[Guide] Mangos Windows Setup

Guest AuntieMangos

Firstly thank you very much for writing this guide. Second I'm brand new to all this, just started reading and researching a few days ago..

I am currently deployed (floating around right now) so trying to research and pull as much as I can while we have a decent connection..

I managed to download everything listed in the "What you need" portion..

I worked around the git repository cloning issue behind a firewall by downloading the full mangos repository to my hard drive.

I just have a few simple questions as this is my first time compiling and working with all these programs..

In visual basic 2008 when you say go into tools options VC++ directories I made sure the options were the same but I don't have C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\\

Am I creating these directories or does visual create them for me? I have SDK directories but they are under a different folder, it also already has the lib/bin/include folders within the directory, so should I just map it to that directory instead? In Visual when you say -Click the open button near the right of the dialog window, and make sure the path is: the only visible buttons are "check" "new line" "delete line" "move up" "move down"

I'm using the New line button to add a new line or am I adding the directory to a certain line that's already listed?

I'm a bit iffy on some other things but I managed to work thru most of the stuff last night after I got off duty.. I managed to get everything else done right with no issues at all.. Everything compiled with 0 errors, the only other issues I had was with maps and dbc.. I created those folders followed the directions as far as putting ad.exe in WOW directory and running it. I noticed it created a maps and dbc folder within WOW but the dbc folder and maps folder in Mangos was still empty..

When I ran mangosd it came up with the error that it couldn't find any .vmap files which I'm assuming it's looking for it in the mangos folder? Am I assuming right on that?

Like I said this is my first time working with any of this so I'm learning as I'm going, so please don't beat me up to bad lol..

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly thank you very much for writing this guide. Second I'm brand new to all this, just started reading and researching a few days ago..

I am currently deployed (floating around right now) so trying to research and pull as much as I can while we have a decent connection..

I managed to download everything listed in the "What you need" portion..

I worked around the git repository cloning issue behind a firewall by downloading the full mangos repository to my hard drive.

I just have a few simple questions as this is my first time compiling and working with all these programs..

In visual basic 2008 when you say go into tools options VC++ directories I made sure the options were the same but I don't have C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\\

Am I creating these directories or does visual create them for me? I have SDK directories but they are under a different folder, it also already has the lib/bin/include folders within the directory, so should I just map it to that directory instead? In Visual when you say -Click the open button near the right of the dialog window, and make sure the path is: the only visible buttons are "check" "new line" "delete line" "move up" "move down"

I'm using the New line button to add a new line or am I adding the directory to a certain line that's already listed?

I'm a bit iffy on some other things but I managed to work thru most of the stuff last night after I got off duty.. I managed to get everything else done right with no issues at all.. Everything compiled with 0 errors, the only other issues I had was with maps and dbc.. I created those folders followed the directions as far as putting ad.exe in WOW directory and running it. I noticed it created a maps and dbc folder within WOW but the dbc folder and maps folder in Mangos was still empty..

When I ran mangosd it came up with the error that it couldn't find any .vmap files which I'm assuming it's looking for it in the mangos folder? Am I assuming right on that?

Like I said this is my first time working with any of this so I'm learning as I'm going, so please don't beat me up to bad lol..

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

On visual c++ 2008 express

go tools options projects and solutions vc++ directories

in excutables files new line the open folder icon then either browse to your vc folder or type C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\bin

in Include files new line the open folder icon then either browse to your vc folder or type C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include

in Library filesnew line the open folder icon then either browse to your vc folder or type C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\lib

You need to add your dbc and maps folders in world of warcraaft to your mangos folder and in magosd.cof in datdir = put where the folders are ie c:mangos/data

and put your vmaps in same folder as your maps and dbc

Hope this helps

On visual c++ 2008 express

go tools options projects and solutions vc++ directories

in excutables files new line the open folder icon then either browse to your vc folder or type C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\bin

in Include files new line the open folder icon then either browse to your vc folder or type C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include

in Library filesnew line the open folder icon then either browse to your vc folder or type C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\lib

You need to add your dbc and maps folders in world of warcraaft to your mangos folder and in magosd.cof in datdir = put where the folders are ie c:mangos/data

and put your vmaps in same folder as your maps and dbc

Hope this helps

wow I seriously read this and everything just clicked.. Thanks for the help.. I just can't believe I didn't understand the directions like that.. :wacko:

Hello, thank you for writing such an awesome guide, however. When I run Mangosd.exe and Realmd.exe everything runs smoothly until, I try to create an account. I typed in exactly what you said substituting [username] and [password] for my desired user and pass. Then it said 'There is no such command'. Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Nvm, fixed. For those of you curious. I figured out you had to type in:

account create [username] [password]

Hope this helped. :)

Ok first off thanks for the help above because it got me up and running. With a catch tho. I can play the game nothing wrong with it either than its not letting me start up woltk. Says I need to have it installed on my computer when it actually is. I can set my account to allow only 1 expansion and it loads everything perfect and I can play. Set the account to allow for wotlk and it says I need to install it. Which database controls that? I am using 7681 for mangos core (was a clean install not upgraded). 7546 for realm. Would that be my issue?

I'm still having trouble trying to find the command in mangosd.exe for enabling expansions and setting my account as a GM.

when you're on the mangosd window all you have to do is type help and it brings up all the commands.. Any command with a subcommand will have ... after it..

I think it's "account set"

after that whatever other subcommands are there will be listed.. So all you have to do is just keep typing the same thing till you obtain what you need..

IE:

account <enter> list of subcommands shows up

account set <enter> another list of subcommands shows up

etc etc..

What you will need:

-WoW client updated to 3.0.9 (3.1.0 is unsupported as of yet)

-MySQL server (download here)

-SQL client (a good one is SQLyog Community, available here; scroll down a bit on that page)

-GIT client (msysgit available here)

-Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (Express Edition available here)

On your next edit (and I'm assuming) you may want to add the need for the SDK. This was not mentioned and later in your guide you reference adding the exec/lib/inc from the SDK Platform directories which anyone who follows this guide would not have.

Okay that's all I can contribute at this point because even after installing the SDK (which is what I thought was the cause) I'm still getting the same compiling errors. I will post and hope for a reply but wanted to add this now before I forget so I can maybe help with enhancing a great guide.

ok so ive been following this guide exactly and have everything working exactly as intended except for when i run mangosd.exe it goes through most of it but at 92% through initializing data stores i get the below errors and can't figure out how to fix it.

./dbc/BattlemasterList.dbc (exist, but have 34 fields instead 35) Wrong client version DBC file?

./dbc/SoundEntries.dbc (exist, but have 29 fields instead 30) Wrong client version DBC file?

./dbc/Spell.dbc (exist, but have 231 fields instead 232) Wrong client version DBC file?

./dbc/SpellItemEnchantment.dbc (exist, but have 37 fields instead 38) Wrong client version DBC file?

./dbc/Vehicle.dbc (exist, but have 43 fields instead 40) Wrong client version DBC file?

./dbc/VehicleSeat.dbc (exist, but have 46 fields instead 58) Wrong client version DBC file?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

ok well ive partially answered my own problems... since im running patch 3.1.0 mangos just isnt compatible with it yet. And because of that my mangos was rev 7717 or something. So now is it possible to downgrade my client version to 3.0.9 and have it run without having to get rid of my 3.1 patch, recompiling everything and getting my server working on 3.0.9, then reinstalling patch 3.1 for my normal wow? Or would that be the quickest/simplest way of getting it running?

ok well ive partially answered my own problems... since im running patch 3.1.0 mangos just isnt compatible with it yet. And because of that my mangos was rev 7717 or something. So now is it possible to downgrade my client version to 3.0.9 and have it run without having to get rid of my 3.1 patch, recompiling everything and getting my server working on 3.0.9, then reinstalling patch 3.1 for my normal wow? Or would that be the quickest/simplest way of getting it running?

yes and no.

If you want a 3.1 so you can play normal and a 3.0.9 for your mangos, make 2 wow Folders, but you have to make sure everything points to the right folders. Or just wait until 3.1 is supported. There isn't a way to downgrade, and I doubt there would be a one-click button for that.

a buddy of mine actually had WOTLK loaded on a ext hd so I decided to compare folders..

After a fresh install from 2.0.0 to 3.0.3 I noticed I was missing files.

These files are WOW>Data>"lichking.MPQ"

WOW>Data>enUS>"Lichking-locale-enUS.MPQ" and "Lichking-speech-enUS.MPQ"

His install is of 3.1, I patched all the way up to 3.0.9 and those files have yet to show up.

I'm thinking it's these files that it's looking for when it tries to acces WOTLK.. I started reading around and some are saying you NEED the CD to activate WOTLK content.

I am loading this on a stand-alone laptop (my own personal).

I'm only wondering if this could be the reason and quite possibly why it wouldn't load, but then again I question the theory as I don't know if private servers have to register WOTLk with blizz anyways so why would that be?

I'm compiling the new version of mangos now and hopefully this will work..

what an excellent post, within 2 hours I have my own server up and running...

went smoothly apart from the sql server install which took a few go's under vista (even run as admin)

built under studio2008 no probs,

created account logged in - everything good - but theres no npc's must have missed something?

ps. thx to the posters who said about the help command within the mangosd app seem quit self explanatory after that.

Is there a in game GM command listing - tried searching with no joy?

basically want lvl 80 full spec :)

/*edit*/ found loads GM commands - google wow GM commands - doh

regards,

Laldie

you need to stop the running mysql service, uninstall any installed mysql and then reinstall (thats what error: 0 is).

1)Click on start->All Programs->MySql Server 5.x->MySql Server Instance Config Wizard.

2)Click next then click on Remove Instance. Then Execute.

3)Now uninstall MySql Server using the Add/Remove Software in the windows control panel.

4)After this has been uninstalled YOU MUST MANUALLY DELETE THE FOLDER WHERE IT WAS INSTALLED. C:\\Program Files\\MySQL.

5)When this folder has been deleted you can reinstall without restarting and this time you will no longer get the error.

6)Be happy! =)

hi guys, there is a frenchy who has got some problems ...

i am playing on a french server , still using TBC 2.4.3

i tried to launch a local server ( 3.0.9 ) on my computer, and when i launch mangosd.exe , i've got a map error.

-If you get any map or dbc errors, make sure that the "datadir" field is set to "." and that your dbc and map files are up-to-date with your client in your MaNGOS core folder

datadir is "." , and my files are up-to-date.mangos rev is for build 9951 ( i'm writing this msg without the data under my eyes ) and the version of my WoW is ... build 9951 !

more precisly, the error is that the mangosd.exe could not find the map 000xxxx ... but , i watch the folder, and the map is in ! i am going mad ! :eek:

first , i wan't to make my local server running correctly ... after , i will ask you some things.

i am sorry if i did some mistakes, my english is not really good ... :mellow:

i am waiting for answers . thanks all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy Terms of Use