Vehicles (Dev)

Guest AuntieMangos

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since nobody want's to put up a patch for current, I am doing so to help.

This patch includes the seporated patches into one and my fix of the charge spell.

http://paste2.org/p/966438

I've tested it on UDB and YTDB, sofar with no problems.Remember I just fixed it to merge and compile no other changes exept that spell in the sql's

with this patch, somethign works fine, but I can't Enter on a vehicle for example in ulduar. only multimounts are working.

marx123, I'm working on it but it is slow and a lot to figgure out...but atleast I've got most of the digging done. I have the fix for the mounts them selves, I've located the auras needed, and the spells to summon. now I'm doing testing with what I have. The good part is YTDB doesn't really need much but I'm still running to the Stables error with UDB...

Well here's a base for Vehicles, all I did was combine the 4 main sql's pluse my mount fix sql's and the fix for the charge spell cleaned it up and tested by running it into a clean UDB and YTDB databases just to make sure they didn't error on apply but atleast this makes it easier to get the sql's inplace with less confusion. Hopefully it will be good enough for everyone.

Link: http://pastebin.com/w2rLg6h0

Just curious, is this the rewrite of vehicles patch in a way MaNGOS devs want it (iirc a certain sql table was a problem) or just an updated version of the longer existing 'old vehicles patch'?

Regards

Skirnir

I'm trying to implement vehicles without hacks using some ideas from old patch and from TC vehicles (and ofc using data from sniffs). Currently I plan to rewrite 60% of my current code (rewrite of rewrite, lol). If MaNGOS devs give some comments about my implementation I'll start working to improve it in way they want.

I had an Idea on the vehicles a long time ago and Netsky was working that way when he left. My Idea was to set up basic controle mod for the core and script in each of the vehicles or groups of vehicles as needed...the good part to this was that the controle part could be used for other things like Outdoor PVP as an example...look at it kinda like SD2 but more specialized with the nice part that if a certain vehicle gets changed over time you don't have to rewrite the whole thing just one script.

An external scripting module would help vehicles dev (and speed it up) for sure, but keep in mind it's still a "hacky" way (imo)

For master branch, the goal is not to have as much things working (or partially working) as possible. The goal is to implement everything we can in a proper way

I don't know how many vehicles there are, obviously a lot less than scripted bosses. And vehicles don't have a very specific AI/behavior which would justify something like SD2.

True, and when you go to sites like WOWDB, wowhead and soforth they all state that the vehicles are side scripted wich really meens they are scripted just like SD2 and other such stuff. For myself I can really justify scripting the vehicles or maybe we just need to expand what SD2 can do in core so that the vehicles are covered.... A lot of things can be scripted instead of hard coded in core and I'm not stating this plus DB support because we can actually reduce that by including the neccasary spells and auras in their proper places in core and call them from script IE: Argent Tourny all 12 mounts use basicly 2 different auras that are cast on the player permantly and then the 12 mounts which are basicly a grand total of 4 spells... and then the spells the mounts have only 3 need to be fixed and all 12 use the same spells.. this wouldn't be hard to script really.... and would also reduce load on server when not in use could concivably be unloaded.

@FerkEl, No SD2 can't handle it if you had read the post you would have read

maybe we just need to expand what SD2 can do in core so that the vehicles are covered.
...Most of the Vehicle coding can be handled just like a script in SD2 ie: call vehicle+handle spells and auras+do complicated actions...if you look at most of the vehicles now, they are really just scripts compiled in core instead of using outside handlers. Another good example would be OutdoorPvP...it has the main control that is a core mod and all of the zones are scripted and compiled in core and this is what makes it so bad trying to update it or make it work. now as far as I know there are only 22 to 24 vehicles total in game at present and about half are just use overs between Horde and Allience or same vehicle with different models so all we would really have to script in is about 12 vehicles, that seems more doable than just hard encoding with no real way to change or fix.

I think DaViper is saying just that, FeRkEl. You would add scripts for vehicles to ScriptDev2. I suppose the best way to do it would be to add their scripts to the appropriate folders in SD2 for the zone/instance in question.

Have a basic handler module in the MaNGOS core, like Vehicle.cpp and Vehicle.h, then specific vehicles would be loaded by SD2 when called by the core module.

Did I get that right, DV?

just replace that word with "assert" ,lower characters.

Better to use MANGOS_ASSERT now, Vladimir just modified that.

About the SD2 vehicles, I don't really see how vehicles could be handled with an external scripting system actually.

call vehicle+handle spells and auras+do complicated actions...

This is quite vague. Imho, the spell and auras should definitely be handled by the core.

Can you give an example of a "complicated action" a vehicle does? I think those complicated action are supposed to be handled by the spells themselves.

im not so sure this can be tagged as "complicated action" but for instance in the Gunship Battle fight inside ICC, the "cannons" are vehicles, and there is something like "upon reaching 100 heat, the vehicle will be locked (unusable) for some seconds"