SmyM - Database Frontend

Sisores

Hi there,

I'm working on some kind of database frontend for MaNGOS, right now especially for MaNGOSZero.

Used technologies (could change during progress):

- Client Side: HTML5, CSS3 (Bootstrap), JavaScript (jQuery, Backbone.js)

- Server Side: PHP (Idiorm/Paris, Dwoo, JSend), MySQL (MaNGOS DB)

* API: JSON (RESTful?)

I don't have much to show just yet, but I wanted to start a general discussion. For me it's more an educational project trying out some new things with PHP, APIs and Backbone.js. I know that most servers are using aowow as their database frontend, which is okay imo, but rather hard to maintain or extend.

smym.png

My approach is to move the database communication into an own library. The use of OR-Mapping and namespaces will make the database communication replaceable, due to the differences between releases and database modifications. Models will be defined for keys and relations. The data will be available by simple commands instead of messing with the database itself.

I'm not much of a web-designer, doing fancy good looking stuff, but I would like to give the opportunity to do so for other people by including a templating engine.

I never did things with REST, so this would be completely new to me, but I'd like to use JSON as the notation for exchanging data.

I'd also like to try out Backbone.js, but that would rather be something in the templating part. When the data is provided by a good API, one can use whatever prefered to handle it.

Well, that was my part. What do you think? Is there a need for a new database frontend? Do you like the idea of an API based approach? Do you have questions, criticism or suggestions? Let's discuss!

smym.png.29cc74e1a3774e905f21f3312b4f37f

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there,

thanks for the responses, I really appreciate that.

I'm still messing around with some basic stuff (especially API design, which is essential) and I'm not satisfied yet and I don't want to show something before I am.

@Talendrys: It's WIP, so I'd rather like to be disturbed now, than starting all over when I thought that I'm done. ;)

Archived