[11723][PATCH]Auction House Bot

Auntie Mangos

Ok, it will be not my/or any member decision, we know, it. So stop complain and wait official answear (if any).

There is at least 4 choices :

- This will be lost in the deep of this thread du to lack of any answear...

- This is not good enought to enter in the core in this stage (need to be improved/adapted/completed )

- This is not wanted (go rejected)

- This is accepted and you'll see traditional in [rev]

Iam sure we will have an answear soon, so just wait the dev have probably more important stuff to do than verify an optional feature.

Just i must say i will soon have more limited time to work on it... But iam sure if any, another dev will work on it.

Greetings.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the outcome, cyberium, you have done a magnificent job in properly implementing the features vladex requested to make it possible for AHBot to be considered for addition into the core.

It may take some time, cyberium. AHBot does not actually fix any broken content or implement missing features. Those patches that do will have priority in the queue. Until AHBot is reviewed, everyone use this time to refine and expand its functionality until the patch can be as close to perfection as possible.

Some purists may argue that it is not "retail-like", but it does indeed offer low-population servers an approximation of a thriving auction house, allowing the players to experience buying and selling items at auction. This in turn allows students, who are learning about these types of games, to understand not just the technical side of program code and database values, but the dynamics of a virtual economy in an MMO environment.

MaNGOS is not simply about being a slavish copy of retail functions. It is also about giving server admins and testers the opportunity to enjoy and learn from content otherwise unattainable due to lack of numbers. Battlegrounds and most dungeons and raids would otherwise be beyond the reach of such small servers, if it were not for functions already implemented into the core which allow for adjusting the required parameters.

For those of you who do not use such features, you're free to disable any "unretail" content. Any further debate in this regard is pointless simply because it is not your call to make. It is not the purpose of the Under Review section for the general membership to judge the worthiness of any patch based solely on personal preference.

Allow cyberium the courtesy of having the core devs review it and judge for themselves. He wrote some good code. Let him have his moment.

i agree on the side of a non-blizzlike content but still it should be added ,and set do 0(disable) by default ,so it won't affect the retail-likers.Besides it's hard keep a separate branch from the original repo up-to-date,you have to ask the original dev to make changes and at one point if that dev will be afk for a long time(hope it won't happen) then most of the work will be probably lost if no one else i going to restart it and improve it.

And cheers for cyberium and xeross for developing the project to a final good point.

Just a suggestion, but it would be neat to add essentially heat maps for some items.

For example, around Christmas time, there are all of the items that are needed for the cooking recipes like Small Eggs that shoot up in price drastically. I think it would be really cool to add this to some items, so that for example, if it was in high demand it would not be supplying at extremely low cost, and if there were sellers that were selling at higher prices (due to the high demand) the bot would still buy it (within acceptable limitations).

I think this would allow for market fluctuation, even if they are fabricated, and make it much more realistic. Now, you don't have to (and I am not suggesting that you should) get the data for every item in the game, but maybe get some for items that have commonly large fluctuations that are predictable, such as Small Eggs.

Actually, that heatmap idea would be a fantastic way to judge the overall ebb and flow of a server's economy and give any player a decent idea, at a glance, of just what's hot and what's not when deciding on how to bid or where to set a price when placing an item on the auction block.

However, I see this working better as a plug-in for a web server, similar to many good PHP scripts for MaNGOS administration and player information like the M-B Armory.

Yeah, it would work good both ways. I know somewhere on the official site there is a page that shows the most expensive, most bought/sold, etc. items. You could probably rip some information off of that, and then have two heat-maps that get combined, one of the current realm economy, and one of aggregated official data, which could be combined to create an accurate pricing schema.

I believe that this patch should be added... as long as this doesn't effect the content..

I mean everything else it's blizzlike scripted until now, this is just a feature that can/can not be anabled...

Like this patch many other pathces should be added, IN MY OPINION (I don't wanna somebody to understand different).. patches like playerbot, and others with cool features that do not effect the blizzlike content!

With respect,

Axel

There does have to be a limit to which "non-retail" patches you can add to the core. Otherwise, you run the risk of making an already massive project so cumbersome that further development would be an absolute mess.

AHBot adds a feature that benefits players without deeply impacting certain critical areas or overburdening the tasks of core upkeep and development.

Other core mods do not necessarily meet those same criteria, no matter how useful they may be. Playerbot is ten times as complex as AHBot, and makes deep modifications to the core to such an extent that it should have its own dev team, lest it risk falling to the bottom of the stack in the TODO list if it were part of the core.

As it stands, some features are so complicated that it may be desirable to break the core development into sub-groups. Vehicles, mmaps redux, Transports, and Dungeon Finder come to mind as candidates for such a development scheme.

No there isn't any progress otherwise you would see this thread in ...accepted and your long enough with the mangos to know that ;)

AHbot is a ~3.5k lines patch (at least the last version I extracted was that long), it takes time to review such a big one. Beside that not every dev is interested in reviewing this patch. To sum it up: every second day nagging if there was progress isn't really helpful. Just look at devs list right now. People want a crash free server, people want a 4.0.1 server, people want outdoor pvp, mmaps, multithreading, npcs on transports, vehicles (just to sum up some of the most urgent things) and of course every other little bug fixed and not anytime, but now.

MaNGOS isn't like many other open source projects. Devs have a life beside developing for mangos master branch. People need to work for money to feed their own and other peoples stomachs AND there is absolutely nothing and no one forcing them to implement anything in MaNGOS other people want them to do. MaNGOS devs can't live from developing the core. If a guy like Linus Torvalds can review thousands of code lines every day, he can do so because he's payed for. MaNGOS instead is a learning project in a legal gray zone and I doubt that this will change anytime. So have patience and enjoy a working patch until a dev decides whether or not it's implemented.

Regards

Skirnir

PS: Yeah I know you wont stop posting, but just like you I'm a fan of this patch and seeing new replies always makes me hope there was anything "important" :)

No there isn't any progress otherwise you would see this thread in ...accepted and your long enough with the mangos to know that ;)

AHbot is a ~3.5k lines patch (at least the last version I extracted was that long), it takes time to review such a big one. Beside that not every dev is interested in reviewing this patch. To sum it up: every second day nagging if there was progress isn't really helpful. Just look at devs list right now. People want a crash free server, people want a 4.0.1 server, people want outdoor pvp, mmaps, multithreading, npcs on transports, vehicles (just to sum up some of the most urgent things) and of course every other little bug fixed and not anytime, but now.

MaNGOS isn't like many other open source projects. Devs have a life beside developing for mangos master branch. People need to work for money to feed their own and other peoples stomachs AND there is absolutely nothing and no one forcing them to implement anything in MaNGOS other people want them to do. MaNGOS devs can't live from developing the core. If a guy like Linus Torvalds can review thousands of code lines every day, he can do so because he's payed for. MaNGOS instead is a learning project in a legal gray zone and I doubt that this will change anytime. So have patience and enjoy a working patch until a dev decides whether or not it's implemented.

Regards

Skirnir

PS: Yeah I know you wont stop posting, but just like you I'm a fan of this patch and seeing new replies always makes me hope there was anything "important" :)

Yes you are right, I have seen a lot of people trying to develop "huge" patch and not be maintained, integrated, and leave the project.

Of course I have seen why it never happens for good reasons, but I am afraid that no more big patch will never be developped because the probability to be integrated will be near 0%

but it is my point of view as you sayed

P.S.

but it is also, I have no clues, how long it takes for a patch like this to be reviewed ?

I have a good example of a huge patch that took forever to implement: the procflag patch.

It was around forever while I was a member and finally get integrated.

There are plenty of other examples. If you really want a patch to be implemented in a decent amount of time you need to split it up into sections (I know it's a little harder for the AHBot patch since everything kind of works together.) But yeah, just don't be impatient, once they get to it, they get to it.