Eye of Acherus.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I've never subscribed to Blizzard I can't say for certain that Trinity's Eye of Acherus is truly blizzlike. However, the versions I have been able to run in Mangos (when this quest works, that is, which for me has been probably one in ten compiles and database builds) run pretty much the same way the Trinity version runs. Also, emphatically I will state that no Mangos version I have ever built has run as many quests in the DK chain as Trinity's current version, and the quests in the Trinity build appear to me to be challenging and interesting - there are no "copout" quests as I've found in other databases, none of which I've ever been able to complete anyway, because they were still broken at some quest before the end quest allowing the DK (non-GM) to transition from Scarlet Enclave to another continent to continue his/her battle.

Bottom line - I don't care whether Trinity's Eye is truly blizzlike or not. I enjoyed working through this quest, and for me at least this is all that counts. Enjoyment factor along with a reasonable challenge is all I want from WOW. Thanks for listening.

prmsye, your comments are typical of one who does not care how something works just so long as it works.

MaNGOS has the stated purpose of being educational, which means learning how to implement features in a properly integrated way that uses the correct data. This means you will find a lot of broken features. It takes time to work out how things work and then code it.

Every single server I've seen that does have those features working which are broken in MaNGOS use hacks and workarounds with hard-coded values, dummy procs, and forced checks, just to name a few, which results in an unstable and very difficult to maintain code base. This is not and never will be the way MaNGOS developers intend to achieve a fully working server.

As one who compiles and maintains his own server, I'd rather have more stability and maintainability than a Frankenstein patchwork of code. Just look at the long list of crash reports from those who do use such patched servers.

I think that's what is meant by Trinity's Eye of Acherus patch not being like retail.

SilverIce's camera patch lays the foundation that will allow this Eye of Acherus patch to become accepted into the core, once the code makes better use of it. It will also allow the gnome telescope, Eye of Kilrogg, and other spells that involve remote viewing to function correctly.

indeed unklenuke , stability is crucial but you can't hold a bug that is hunting mangos since wotlk was on(like almost 2 years)it must be at least if not fully blizzlike scripted,just to satisfy the player with a resonable blizzlikenss,since all servers are known to fail in deathknights(except trinity based ones).

UnkleNuke, you are correct to an extent - as I said in n earlier post, I've been patiently waiting for Mangos developers to come up with a DK quest chain that works. Again, the client code has been essentially in place for the past 18 months, yet what progress I have tracked with Mangos code development has been lacking in dealing with a number of basic quest chains in WotLK, and the formative quest chain that one associates with WotLK is the one for the Death Knights. And the status of Eye of Acherus on a day-to-day basis reminds me of addons AHBot's and PlayerBot's on again/off again working status. After a while, one gets frustrated building/rebuilding and breaking/unbreaking (or the converse).

Looking back at Mangos release 2.4.3.8606 Burning Crusade release, I rate this release (comparatively speaking) as "the gold standard" - this release allows one to essentially develop a character of any class, profession, etc without dead ends, with quest chains essentially pure, blizz-like and working. Also, seeing as this is a Mangos release (and I've screwed around with all the other crap releases of Ascent, ArcEmu, etc... and databases up the kazoo - none have the simple elegance nor the solid working state of the Mangos release in my estimation), I guess I'm a bit disappointed with the relatively slow rate of progress being made on the Mangos WotLK development effort. Obviously, it is a work in progress. Blizzard can testify to this as they roll out releases on an ongoing often basis. But come on, at least let's insure the DK quest chain works.

And I don't think that Trinity release is necessarily a kluged patchwork of unstable code - I've experienced no crashes running the latest version for the past 4-5 days. But at the same time I'm not running it interactively with 100 other players from a dedicated server. As said earlier, plain and simple, I'm a user, and the way I measure quality is in what appears to work with functionality that poses a challenge. And "work" means that I'm not constantly having to restart an application that crashes, or rebooting due to a BSOD.

So maybe Eye of Acherus has the hooks in place, but why in blazes does it not work most of the time?

I agree with UnkleNuke to a point, that being MaNGOS is an ongoing project, but the fact that it has become a learning project from an all Hacker start, read the history of the MaNGOS project and you'll understand what I'm stating from being there (Yes I've been gone for a long time). Now for the second point UnkleNuke made is the DK chain needs core parts that are boing worked out now as core mods and more that haven't been even started yet, example: One quest you need to use vehicles to ride a dragon and fight as well as ride in a mine care and ride a stolen horse, you need Camers to do the eye, as wel as for the finnal cut sceene, and the list goes on because doing the DK quest chain requires you to complete at least one feature per quest that is new to WOTLK and that list is accually long. So getting the DK's fully working is going to take time and understanding but not hacks...ALL HACKERS KNOW THAT HACK'S ARE FOR BREAKING! so if you want hacks use Trinity there good at it.

• 3 weeks later...

completely and utterly untrue .. i am ashamed of you viper.. HACKING by definition is to take a pre-existing system and modify it to suit one's own purposes (be those purposes negative or positive). Thus **NOT** all hacks are for breaking.

insofar as prmsye, i have to solidly agree, mangos *has* been dragging thier heels when it comes to implementing WotlK especially in concerns to the death knight. They can claim this or that being the reason, I disagree... ok lets put it out there.. they say that the "hacks" are bad code, are they? ok.. so then that would say they know how to do it RIGHT wouldnt it? i mean, if the hacks are WRONG, then the only way to prove that is to show that he work right?

you made excellent points about 2.43 as well..

personally I do not see trinity as being the answer... they have too many devs in control of everything which leads to one dev overwriting another devs fixes consistantly.. thats why you can commonly find spirithealers getting a tan in durotar and other flaws that change on a day to day basis there.. Mangos is the best, i wont take that away from them... but the excuses they make for taking so long to produce anything viable for wotlk are just that..excuses

For those who want to use it with vehicle patch, this should fix eye movement:

@@ -265,17 +265,16 @@ void Object::BuildMovementUpdate(ByteBuffer * data, uint16 updateFlags) const
                /*if (((Creature*)unit)->hasUnitState(UNIT_STAT_MOVING))
                    unit->m_movementInfo.SetMovementFlags(MOVEFLAG_FORWARD);*/

if (((Creature*)unit)->canFly())
                {
-                    // (ok) most seem to have this
-                    unit->m_movementInfo.AddMovementFlag(MOVEFLAG_LEVITATING);
+                    unit->m_movementInfo.AddMovementFlag(MOVEFLAG_CAN_FLY);

if (!((Creature*)unit)->hasUnitState(UNIT_STAT_MOVING))
                    {
                        // (ok) possibly some "hover" mode
-                        unit->m_movementInfo.AddMovementFlag(MOVEFLAG_ROOT);
+                        //unit->m_movementInfo.AddMovementFlag(MOVEFLAG_ROOT);
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        if (((Creature*)unit)->IsMounted())
                        {

completely and utterly untrue .. i am ashamed of you viper.. HACKING by definition is to take a pre-existing system and modify it to suit one's own purposes (be those purposes negative or positive). Thus **NOT** all hacks are for breaking.

Sorry HSC, but this isn't the place really to continue this because it's really off subject and don't be ashamed because if you look at history what have Hackers always done...they broke it to give it away free example: Office 2003 they ripped out the anti Piracy security broke the program just so ppl could get it free and half the dam thing no longer worked so the then stole a bunch of CD Key's and got MS PO'ed at them.

• 2 weeks later...

if you look into silverice's posting on the first page first post you'll see a new Eye patch that does work with cameras also if you asked HSC nicely I'm shure he'd give to the new patch fully working as well due to the fact that he has it full working on his server and tested....

The eye of acherus not working after commit camera system , the mob can t move where is the bug ?

Just comment in SpellAuras.cpp in section Aura::HandleModPossess this row:

//((Creature*)target)->AIM_Initialize();

(important: comment only the upper row, because it has twice.)

or take ready for use: The Eye of Acherus patch for MaNGOS rev. [10109] to [10155] the last.

http://filebeam.com/1afdebc83eabc70f271df8ef55f52bac

Thanks to tester20 and SilverIce.

Note:

unifieddb still needs fixes to can be seen the mobs in New Avalon village.

and this is necessary only, if You use the vehicle patch:

UPDATE creature_template SET InhabitType = 3 WHERE entry = 28511;

Edit:

necessary again to rewrite the source code of the patch, because it does not work after MaNGOS commit [10156].

(but I have no knowledge) and so We will have to wait.

Is there a work around instead of the patch? perhaps just make it auto complete? so the chain can be continued? i would be satasified with that.. i searched everywhere and cant seem to find one.. either that or im simply not doing it right and appologize in advance, before you could abondon it then it would just let you complete it but for some reason it dont work that way anymore im not sure if this is more of a DB issue or not but any kind of work around would work.

Is there a work around instead of the patch? perhaps just make it auto complete? so the chain can be continued? i would be satasified with that.. i searched everywhere and cant seem to find one.. either that or im simply not doing it right and appologize in advance, before you could abondon it then it would just let you complete it but for some reason it dont work that way anymore im not sure if this is more of a DB issue or not but any kind of work around would work.

For auto complete quest you need put '0' in all requierement whith Quice .

Over in the UDB forums, there is a custom database mod that is designed to "jumpstart" DKs by auto-completing quests, awarding talent points, giving spells, and gear as if your DK toon had done everything needed in the starting area.

It only works for UDB, so you will need to look around other DB groups' forums for an equivalent patch if your database is other than UDB.