Playerbot

Sounds really cool :)

btw... is it possible to forbid the bots to take quests? maybe a command or an config-setting... i've switched to a bot today, and he has about 40 incomplete quests :D

I guess we could add a config-setting to forbid bots from taking quests, but if you want to exclude certain bots from doing certain quests

1. List active party quests

/p quest

[Quest 1][Quest 2][Quest 3]

2. You could simply drop certain bot quests if you want

/p quest d [Quest 2]

Quest removed.

Quest removed.

Hope this helps

• Replies 799
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got an idea not sure if it would be better than ignoring the quest but is there a way to have the bots just auto complete the quest after they get them? Set that in the config or something. And I still get a crash on skill learn (spell name) at the trainer all upload my crash file later had a delay on the responce had to work lol and one more thing is it better to compile on 2008 or 2010. And I Gog the skill learn on both GM and non GM and 0 addons and on windows 7 quad core.

doesn't the "auto complete" quest defeat the purpose of a playerbot?(frome a player perspective) or are we looking for a 100% automated extra player(s)? and if that is the case, why not just ".gm ON" your way through the game and skip the bots?

and/or give players a similar command. why harrass them with the complexity of multiple bots, when a few simple commands will do the trick.

I personally see the player bots and just that, companions someone to adventure with to help with the tough stuff and fly through the easy stuff. It would seem that if one wants to automate everything, having them is pointless as there are tons of other commands that would better serve someone. And blu boys hard work would appear as a sign of insanity - sorta like creating a bot(s) to automate the GM ON command. auto this, auto that.

but from a player perspective that does not have "GOD CONTROL" this is a fantastic twist on an old game (sort of like a GW style game play). Even as a gm, I find it more enjoyable now playing with a few extra toons, and leveling them up. They craft, gather level and train - with a little help from the player.

My suggestion: stay away from the dark side of "automation". Mangos has tons of automation command that the level can be changed to allow players the use of these commands.

just my 2.5c worth

i don't ignore all quests :D but some of them, like such where i have to collect a large amount of items.

The most experience comes from killing... and, if its really needed, via GM-command xD

Its really hard to collect items when you have more than one or two bots.

Edit:

an example: This is a quest, which drives me insane. For each bot 10 items + your 10. Actually i have 4 bots... i have to collect 50 items only to complete this quest... and no, these items cannot be dropped. i have to send each bot to each timberling to collect the sprouts.

I got an idea not sure if it would be better than ignoring the quest but is there a way to have the bots just auto complete the quest after they get them?

Frankly I don't much like this idea. It's basically cheating, and actually quite unnecessary. Skip the quests with item collection, do the ones with kills (which go by superfast), and beyond that go instancing. In fact, according to Dugis, even with moderate waiting times to find a party (which, with playerbot, should be zero), the fastest way to level by quite a margin is instancing.

I still get a crash on skill learn (spell name) at the trainer

This is a bug reported and confirmed a while back but could not be reproduced on either of blueboys servers (WinXP and Linux). We never did figure out what was causing it. Might I ask though, are you using UDB or YTDB (or something else) for your database?

<edit> and yes those quests drive me insane as well, but I do them nonetheless (who else wants the Loremaster achievement? ;))

That's even a moderately easy one - random drops on mobs are the worst. How come only every 10th troll has a single ear? How do these mobs hear me coming a mile away? </edit>

i don't ignore all quests :D but some of them, like such where i have to collect a large amount of items.

The most experience comes from killing... and, if its really needed, via GM-command xD

Its really hard to collect items when you have more than one or two bots.

Edit:

an example: This is a quest, which drives me insane. For each bot 10 items + your 10. Actually i have 4 bots... i have to collect 50 items only to complete this quest... and no, these items cannot be dropped. i have to send each bot to each timberling to collect the sprouts.

same way in retail. you have 5 players in your group they all have to get the loot, and the other 4 have to wait.

me and my son are having this debate - TBC+ (most will agree) got boring because the game became too easy. there was no sense of accomplishment, items on the ground suddenly got "sparklies" because "...they are too hard to find" , elite groups became normal mobs ".. because they were too hard to beat" yet people still made it to level 60 with no issues on vanilla. - I fear that with the auto-complete quest "because its too tedious" we falling in the same trap that is killing blizzard.

these days its like "Big whoop!! you got a mount" when in the old days - it was a thing to drool over (mostly because you had to be level 40! and seeing a epic mount was REALLY RARE!! these days - they're everywhere) - murlocs were hated and feared (and sometimes cause for rage quit). these days - "..meh whatever, I can take out a camp solo".

I may be wrong, but I was thinking the playerbot addition was to create "players" to adventure with both for the "soloist" and for servers with low populations. So far most the post here have been how to automate them - (and as stated in my previous post) you can hand out gm commands if you want it that easy - i.e. "quest complete [questid]"

Maybe I am mistaken.

What are the bots for?

Might I ask though, are you using UDB or YTDB (or something else) for your database?

Cause i have the samee problem, i'll answering too :D

i'm using UDB, with the german additions.

Edit:

@klyxmaster: Normally i'm playing with a group of friends... but when they aren't online, i use the bots... But while playing with my guys i can talk to them, so it isn't too stupid to wait for the mobs/items/anything else to respawn. Btw made my bots 3 levels while collecting the sprouts from the quest. Sure, i can drop the quests for them, or autocomplete them, but i want to play, and not configure the bots...

O just a quick note: I run a vanilla server, I will never do a wotlk/tbc server - wotlk it totally a wreck and is in need of some serious scripting. most of them are auto complete in the DK area - and yes makes that story line absolutely horrible and boring - sorta like: why is the quest even there - just skip it. TBC I just never liked the new races.

With vanilla its still a b**ch to play and even at low levels, you need to keep your head on (or loose it). With playerbots, I can tell you, it REALLY makes the game fun to play - even though I am on gm mode, i have yet to use any commands that off balance (other than a few .die commands in extreme situations). Its like a new game and I want to experience it with my new "group" LOL

So as long as the "auto-stuff" is in the conf and can be toggled, I'm happy. I think players will like the fact that they can create their own group and not have to worry about a "pug" -

One addition I would like to see it a flag that can be set to allow bots at a certain level. I would like the ability to make it so players cannot use this feature until they reach level x. and if you want to expand on that maybe they can have x and one level and after a second (tier) x more until they recha the gm designated max.

@klyxmaster: Normally i'm playing with a group of friends... but when they aren't online, i use the bots... But while playing with my guys i can talk to them, so it isn't too stupid to wait for the mobs/items/anything else to respawn. Btw made my bots 3 levels while collecting the sprouts from the quest. Sure, i can drop the quests for them, or autocomplete them, but i want to play, and not configure the bots...

I think vanilla bots are set up different, because I see lots of people running into issues I dont have. As you mentioned configuring bots. I never touch my bots.

I have a macro that summons them

macro that invites them

and im done

selling is auto so i dont need to do much there - unless i need to empty their bags

quest works fine auto accept, auto complete (and i click the rewards for them - no prob there)

macro to collect (or scan) - and off they go while i fight

The only time (which is rare - except in the beginning) i mess with them is during class quest - unless we are the same class i have to log out and log into them to get the quest, bluboy said that is something down the road.

I know my son said there is a big pain in the a$$ with the collection - so maybe there is something different there not on the vanilla bots. I just do a scan, the macro the "get" command and im done.

I'll be happy to check anyone's server (I do that a lot) I have all the clients (and servers) from vanilla - cataclysm (which I think ppl working with that one are brave as it leeches off blizzards server for access due to the streaming method they use) if you need a 3rd person tester.

I come again with my "invisibility bug" which is really annoying... It happens a lot when I enter into an instance, and bots never appear again, even if I exit. Strange thing : the pets are still visible.

On Trinity I had the same problem, but bots would appear when I entered in combat.

Also, in combat, bots are harassing me with "What? For a list of commands, ask for 'help'." I think it's related to an add-on, using Data Store or something like that. Does anyone had this problem before ?

EDIT : when they are invisible, bot's bars show a question mark, and I can't see their health points.

EDIT2 : I'm using Sharedbots, VMAPS disabled (not heights though).

Thanks kennumen. For the invisibility bug, it seems that there is nothing to do ? ...

For the other bug, it appears that the add-on ItemDB was causing that. The reason is that it permanently analyzes locale objects, scanning and inspecting other players as well, bringing all the time the items' list of bots.

i want to deny all quests for all bots :D because when i run with 4 to 9 boths through the world, i can't collect so much quest items for all bots :D

Just for you, I have created a small patch to forbid bots from accepting player quests automatically. This will not prevent you from using 'quest a' to assign quest to your bots.

diff --git a/src/game/playerbot/PlayerbotMgr.cpp b/src/game/playerbot/PlayerbotMgr.cpp

index f641f1a..7e3ea8c 100644

--- a/src/game/playerbot/PlayerbotMgr.cpp

+++ b/src/game/playerbot/PlayerbotMgr.cpp

@@ -456,6 +456,9 @@ void PlayerbotMgr::HandleMasterIncomingPacket(const WorldPacket& packet)

// if master accepts a quest, bots should also try to accept quest

case CMSG_QUESTGIVER_ACCEPT_QUEST:

{

+ if (botConfig.GetBoolDefault("PlayerbotAI.ForbidBotQuests", false))

+ return;

+

WorldPacket p(packet);

p.rpos(0); // reset reader

ObjectGuid guid;

diff --git a/src/game/playerbot/playerbot.conf.dist.in b/src/game/playerbot/playerbot.conf.dist.in

index 6bb4ab5..11a066b 100644

--- a/src/game/playerbot/playerbot.conf.dist.in

+++ b/src/game/playerbot/playerbot.conf.dist.in

@@ -27,6 +27,10 @@ ConfVersion=2011091201

# Limits the number of bots per account (Max 9)

# Default: 9

#

+# PlayerbotAI.ForbidBotQuests

+# Stops bot(s) from accepting quests as the player does. Bot(s) can still accept quests via the 'quest' command

+# Default: 0

+#

# PlayerbotAI.RestrictBotLevel

# Restrict the allowed bot level (Current Max 80)

# Default: 80

@@ -74,6 +78,7 @@ PlayerbotAI.DebugWhisper = 0

PlayerbotAI.FollowDistanceMin = 0.5

PlayerbotAI.FollowDistanceMax = 1.0

PlayerbotAI.MaxNumBots = 9

+PlayerbotAI.ForbidBotQuests = 0

PlayerbotAI.RestrictBotLevel = 80

PlayerbotAI.BotguyQuests = ""

PlayerbotAI.BotguyCost = 0

Hope this helps

Darkfr3ak, maybe you can do that instead :

UPDATE item_template SET Flags = 2048 WHERE Flags = 0 AND class = 12;

UPDATE item_template SET Flags = 3136 WHERE Flags = 1088 AND class = 12;

Partyloot for every quest items (cards-type items also with the second line)

Not really tested, but your bots are gonna be jealous if they can't quest with you :)

blueboy: You're really the best :)

Thank you so much. I'll test it as soon as VS has finished compiling.

But the patch failed again :D i've made it by hand. Like i said before: I HATE PATCHING! :D

Regarding the Carbonite-thing: It wasn't as simple as i thought... i've deactived Carbonite, but the bots keep asking... now i'll check every addon in my list.

Item DB like Joubarbe said can't be the reason, because i don't have it.

I got an idea not sure if it would be better than ignoring the quest but is there a way to have the bots just auto complete the quest after they get them? Set that in the config or something. And I still get a crash on skill learn (spell name) at the trainer all upload my crash file later had a delay on the responce had to work lol and one more thing is it better to compile on 2008 or 2010. And I Gog the skill learn on both GM and non GM and 0 addons and on windows 7 quad core.

I you really wanted bot to autocomplete certain quests, you might look at 'gmguy'. This was a mod I created to allow players to autocomplete broken quests (there are still a few ;)). It does require a GM to prime the database with those quests that can be auto-complete, but the players can then choose to complete them or not.

There been some excellent feedback on the 'skill learn' and 'bot invisiblity' issues, so there is no need to comment further, but I will continue to monitor for a fix.

I guess you will already know this. VS 2008 does a fine job if you only have old 32bit boxes like me, but you will be forced to use VS 2010 if you have a newer 64bit box. Our friends in Seattle do their best to resolve any compatibility issues and you will occasionally have to install a service pack or two and or hotfix. At the end of the day, the choice is yours but your pocket might influence your decision ;)

Hope this helps

I played with bots for a few days now, and I'm really impressed about a lot of things, like talents, spell-managing, orders and loots. As I said before to blueboy, I come from Trinity, and you obviously rewrite a lot of things for Mangos, thanks for that :)

However, if I may, I have some suggestions/problems, because we always want the perfection ! (especially when it's already very good)

1/ Firstly, with the invisibility problem ; I have less problems with VMaps (LOS) enabled.

2/ Bots can't be moved after engaging a combat and don't respond to the "follow" command when fighting. That would be a problem when encountering a patrol, or when you need to retreat...

3/ ... because there is no more "pull" command, so it's hard to aggro, pull back and fight.

4/ Same problem during under water combats. Bots drown without reacting.

5/ I think it's a bug, or at least a big problem : when a bot change target (because the player ask him to with the "attack" command, or he needs to protect an ally), he doesn't move at all.

6/ When a bot needs an equipment and win it, he should automatically equip it.

7/ Bots should autouse potions (I don't think they do that currently), and drink if needed (they say "I could use a drink" but they have what they need in their inventory).

8/ Combat should break the "stay" command ; except if it's to be the only way to pull mobs.

9/ The "attack" command should interrupt drinking bots.

10/ When the party dies, bots resurrect outside the instance, when the player is trying to reach the instance. They should wait for the respawn of the player.

11/ I don't really understand the "sell" command, it only worked one time, and I tried at least twenty times to sell linked items.

This is just a feedback, and maybe I'm doing things in a way I'm not suppose to :)

Keep up the good work !

11/ I don't really understand the "sell" command, it only worked one time, and I tried at least twenty times to sell linked items.

This is just a feedback, and maybe I'm doing things in a way I'm not suppose to :)

Keep up the good work !

good list! I agree!

what i do, not sure if your procedure is the same... i click the vendor (leave that window open) and use the:

/t botname s [shift-click an item displayed]

(note:sometimes i just move my chat window to the right because the vendor windows is blocking my list)

Is that the same for you?.

I think you can click up to 3 items at once - seems to ignore all on that

Cheers!

-Vanilla 1.12.1

Joubarbe, klyxmaster, darkfr3ak and others

its good to see interest on playerbot but honestly instead of complaining (bug report) all the time, u guys should try to learn and contribute a little bit

most of items on Joubarbe list are actually easy to accomplish, blueboy is just one guys he has his TODO list, try to help him instead of add more to it

b4 you start to bitch me, ive done my share to mangos community, too bad when blueboy started i was losing interest in wow, cos i could have helped way more than i did

not being able to code isnt an excuse, start with small modifications and as you get more comfortable with code mangos/playerbot u will be able to what ever you want, belive me ive done that starting from zero coding skills and finished able to do almost anything i wanted related to core/db/script/webpage

bluebot keep up with the outstanding work you´ve been doing, even thought i dont test it anymore, i regularly check source to see what u do

i wish some mangos dev add playerbot to master as debug feature to reward all the effort u´ve put into it.

i´ve seen ALL mangos 3rd party projects, as i was a member since 2005 and have to say that along with ahbot and mangchat you have brought playerbot to a level that exceed what blizzard have planned to this game, kudos to you

As I said, it's a feedback, not a complaint nor an offense or whatsoever.

Staying silent or saying "it's wonderful, there is nothing more to do" is not a way to manifest any enthusiasm or interest, in my opinion.

You code, I put some time testing it, this is a contribution, and believe me I'm sorry I can't do more (I tried several times C++). Your reaction is the best way to discourage players ; as it is for every projects today who can't accept feedback of "non-coders". (And you're not even testing it yourself :))

i´ve seen ALL mangos 3rd party projects, as i was a member since 2005 and have to say that along with ahbot and mangchat you have brought playerbot to a level that exceed what blizzard have planned to this game, kudos to you

And I think we all agree with that, of course...

Hi Guys,

Thankyou all for your interest and concerns, they're all appreciated.

It is our intention to encourage participation from all. When I first started with the MaNGOS community only two years ago, programming was a daunting prospect for me (I had little experience with c and no c++). I began by submitting ideas and this led to small patches and fixes. At that time rrtn was managing the code and he encouraged me to do more. I agree completely that it's important to have an exhange of views. It's great to hear nice things about the code, but we also value constructive criticism that will help us improve the code further. I would certainly prefer this, than for the project to stagnate through lack of interest.

Please don't be afraid to ask for help on the thread, certainly if it will help you to have a go coding yourself. I often get people contact me on PM with issues that I feel would benefit others on the thread. It's good to share ;)

Cheers