :P)

5th: http://gist.github.com/290507

Implementation of spell (new, updated at 24.02.2010!!) penetration sharing of pets.

6th: (already in mangos/master)

Make creatures also benefit of SPELL_AURA_MOD_EXPERTISE. This is just to make the expertise aura of pets (1st patch) have an effect :-)

7th: http://gist.github.com/273801

The custom scaling of hp/mana per sta/int. Original patch by corfen.

last: http://gist.github.com/435611

A fix for scaling problem concerning the pet talent "Wild Hunt" (new, updated 12.06.2010)

All pastes(gists) rebased on [10051].

Sorry for huge patch, but I don't want to spam the forum with that much singel threads, as all belong together -somehow-.

To get all use: git fetch git://github.com/pasdVn petstats (merged with [10051])

I will update this branch (not rebase) this branch from time to time while the gist-pastes will be always rebased.

Try it! A bit of feedback would be nice :-)

pasdVn

Thie stamina in pet_levelstats in fact does not have any influence. But that does not matter, because the basehp given in petlevelstats is calculatet including the pets base stamina. This is simply a question of handling: Pets will not receive their hp bonus of stamina as players do (http://www.wowwiki.com/Stamina). What is identical is, that they will receive 10 hp for any more point of stamina. So this system just prevents us from needing to hardcode an extra hp calculation for every pet (or would also work is to have negative base hp for pets, what is in fact impossible :-P).
Thanks, now I understand how do you mean it, I wrongly considered it for a bug :)
But what I remember again is that I also wanted to change the stamina factor for wl pets^^. 30% seems to be really wrong
If you mean 30% of stamina from master, it is also stated in the Character Info tab on the official, not only on wowwiki, the real HP difference between pets on the offi and mangos must be caused by something else than wrong % of stamina shared.

Thanks, now I understand how do you mean it, I wrongly considered it for a bug :)

If you mean 30% of stamina from master, it is also stated in the Character Info tab on the official, not only on wowwiki, the real HP difference between pets on the offi and mangos must be caused by something else than wrong % of stamina shared.

Then maybe incorrect (outdated) base HP ? :P

Yes probably that, too. But anyway he is right. They don't get the normal 10hp per stamina and 15 mana from intellect, as normal (what was already tried to fix in the the thread reeshack postet). I did not notice this problem up to now :-(

Hunter pets e.g. have their pet passive auras (e.g. http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=56634), what makes them in the end gain more hp from 1 stamina (this is also shown in the clinet - at least at the 3.2.0 version). Maybe there is a similar mechanic for wl pets. I try to find a clean sollution.

if i can request feature from you to add to your patch. It would be saving pet ids in battlegrounds - there are many conditions when pet is / isn't respawned after player is respawned by ressurection system in battleground. And patches that were here on mangos forum just added special variable to player class (last_pet_used_id) - but it is not correct, maybe we can use some other player's class variable - like lastsummonedpet or how it is called to respawn CORRECT pet after ressurection in bg.

Hmm, I can try that. But include it into this patch...!?

Maybe one more word to the mana per int scaling: Really strange thing :-/ I did not manage to find a simple connection between both. Maybe anybody has more detailed information on that?

Edit: I changed the stamina scaling of the warlock pet scaling aura to 70%. Links in first post are updatet.

It would be much more useful if somebody removed this hack code used for years, and implemented usage for scaling auras ( they do pretty much everything except resilience ).

Problem is that it will also need quite intensive updating of aura modifier amount ( and mainly modify already existing aura amount when modifier is applied/removed, this is not really that easy ), and those auras could maybe have a pointers in pet class, because of often access to them.

EDIT: this is useful for you http://www.wowhead.com/?search=scaling

I have alot of troubles after applying this patch, when I use call pet i get wowerror using MaNGOS 8630

Hmm, I did not notice such problems, but I'll have a look on that.

It would be much more useful if somebody removed this hack code used for years, and implemented usage for scaling auras ( they do pretty much everything except resilience ).

That is what that patch is about!! (did you read first post!? :-P)

Problem is that it will also need quite intensive updating of aura modifier amount ( and mainly modify already existing aura amount when modifier is applied/removed, this is not really that easy ), and those auras could maybe have a pointers in pet class, because of often access to them.

Maybe that could be the next step. Will at least save some cpu time...

Well, sorry did just a quick look at the code :) ( scared of the wall of text )

Well, here are some tips:

*Add auras to pet even with zero values, and put them all in list of pointers.

This list ( or lists ) can be quickly accessed from statsystem, so you shouldn't worry much about CPU usage ( but instead of deleting/readding them it'd be nice to just unapply modifier, change it's value and reapply it again )

*You don't really have to add

*Using template functions for resilience is ok, but it'd be probably much more editable if you used just 2 functions (crit chance reduction and crit/player damage reduction ) with 3/2 args ( original damage, rating name, crit boolean value ) for unit class ( in it check if unit is player or has player as owner, if found grab rating ( get rating name from function arg ), if not player typeid then just multiply value by 0.4 ), that will make it whole much better readable, as currently it is mostly duplicate stuff

* Scaling existing auras with newly applied modifiers is needed for Aspect of the Beast if I remmember correctly ( so very probably not part of this patch )

I like how is damage read from DB though, that makes fine-tuning much easier :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a hope for this patch..

I have 70hunter and Ghost Saber pet, and when i attack enemy my pets do max 100dmg.. its a very.. embarrassing... I test with DR Damage.. and me pet should do 300-400 DPS on 70lvl.. but now.. Do 50-120 max..

I create topic on lighthouse :

https://mangos.lighthouseapp.com/projects/18208/tickets/342-pet-damage-hunter

I found 20-25 bug's of Hunter.. but i dont have a power writing all.. beacouse i create topic's and nobody want fix Hunters.. life:P

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Sorry for long latency... did not have much time and motivation in the lask weeks/months :-/. I implemented a special scaling aura list for faster access and an "on-the-fly aura modifier update routine":cool:, as suggested by thenecromancer. Question is, if I should leave out the update delay completly, as the scaling aura update needs less cpu time now. Those update delay is anway a genral "feature" on offical servers with all statats (player/pets), I think.

I will try to update and rebase the patch set from time to time to the current HEAD (the single pastes), but just merge my github branch with mangos HEAD so that update won't be a problem for anybody using this branch.

Edit 01-11-2010

Sorry, I forgot about the new bonus damge system in Unit::MeleeDamageBonus(). Added some lines there and updated branch and pastes.