[DEV] Dungeon Finder

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
R2 contains all stuff on rsa branch? or it's totally different?

All. Also many new stuff. rsa branch now not stable - only for experiments.

comments would be interesting if they wouldn't be on russian ><

comments are writed on source language :) i not know Deutsch or Español, but it does not stop me to talk to any (adjusted for quality of Google-translate of course :)

• 2 months later...

soo lezz revive it.

There are few things I don't quite understand in all dungeon finder implementations:

- why there are different queues for players and groups ?

- why looking for raid feature tends to be mixed with dungeon finder - I mean if they should be entirely different things or LFR just displays "hidden" in LFD info in different way (i.e. players/groups queued for specific instance)

discuss ^_^

soo lezz revive it.

There are few things I don't quite understand in all dungeon finder implementations:

- why there are different queues for players and groups ?

- why looking for raid feature tends to be mixed with dungeon finder - I mean if they should be entirely different things or LFR just displays "hidden" in LFD info in different way (i.e. players/groups queued for specific instance)

discuss ^_^

1. I prefer to have only groups in queue - look at eye icon near minimap, it shows which roles are already in, so it seems logical. Yes, I have my own implementation of Dungeon finder, but its written by teenage guy who wants to know "how the hell it works", and it looks by it. But I'll help with everything I can.

2. Well, It uses same packets for instance. LFR is just another category of Dungeon finder, although it works differently. (I am not really sure I properly understand your question, sorry if I am answering to different thing Oo)

2. Well, It uses same packets for instance. LFR is just another category of Dungeon finder, although it works differently. (I am not really sure I properly understand your question, sorry if I am answering to different thing Oo)

I meant if there is any info that LFR has something in common with dungeon finder in how it should be implemented or it can be something entirely different that just happens to share some packet/s with LFD

It just shows other players joined for raids and their roles(and comments). It will not port into instance, it will not create raid, Raid leader must do that by himself. Its just place where you get players for pug, pretty much like old Looking for Dungeon. So it should be done separately I think. Anyway, its not really much popular on official servers...

It just shows other players joined for raids and their roles(and comments). It will not port into instance, it will not create raid, Raid leader must do that by himself. Its just place where you get players for pug, pretty much like old Looking for Dungeon.

Please add - "in off". because I have most LFG possibility in LFR too:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still buggy and unfinished but i pushed my LFG implementation.

I need to remember all my precedent work on it and retest all.

But if you have comment.

warning, core is running but i do not recommand you any real testing on live server.

Some minor modification must be done on Database.

Files are in /sql/DungeonFinder

Reversible change for any sql users.

I remember that dungeon reward need working detection of dungeonencounters.

I already take a look around that but there is too much work to do, so i ve decided to focus on LFG code only. When this code will be enought develloped and stable if no one have already done any work on dungeon encounters i will see what i can do.

So for now reward will not be developed.

@angeleyes:

Dungeon encounters, especially bosses, are usually done in ScriptDev2. I know several bosses are broken or simply not yet scripted, especially in the dungeons you listed. Usually, this is due to missing or broken features in the core that prevent the scripts from working as designed. Once those features are implemented or fixed, it doesn't take too long before the SD2 crew has a script in place. There are development threads in the SD2 forums for Nexus, Utgarde Pinnacle, Violet Hold, and several other dungeons/encounters that are not yet completed.

I look forward to your continued work on LFG/DF, cyberium. Let's hope others will jump in to lend a hand.

For any one have take a look to the code, yes i use smartpointer on first stage of lfg. When the code will be enought mature and published under "under review section" i will reevaluate this following official dev comment.

For now after done some testing i see there is still lot of thing to do.

First part for me is to make it stable, clean the code and try to make it less complex.

See you all.

Hello,

Some news.

I have corrected some timer bug and group joining queue.

Cleaned unused code and added some debug info.

I discovered this commit "[11785] Implement dungeon encounters (DBC part)". Yeah i think i will implement (at least) basic reward with these wonderful commit!

But i prefer for now continue on the main code. Simplify is the hard part. Classes are not so clear than i wanted. Make more classes with less feature? I dont know for now.

Question about "try to replace one member leaved group" (my actual developement)

If someone leave an lfg group, is leader show an popup with rejoining queue proposal?

Only leader recieve this popup?

Is that proposal always sended no mater if dungeon is finished or not?

If leader accept proposal, rolescheck recasted?

Iam hunting all instabilities/crash so if anyone tested this patch and experienced some of them i will be happy to get any feedback.

Cheers

I am unsure how the DF/LFG in 3.3.5a should work, but I do know that 4.0.6-4.2.2a on retail works in this way:

1. One or more members leave the party. This prompts party leader to re-queue.

2. When re-queue is selected, remaining members must do role check again.

3. While waiting for new members to join, party members can continue to play through the dungeon.

4. Party members also have choice to teleport from dungeon at any time. They are returned to last location before they joined the dungeon.

5. So long as they are still in the party, members who have teleported out can also choose to teleport back to the dungeon and continue play if their role has not been taken by another player.

If party leader does not choose to re-queue, remaining party can continue to play through the dungeon but no new members can join using DF. New members can join the dungeon if they are invited to group and enter dungeon by summoning spells or using entry portal.

If a player does not wish to continue, they may leave in two ways:

1. Drop party and be automatically teleported from dungeon to last location before they joined.

2. Choose to teleport from dungeon and then drop from the party. Player is returned to last location before they joined.

Vote Kicking:

A player may be kicked from a dungeon party if at least three members vote yes to kick that player. Any member may initiate a Vote Kick. Player who initiates Vote Kick is prompted to provide a reason, but it is not required and can be left blank. All other party members are then presented with a notification that a Vote Kick has been called for specified player and the reason for why the player should be kicked. Each player may choose Yes or No. If no choice is made before timer expires, a vote of "No" is automatically chosen for that player. I do not recall if the timer is 5 seconds or 10 seconds. The player being kicked may not vote and is only notified they are the subject of a Vote Kick and the reason why.

Vote kick has a cooldown timer intended to prevent abuse where some punk will kick another player just to make everyone miserable. I am unsure of the length of the cooldown. All those who vote "Yes" during a Vote Kick have this cooldown applied. Those who vote "No" do not have the cooldown.

A player who has been kicked also has a cooldown timer where they may not be kicked again until the timer expires. This is intended to prevent one player from being targeted by others, such as a guild kicking someone from dungeons repeatedly just because that player is not in their guild. I am also not sure how long this timer lasts.

I think both cooldown timers for Vote Kick and being kicked is 3 hours, but I have not played in a long time and could be wrong about this. There is also a limit on the number of times in a 24-hour period that a player may vote "Yes" to kick someone. There is also a limit on how many times a player may be kicked from a dungeon in a 24-hour period. I think that limit is four times for both, but it could be as low as three or as high as six. the exact number will need to be verified.

Is that proposal always sended no mater if dungeon is finished or not? yes

If leader accept proposal, rolescheck recasted? don't know. probably not

1)if dungeon is finished - haven't seen any pop up

2)rolecheck is always run when lfg group joins queue(doesn't matter if leader or group member initiated it)

5. So long as they are still in the party, members who have teleported out can also choose to teleport back to the dungeon and continue play if their role has not been taken by another player.

If party leader does not choose to re-queue, remaining party can continue to play through the dungeon but no new members can join using DF. New members can join the dungeon if they are invited to group and enter dungeon by summoning spells or using entry portal.

not sure but I think if you remain in the group and all encounters are complete you can't teleport back there.

about re-queue - are you sure that only party leader can run it?

@Electros:

Teleporting out of a dungeon will not return you to the dungeon entry portal, unless that is the last location where your character was at before entering the dungeon with the DF. Typically, I would situate myself near the vendors and bank in a major city before joining the DF queue. This allowed me the luxury of quickly selling off junk and placing items to be auctioned or used later into my bank before the next queue came up. It also allowed me to do the same while in a dungeon, pop out to the city to clear my bags and then teleport back in during those moments when the party stopped for a break or while waiting for new players to join through the DF to replace those that dropped out.

not sure but I think if you remain in the group and all encounters are complete you can't teleport back there. about re-queue - are you sure that only party leader can run it?

Even if the dungeon is finished, so long as you do not drop from the group, you may teleport back to the dungeon. If all others drop, you are automatically promoted to Dungeon Leader anyways. You will appear in the last location of the dungeon your character occupied before teleporting out. I have done this many times on retail just to explore a dungeon to become familiar with the layout, even after the dungeon had been completed by the group.

The Dungeon Leader is the only one who may initiate a re-queue for the dungeon finder. When a player dropped out and the leader re-queued, a role-check dialog would pop up for all the remaining members. Those who confirmed their role would remain and be added back into the queue. Those that chose not to confirm would be teleported from the dungeon and removed from the queue and the dungeon group.

Regarding Dungeon Groups and Parties:

I should probably clarify that the Dungeon Group is a special sort of party a player joins when using the DF. A Dungeon Group supersedes all other party groups. It is possible to be in a party with one or more players while also being in a Dungeon Group just as it is possible for someone in your party to join a Dungeon Group while you continued to adventure or quest in the world. This prevented the Dungeon Finder from disrupting adventuring parties. Upon leaving a dungeon, the player is dropped from the Dungeon Group, but not his party he was in before joining the queue. It works the same for Battlegrounds and Raids. However, if your Party Leader joins a dungeon queue, all other party members are automatically presented with a Role Check. You can choose a role and join the queue with your party or refuse the Role Check and remain in the world to adventure. Parties entering the DF will remain together, with empty roles filled by other players in the DF.

Performing Role Checks:

When entering the Dungeon queue, you are presented with a Role Check dialog. On the Role Check dialog, there are three standard choices: Tank, Healer, and DPS. The fourth checkbox is for Dungeon Guide. This designates a player as the Dungeon Group leader, but it can be passed on to any other player the same as Party Leader status works. Refusing a Role Check at any time will automatically remove a player from the dungeon queue.

About the Dungeon Finder Mini-Map Icon:

This icon is situated on the bottom-left part of the mini-map border, roughly at the 7 o'clock position, near the clock appearing at the bottom-middle portion. Once you have joined the dungeon queue using the DF button in the Menu Bar, this icon automatically shows. It has the appearance of a green monster eye. While waiting in the queue, you can right-click this icon and choose "Leave Queue" to drop out before a dungeon becomes available. By hovering the mouse over this icon, it will bring up a small window just to the left of the icon that shows time spent in the queue and estimated time before the Dungeon Group is filled and ready to enter the dungeon. Icons for each role appear below the time estimate. The roles that are filled will be checked while unfilled roles are grayed-out and unchecked.

The choice of teleporting out of or back into a dungeon is done by right-clicking the Dungeon Finder icon and selecting to teleport. You are only given a single choice, to teleport out or teleport back, depending on if you are inside or already outside of the dungeon.

You may leave a dungeon in progress at any time by right-clicking the Dungeon Finder icon and choosing "Leave Dungeon". This removes you from both the Dungeon Group and the DF queue.

Re-joining The Queue:

Once a dungeon is completed, you can choose to teleport out of the dungeon or exit through the dungeon portal. You cannot queue up for another dungeon while you are already in a Dungeon Group. You must first leave the Dungeon. This is done by right-clicking the Dungeon Finder Icon on the mini-map and choosing "Leave Dungeon". You may then use the DF to join a new queue for the same dungeon or a new dungeon.

As I have said, this is how it worked for 4.0.6-4.2.2a on retail. There were some big changes made to the LFG/DF features after 4.0.6, such as cross-server grouping allowing you to join dungeon queues with friends who were on other servers, the "Call To Arms" feature meant to shorten queue times by giving special rewards to those that joined a dungeon as tank or healer. The Raid Finder was also finally given its own button next to the DF/LFG and PvP/BG buttons in 4.2.2.

Cross-server grouping only applied to those in your Friends list using Real ID and could only be used for instances, not normal world game play.