It has been a while since I have been here due to real life once again getting very busy, but I wanted to pop back in and make a small proposition to everybody in the Mangos community, and especially to those in the following categories:

Especially to @antz @madmax @Necrovoice @Rochet2 @Talendrys @H0zen @Tuker @bdebaere (in no real order :P) as I feel you all have not only the experience but the passion to provide valuable insights in a shared space. There is a fairly recent Reddit page created by a former The Rebirth moderator, which is also co-moderated by members of other projects such as Kronos, Warmane, Elysium, Nostralia, and is also frequented by members of the Cmangos project such as Killerwife. I feel that this Reddit page captures the feel of the community when we all still were together, aiming for a common goal. Please consider at least reading some of what is posted there, and maybe contribute to a conversation or two. This is a great way for us to reconnect with the community, and to also bring more people in as we try to improve not only Mangos, but the community we are all a part of and love. Please understand that I don't mean to post this as a promotion, but as an invitation. Our community has been broken for far, far too long, and a shared place where we can talk as a council is something that has been badly needed.

Here is the link for the page itself, named LegacyRealms: https://www.reddit.com/r/LegacyRealms/

And here is a direct link to their full rule list: https://www.reddit.com/r/LegacyRealms/wiki/rules

If anybody is unsure of how to use Reddit, please let me know here or in a private message and I will help. If you want to find posts of a specific topic just click the search bar in the top right of the Reddit page, then check the box that says "limit my search to r/LegacyRealms".

@Akar Thank you for the invitation, It is a sentiment I also share, each split has diminished the wow emu community dramatically.

I left the emu scene myself for many years after witnessing the meltdown which caused the TC split and I was in the centre of the storm when the cmangos split happened.
- I was involved in the subsequent brokering of the 'stop the war of words' approach between the two groups, and I did approach Cala among others to try and work on improving the documentation as a joint effort.

I have always reached out to like minded individuals to try and share information and work together, after all - There is no need to act as rivals, we all have the same goal !!

That is precisely why I wanted to invite you all! We have a good group of people here and I didn't want our side of the community to miss out on the conversations and information going on at LegacyRealms. Topics range from private servers, emulation, the community, development, open source, etc. With people from the individual servers being run, open source developers, and fans all meeting there, I think it provides not only a good place to talk, but to see what the overall thoughts of the community are, and what people are hoping to see. I hope to see you all there soon!

Thank you for this kind message.

I share your view that together we could achieve more. We all have talented teams who dedicate a lot of their free time to the World of Warcraft emulation scene. The only common challenge at least for classic is availability of data.

I wasn't around back then but I feel it's a shame that there ever was rivalry. I guess it stems from the time when there was money to be made from a private server. Having your server be just a little bit better so people would flock to it. I sincerely hope that period has passed and what's left are enthusiasts who wish to recreate the experience. And seeing Elysium going open source for example has definitely made me cheerful about that prospect.

The one thing I would want is for people to contribute more to the original source. After all, Mangos is the project that started it all and anything deriving from it should contribute. That is why I am here, I noticed other projects are too far ahead and wish to tilt the scales back in Mangos' favor.

On 7/4/2017 at 4:29 PM, bdebaere said:

I guess it stems from the time when there was money to be made from a private server. Having your server be just a little bit better so people would flock to it. I sincerely hope that period has passed and what's left are enthusiasts who wish to recreate the experience.

This competition pretty much killed the Dark Age of Camelot private server community.  No one was ever willing to share their databases with each other.  So even as recently as a year ago (the last time I messed with them) the databases available online were totally broken and incomplete.

I'm pretty new to the WoW server community, and while I have noticed some fragmentation, I didn't realize it had gotten as bad as some of you had mentioned.

I'll definitely check out the reddit when I'm able.

@Talendrys I could possibly do that, but would want to stay connected via Skype to the dev circle so I can get an idea of where our side of things stands compared with the rest of the community.

@bdebaere There are a lot of people that are aiming to patch things up in different areas, so luckily the community is coming around (a little bit :P). Unfortunately, money is still very much a goal in the community, but from a development standpoint if you are running a server 24/7, bug fixing, updating and so on, I don't think there are any people that would want to do it or could do it without some reward. I don't like it, but I understand it.

@saltyteabag When it comes to WoW emulation the databases often are not directly compatible. Those databases can be used as reference points for other projects, however. If Cmangos fixes something really important that we don't have fixed, we could see how they fixed it an potentially implement a fix based off of that. The competition is usually between a few developers and largely exists among the fanbase these days.

@Akar I have always tried to welcome input from other groups, which is one of the reasons I insisted that the accounts of the members who left to form cmangos were kept rather than being deleted / banned.

It is my belief that there are definite benefits to working together. A recent example of this is with the Eluna Team and ourselves - We started off working together to get Eluna added to mangos, then when their hosting went south - we offered them and their users a home here at getMaNGOS.eu

I am always happy to chat to people to discuss ideas and to brainstorm or help.

If you give me your skype name by pm, i'll add you and we can chat more :D

Archived